ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Marriage customs  (läst 1970 gånger)

2016-10-27, 19:19
läst 1970 gånger

Utloggad Jay Hagfeldt

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 29
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-14, 02:18
    • Visa profil
Hi all,

I recently visited cousins in Östmark, Värmland and had a wonderful visit.  Our cousins took us to the farm where my great grandfather was born and later to the church he attended.  They also helped us understand much of Swedish customs and life.

When we returned home I was so inspired, that I revisited the research I had done a few decades ago, armed with a better understanding.  It has opened up new questions and avenues of thought I hadn't considered before.

One of the questions I have is regarding a marriage of my ggg grandfather to a woman who was 46 years older than he.  At first I thought it was a mistake in the records, but now I think it is correct.

My ggg grandfather was Per Jonsson, born in 1746.  He later became a soldier in Gräsmark, and took the name of Högfeldt.  My original thought was that maybe when he became a soldier, he had to marry the previous soldier's widow when he moved onto the soldatorp.  But I found he married this woman several years before he became a soldier.

The woman's name was Lisa Pålsdatter born in 1700.
The were married in 1765 when he was 19 and she was about 65.
What circumstances would bring about such a marriage?

This has me stumped.

When Lisa passed away in 1782, Per remarried, and my ancestral line comes thru the second marriage.

Regards.
Jay Hagfeldt

2016-10-28, 22:05
Svar #1

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 234
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-16, 21:10
    • Visa profil
Common amongst farmers, where to hold on to the tenancy and to farm economically,  a married couple needed to live on the farm. A widower would remarry with a young wife as soon as possible, to look after young children being one reason, and perhaps to give him more children to work on the farm.  A widow had to wait her year of mourning but then would marry a young farm hand, who would be capable of hard work being the main reason, otherwise she would not keep hold of the farm.  Nevertheless the age difference you quote is at the extreme of the range.  But it was one way for an otherwise poor male to get a stake in a farm, not otherwise attainable from meagre farm workers wages.

2016-10-29, 02:06
Svar #2

Utloggad Jay Hagfeldt

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 29
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-14, 02:18
    • Visa profil
Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.  From that perspective it makes sense.  Maybe if I can find the estate inventory record from Lisa's previous marriage, it could help shed more light.  Since Per and Lisa were married in 1765 and Per became a soldier in 1777, then moved, it would seem he and Lisa were not able to hold on to the farm.  From what I understand about some my ancestors in Sweden, they were at times very poor.  They lived in the Östmark, Gräsmark, Gunnarskog parish areas of Värmland. 

Regards.
Jay   

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna