ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Alfred Andersson b. 3 Feb. 1863 Sweden possibly Gotland  (läst 942 gånger)

2004-07-19, 03:47
läst 942 gånger

Deane Craig

Can anyone tell me why a lot of Swedes including my great grandfather Alfred Andersson as a young single man came to Kankakee, Illinois?
I'm also looking in Gotland and Sweden for his birth record or anything.  I'm going crazy with this.  I gotta find something!!!

2004-07-19, 11:28
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
There is one Frans Alfred Andersson, born 1863 Feb. 3 in Stockaryd, Jönköping county, who emigrated in 1883 March 16 from Stockaryd, and he had a ticket for New York.

Do you know when your Alfred emigrated? Why do you think he might be from Gotland?

2004-07-19, 16:51
Svar #2

Deane Craig

Alfred Andersson emigrated in 1881 per Emigration CD record.  He said he was from Gotland--no parish or town mentioned.  Assuming of course, I have the right Alfred on the CD.

Thanks.

2004-07-19, 16:59
Svar #3

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
My question would be, do you know from American sources that he did emigrate in 1881? And also, do you know from American sources that he was from Gotland. Have you located him in the 1900 US Census? Do you have his death certificate, his obituary etc? What church did he belong to,if any?

Alfred Andersson is a rather common name and there could be several emigrants during the same year with the same name.

Also the Emigranten CD is in no way complete and does not show all emigrants from Sweden, there are many missing. For instance those that emigrated through Norway.

2004-07-19, 17:53
Svar #4

Johnny Karlsson

Maybe this man.

From Swedish Census 1890.

Wisby domkyrko församling    
Johannes Petter Alfred Andersson f. 1863 Westerhejde  
Om personen Om hushållet  
Hemförsamling: Wisby domkyrko
Hemort: Qvarstående obefintlige (sedan åren 1881 - 1890)
Kontrakt: Norra Tredingens
Län: Gotland

Födelseår: 1863
Födelseort:  
Födelseförs: Westerhejde
Födelseland:  

Yrke: sjöman
Titel:  

Civilstånd: Ogift (O)
Kön: Man
Familjest:  
Famstkod: Ensamstående (E)

Hushåll nr: 2313
Familj nr: 1

Frånvaro:  
Övrigt:  
Trosbekännelse:  
Anmärkning:  
Lyte:  
Nationalitet:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SVARvolym: 000182  Kort nr: 18
Sida: 143  Rad: 21
 Personer i hushållet:
Fam nr: 1
Johannes Petter Alfred Andersson f. 1863, sjöman

Johnny

2004-07-19, 21:31
Svar #5

Anna-Carin Betzén

2004-07-20, 01:01
Svar #6

Deane Craig

Elizabeth:

No, I do not have American sources for his 1881 emigration year.

No, I do not have American sources for him coming from Gotland.

Yes, I do have him in the 1900 U.S.Census.

I believe I have his death certificate and it only says born in 'Sweden'.

No, I do not have his obituary.  I need to check that one.

His Church?  Do not know.  Both of his marriages in America were to German women.  He could have been with Swedish-American or plain Lutheran church.

One of my problems with information here in America is he died at age 40 years old.  My great grandmother then married again to an Englishman.  So, a lot about great grandfather Alfred Andersson sort of died out with the family.

Thank you for your help.  You are getting me to think better about the situation.  Thanks.

Johnny Karlsson:

Thank you for the possible, but, I'm pretty sure my emigrant was already in America by 1890.  Unless, this information could have been collected prior to 1890.  Thanks.

2004-07-31, 20:42
Svar #7

Deane Craig

Halleluiah!
I think after many years, I have finally found the right great grandfather in Sweden.  I want to particularly thank Johnny Karlsson, Elizabeth Thorsell, and Elizabeth Molin (who sent an email directly to me).  With this information I am twice checking it against what little I have here in America.  I believe, it all is enough to preliminarily say I have found him.  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU !!!

Deane in Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna