ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Information on Jonas Johnson, born 1833 in Jonkoping vastra  (läst 5230 gånger)

2017-06-09, 21:34
läst 5230 gånger

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 316
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-21, 18:15
    • Visa profil

I am looking for the parents' names of Jonas Jonsson, my great grandfather, who worked in the match factory in Jonkopings.  Here is data from the 1890 census and the 1900 census.
In census 1890:

Jonsson, Jonas, Arbetare (worker)
 born 1833 in Jönköping västra (west)
 Married man, father in family.
 Living: Arbetarbostaden 6A in Jönköpings västra. Married to

Svensdotter (Svensd:r) Johanna,
 born 1834 in Bondstorp (Jönköpings län, Children:

Alma Josefina born 1866 in Jönköpings västra Clara Justina born 1870 in Jönköpings västra Olga Eleonora born 1881 in Jönköpings västra

In census 1900:

Jonsson Jonas born 1833, worker in the match factory in Jönköping (as the son)
 Living Norra Kvarteret (= the north block) in Jönköpings västra
 Married to

Svensdotter, Johanna

Child: Olga Eleonora born 1881

2017-06-09, 22:52
Svar #1

Utloggad Leif Lundkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4518
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 03:37
    • Visa profil
The family is found in Jönköpings Sofia AI:36 (1889-1897) Bild 77 / sid 71 (AID: v23219.b77.s71, NAD: SE/VALA/00171). Jonas is born 1833-06-25 but it is not as easy as to just look up him in the birth records, i don't find him there.

2017-06-09, 23:04
Svar #2

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-16, 13:05
    • Visa profil
Jonas is probably born in Ryd soldattorp in Åker 1833-06-25. They are married in Byarum in 1859-07-09 and get their first two Children there, Klas Gustaf and Amanda. I have not seen when they move to Jönköping. I will check the records in Byarum.

Klas

2017-06-09, 23:19
Svar #3

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Leif & Klas:

Thank you for your help.  I looked in the Byarum church records but could not find any birth record.  Is Aker in a different parish?  I have one reference on ancestry.com that shows his possible father as Johannes Danielsson, who was born in Aker.  Sometimes the family trees on ancestry.com contain errors, so I am trying to verify this as correct information.  Again, thanks so much for your help.  Carol

2017-06-09, 23:35
Svar #4

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Yes it is Jonas Johanesson born 1833-05-26 in Ryd soldattorp in Åker Parish that is the same person who later work at the Match Factory in Jönköping. In Jönköping Sofia A I/27 bild 48 sid 79 they can be found and there you can see that their daguther Amanda is born in Byarum 1862-02-14 (and emigrate to America 1884-04-24 nr 43). In Byarum they also get Klas Gustav. In the records you can see how Jonas now is noticed as born in Åker Parish 1833-06-25 (Byarum AI/19 bild 383 sid 367).

It is always wise to check up the information you get from Ancestry family tree. This time it seems to be correct though because it is Johannes Danielsson and his wife Kajsa Gustafsdotter who are the parents in Åker. He seems to be a crofter there.

Good Luck

Klas

2017-06-10, 00:01
Svar #5

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas,

Thanks, again.  I don't seem to have access to the birth record.  The Byarum Al/19 you refer to - is that a household record?  And what does the bild 383 and sid 367 mean?  The birth records are difficult to go through, but the household records are even worse.  Thank you.  Carol

2017-06-10, 00:17
Svar #6

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Yes the AI/19 is a household record. Bild means Picture and sid is  side. So it is (Picture 383 when you look online) side 367 in the household book. If you have a lot of ancestors in Sweden it is perhaps wise to get Arkiv Digital or Svar. You can sometimes find registers helping you to find the different places in the household books.

Klas

2017-06-10, 00:19
Svar #7

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas,

Thank you so much.  You have been very helpful.  Carol

2017-06-10, 00:29
Svar #8

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil

2017-06-10, 21:39
Svar #9

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas,

I am sorry to trouble you again, but I have looked through the entire Byarum A1:19 household book and do not see Johannes Danielsson.  I thought maybe the numbers were wrong so I went through all pages.  Am I looking at the correct book?   Thanks, Carol

2017-06-10, 22:04
Svar #10

Utloggad Leif Lundkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4518
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 03:37
    • Visa profil
I find it at once, it is Byarum AI:19 (1856-1860) Bild 380 / sid 367 (AID: v19530.b380.s367, NAD: SE/VALA/00050) and the place is Nybygget under Gärahof. If you are not using ArkivDigital it might be something else, but if you find Gärahof during that time span it should work.

2017-06-10, 23:45
Svar #11

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Leif,

Thank you.  I did find Jonas Jonsson (Johannison) where you said.  I am looking for his parents.  Is there a way that he is linked back to them?  I also found him at 363 with several numbers and parishes??listed.  I think this means he moved here in 1857, but I'm not sure.  Klas said he found "Johannes Danielsson and his wife Kajsa Gustafsdotter who are the parents in Åker. He seems to be a crofter there."  But I did not find them in Byarum A1:19.  Thanks for your help.  I am trying to find them as there are several trees in ancestry.com that are wrong and list the wrong wife.  Carol

2017-06-11, 00:30
Svar #12

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I guess there must be some missunderstandings here. Johannes Danielsson is not the one you can find at page 367 in Byarum AI/19, it is his son Jonas Johanneson.  You will find that Jonas is a married dr (dr is short for dräng, a kind of rural laborer or unmarried Young man) with his wife Johanna Svensdotter and their son Klas Gustaf.
Johannes Danielsson can be found in Åker Parish. In the birth record you will see that Jonas is born in Ryd soldattorp (a Soldiers Place) but in the Household book they are not to be found there. But you can also read that the Soldier, Corporal Erik Gustaf, has a daughter named Cajsa born 1807-08-21. She is married to Johannes Danielsson 1833-05-27. Perhaps she has been in Ryd in 1833 giving birth to Jonas, because she has been noticed for that year. But she is instead living at Hjortsåsen, that was a croft under the rectory. See Åker AI/7 page 145 and 237. Here is a Picture of page 145 in Åker AI/7

Klas

2017-06-11, 00:36
Svar #13

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Here is Åker AI/7 page 237. One thing that can be confusing is that Kajsa is sometimes called Gustafsdotter, as in the birth record for Jonas in 1833-06-25, and sometimes for Eriksdotter as in the Household book AI/7 page 237 and 227. Her fathers name was Erik Gustaf.

Klas

2017-06-11, 02:01
Svar #14

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas:

Again, thank you so much for all your help.  It can be very confusing trying to sort out all the records.  Sorry for the misunderstanding with the names.  I think it is very sensible that the Swedes stopped using the ways of naming children.  It makes it difficult to trace family trees.  Maybe I should try Arkiv Digital as ancestry.com is somewhat limited.  I have a lot of ancestors in Sweden as my mother was born there and my father's parents were also.  Thank you.  Carol

2017-06-11, 12:50
Svar #15

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
You are welcome!

It is quite easy for me to help you with this because I have a cd with a lot of Church records from the Jönköping County area. So I take a look there first finding the persons and then I search in the Swedish National Archive online material to find the original source and also the Household books. For example I searched Erik Gustav Håkansson and Sara Lisa Svensdotter and found out that they were married in another Parish called Tofteryd, the third of August 1806. She was a piga (female helping hand/rural laborer at a farm or unmarried woman) from Södra torp in Tofteryd and he was a volontär (volunteer to be a Soldier). She was born in Södra torp (a croft) under Frostås farm in Tofteryd April 1774 with the parents Sven Knutsson and Kajsa Nilsdotter.

As you said, it is difficult with the names when you search your ancestors in Sweden and not as in UK where a familly name can be traced back in many generations. It is important to find sources  that can confirm that your ancestors really are the ones you first Think (or someone else claim). But in Sweden we have good opportunities to find most of our lines, not only the straight father line. Fortunately we have not only the Church books but also the Households books (actually Husförhör is a Catechetical hearing), taxation rolls, estate inventories and judgment books online on ArkivDigital and/or the National Archive. The Household books can often give us the birth year and birth Place and because of so many original sources available online we can reach early 18 th Century late 17 th in most of our lines.

I can recommend you to get either ArkivDigital or Svar(Swedish National Archive). I have used them both.

Good Luck!

2017-06-11, 19:27
Svar #16

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas,

You are most kind.  I appreciate your help and don't want to make a nuisance of myself, but your last post has caused me to ask some more questions.

First, can I buy the CD that you mentioned and where do I get it?  I must have many relatives in the Jonkoping area as my father's mother (Amanda Jonsson) was born there.  My father's father was born in Hova.  They both emigrated to the US where they met and married.

My great grandfather on my father's father's side was also a soldier.  His name was Johannes Olofsson, which he changed to Johannes Hagg.  I was told that the army wanted the names to be short and simple, so that is why he changed his name.  Is that why Erik Gustav dropped the Hakansson?  I was surprised when you mentioned this name as it is another new turn that makes it difficult to trace.  But you have supplied me with some more names for my tree.

Where do you live?  My mother was born in Ljustorp in Vasternorrlands.  My husband and I visited there last year, and I met a number of my cousins.  I have done a lot of work on my mother's side, so now I am working on my father's side.

Again, thanks for your help.

Carol

2017-06-11, 20:31
Svar #17

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I guess you can buy the CD from Jönköpingsbygdens Genealogiska Förening/ the Genealogical Society of Jönköping County. I am a member myself but do not live in the City of Jönköping (I do live in Jönköping County though) so I do not participate in their meetings. My father was born in Jönköping and his mother was born in Gränna, a town North of Jönköping, so I have a lot of ancestors in Jönköping County.
Here is a link to the website in Englsih and you can see for yourself. I Think you can e-mail them and ask how to buy the CD.

http://jbgf.se/engindex.htm

When it comes to soldiers I have plenty of them myself (I actually have one on my mothers fathers side from Lyrestad Parish, not far from Hova) and they often have short names as you said. They were given their soldier names by the army/navy, sometimes to describe their character or sometimes to be similar to the name of the croft they lived in. Sometimes you can almost think it was a joke.

I had a look at the records for Sara Lisa Svensdotter. You can find her on page 167 upper left in Tofteryd CI/2 (birth record for 1744-1780). They can also be found in AI/7 page 90.

When you have so many Swedish ancestors, ArkivDIgital or Svar would probably be very useful for you, as the CD from Jönköping. I have relatives in South Dakota and Iowa but have never met them. I also Think I have a lot more relatives in North America but I have not traced them yet.

Klas

2017-06-13, 00:29
Svar #18

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas:

I remembered that I used to be able to get online and look at Jonkoping parishes.  I am attaching one that I downloaded in 2010 for my grandmother.  Would this be similar to what I would get with the CD?  I'm assuming that you can no longer get this information for free.  But it would be helpful if this information were in the same format as you can read it. 

I have found that I can find some of the church records by going to other people's family trees and looking at their church records, which I can copy to my family tree.  However some of the handwriting is very hard to decipher.

Also, are any records kept on immigrants to the United States and would they be updated even after people have left Sweden.  My great-grandfather on my mother's father's side came here in 1893.  I can find no record of his death anywhere, and I have looked every place I can think of.

Have you ever been to the United States?  Iowa and South Dakota are fine states but not as beautiful as Washington state, where we live.

Carol

2017-06-14, 00:11
Svar #19

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi!

I think you have used JBGF register that was available online some years ago. Now you have to buy it for approx. 40$ if you are not a member and 30$ if you are a member (membership costs 15$ for a year). Here is a copy of your ancestors post:

Post 35

Amanda
Född 17/2 1862 i Brandstorp, Byarum (Jönköpings län)

Far
Johannesson, Jonas
Inhyse

Mor
Svensdotter, Johanna

Övriga uppgifter
Församlingskod: VALA/00050
--------------
Källa: Födelseböckerna

As you said it can be very difficult to read old Swedish handwriting, which is necessary if you search the original sources on ArkivDigital or Svar, but a handbook can be very useful.

We have emigration registers but if the person didn't come back to Sweden I do not think you will get more information than when and where he/she Went and perhaps on what ship. I have only traced a few relatives and then I used Ellis Island, Swedish Household books and Ancestry when they had free weekends.

I must say I have never been to America, but I have a friend in Texas though.

Klas

2017-06-14, 02:12
Svar #20

Utloggad Carol Kemp

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Klas:

I tried to attach the record for my grandmother but maybe it didn't come through.  In any case, thank you again for all your help.

You have been so kind.  I am on ancestry.com, so if there is anything I can research for you please let me know.

An interesting fact is that my mother and her family did not come through Ellis Island but rather went through Canada and traveled from Michigan.  I found the passenger ship and manifest for them.  So not all emigrants came through Ellis Island.

When we were in Sweden in 2009, we went to the House of Emigrants in Vaxjo.  It was quite interesting.

Carol

2017-06-15, 00:37
Svar #21

Utloggad Klas Wallén

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Carol:

I saw the attached file and I thought I recongnized it from JBGF homepage some years ago. I just wanted you to see how the facts are presented today on the CD.

It would be kind of you if you could seek a couple of my relatives on Ancestry. I hope to be back with names, places and dates tomorrow. It is late here in Sweden now.

Klas

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna