ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Blomqvist, three brothers from Söderala, Hälsingland and Emma Svard.  (läst 4011 gånger)

2001-08-08, 20:37
läst 4011 gånger

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 542
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-07-04, 18:34
    • Visa profil
Hi,
My mother had three uncles who emigrated from Söderala parish in Hälsingland, Sweden between 1892 and 1906.  
They were:  
Sven Blomqvist (I think he was also called Svante) born 11:th of Sept. 1866, emigrated 15:th of April1892 destination Marinette WI.
Jonas Blomqvist born 24:th of July 1869, emigrated 29:th of May 1896 destination Belvidere IL.  
Jon Emil Blomqvist (called just Emil in the emigration records) born 1:st of March 1876, emigrated 4:th of April 1906 destination Marinette WI.
I have an old note that says that Jon Emil died in 1912.

I think all three of them were born in Söderala parish, but I’ll check it up.

There was also a female relative called Emma, born Larsson or Jonsson and probably married to a man called Svard (or Svärd?). She was born in Söderala parish 16:th of  Dec. 1859. I don’t yet know when she emigrated.

Does anybody know something about what happened to these people? I have some photographs taken in the US but unfortunately only a couple of those are marked with names.  

Best regards
Barbro Ärnhage, Stockholm, Sweden

2002-08-06, 21:04
Svar #1

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Emmas Svards maiden name was Larsdotter.

Best regards
Barbro Ärnhage

2004-02-21, 11:30
Svar #2

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Barbro Ärnhage,

satt just med Emma Svärd - igen - och såg som hastigast att du hade Blomquists också, trots att inlägget är från 2001, har du fått svar på hur det var med de tre bröderna? Jag halkade in
på en Svante i New York idag. Återkom i så fall.

2004-02-21, 18:17
Svar #3

Utloggad Laura Bonde

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 85
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-08-09, 03:25
    • Visa profil
Hi Barbro,  

From www.ancestry.com
1920 US Census, Mellen Township, Menominee County, Michigan

Blomquist, Jonas   age 50 at last birthday born in Sweden, both parents born in Sweden
Wife Marie age 37 born in Michigan, father born in Sweden, mother born in Michigan
Daughter Marie age 17 born in Michigan
Son Helm? (writing faded)  Age 12  born in Michigan  
Daughter Ruth age 7 born in Michigan
Son Lars age 2  born in Michigan

Other information from the census:  Jonas owned his farm and it was mortgaged.  He was able to read and write in English. He immigrated to the US in 1896 and was naturalized in 1918. Jonas was a farmer by trade.  The daughter Marie did not attend school the previous year but is able to read and write.  The children Helm and Ruth both attended school in the previous year.  

1930 US Census Mellen Township, Menominee County, Michigan
Blomquist, Jonas head of household, age 60 and widowed. Age at first marriage 32. Trade: farming
Son Lars age 11 and attending school

In the Illinois Marriage Database:
http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/archives/databases.html

Blomquist, John Emil   to   Johnson, Ada Christina Julia  married on 29 May 1889 in Rock Island, Illinois.

In the 1920 Census for South Moline Township, Rock Island County, Illinois,   Ada Blomquist is 44 years old, widowed and the house keeper for William Holmquist. She immigrated in 1888 and was naturalized in 1889 (The year she married Jon Emil. Typically, women did not apply for naturalization  but were naturalized through their husbands).  

Regards,  
Laura

2004-02-22, 11:20
Svar #4

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Bo Nordenfors!
The answer I got concerning the Blomquist brothers
is the one from Laura that you can see above.  

Barbro Ärnhage

2004-02-22, 11:57
Svar #5

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Thanks a lot Laura!
At last I got a possibility to continue tracking my American relatives. (Though I have to confess I don't quite know how to do proceed.)

I have to correct myself concerning the data of Emma Svard. I see that when I posted the question long ago I mixed two Emmas, in different generations, up.
The correct info about the Emma I'm looking for is that she was called Emma Gustava Svard and she was born 7 Feb 1879 in Söderala parish. Her father was Jon Gustaf Larsson and he took the name Svard before Emma emigrated.
She emigrated in 1901 at the age of 22. She went to an uncle in Wasburn Wis.

Emma had a younger sister called Agnes Alfrida Svard born 5 Apr 1898 in Söderala.  
Agnes emigrated in 1916, age 18, and went to a brother in law: Albert ???gren in Washburn. I wonder if Albert could have been Emmas husband?

The pieces are certainly starting to fall in place.  

Regards
Barbro

2004-02-22, 17:39
Svar #6

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi again Laura,
I'm afraid the John Emil Blomquist you mentioned could not be my relative if you have copied the marriage date correctly. 'My' John Emil Blomquist was born in 1876 and emigrated in 1906.
Regards
Barbro

2004-02-22, 19:18
Svar #7

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
This beautiful young lady is Emma Svard:

I inherited some 'America photos' from mother.
Emma has written on the back of the photo (in Swedish): To the relatives at Bäckfors, Uncle, Aunt and all cousins. Best regards to you all. Emma Svard.

The uncle and aunt that Emma mentions would have been my grandparents on my mothers side.

Barbro

2004-02-22, 19:28
Svar #8

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
And, after reading your info, Laura I'm pretty sure this is Jonas Blomquist with wife? (actually I think all three women seem to be his daughters but considering his wife was 13 years younger...)
and daughters:

Someone (probably my mother) has written Farbror  (=uncle) Jonas Blomquist on the back.

2004-02-23, 01:19
Svar #9

Utloggad Laura Bonde

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Barbro,  

What lovely pictures!  I think I'd say daughters as well.   I thought perhaps it was an older daughter that had already left home at the time of the 1920 census.  However, I found the family in the 1910 census and there isn't another living daughter.  Perhaps Maria had a child after Lars that for whatever reason isn't listed in the 1930 census.  

1910 Mellen Township, Menominee County, Michigan
Blomquist, Jonas   Head   age 39, married 9 years
                  Maria   Wife   age 29, married 9 years, mother of three children, two living
                  Maria   dau.     age 7
              Helmer ?  son      age 2

I tried to insert the image of the censuses into my reply with no luck. If you can help me with that, I'll post the images.  

I did check the marriage date for Jon Emil and had written them correctly. My mistake of not reading closely enough.  

As for Emma, Albert and Agnes: do you know if they were in the town of Washburn in Bayfield County  or somewhere in the county of Washburn?

Regards,  
Laura

2004-02-23, 21:05
Svar #10

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi Laura!
No I'm not sure but the photo of Emma is marked Bailey Johnson (the photographer) Ashland and Washburn Wis. Does that give any help?  

About posting the images, Try this:
1. Save the image to a file on your hard disc.
2. Enter backslash{Your own describing text}
   You have to replace the word backslash with    
   the correct key on your keyboard. On mine  
   it's Shift+7. (I can not enter the sign
   because then I'll be prompted for a picture.
3. Click Förhandsgranska/Skicka  
4. Now you'll see a box Your Image Here in your
   message.
5. Post your message and you will be prompted for  
   your picture file. If you click the    
   button Bläddra you can search your file  
   tree.  

Puh, this got complecated
Regards
Barbro

2004-02-24, 04:32
Svar #11

Utloggad Laura Bonde

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hey!

I think I found Emma! I wasn't having any luck searching on Svard.   I tried searches in the census on Albert with keywords Bayfield and Washburn with no surname.  Then, I looked only at the hits that had  *gren since you had that as part of the last name.  I'm guessing that came from Agnes' Ellis Island manifest (I couldn't read it either!)  In the 1930 census, I found:

In Bayfield County, Washburn, District 30
Halgren, Albert age 63, head of household, born in Sweden, both parents born in Sweden.      He is a merchant with a grocery store and he emigrated in 1891.  
Emma age 50 wife born in Sweden, both parents born in Sweden She emigrated in 1901 and was 26 years old when married.

So, then I looked in the 1920 census and there was:  

Bayfield County, Washburn
Halgren, Albert age 52 born 1889 occupation: grocery store
Emma age 41 born 1898

It seems to fit with information you have:place, birth year, emigration year, part of the surname, brother-in-law Albert. I'd feel more certain if I could find Agnes with them. However, she arrived between censuses and in the four years between her arrival in 1916 and the census in 1920, she could have married or moved.  The 1910 and 1900 censuses are not indexed on-line so I'm slower paging through those.  

The town of Washburn is in Bayfield County, Wisconsin.  Ashland is in Ashland County and they are neighboring counties.  Both sit on a small peninsula that juts into Lake Superior near the Apostle Islands (good kayaking!) It's a beautiful area-wooded and hilly. They get a good amount of snow being at the base of the lake.

This is the link to the Bayfield Rootsweb site. It might have information to help you.  

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wibayfie/contents.html  

If you write the librarian with a query, she might be able to help with local resources. Some local libraries keep genealogy information.
Washburn Library
307 Washington Avenue
Washburn, WI. 54891
715-373-6172

This link had the historical societies for the area:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wibayfie/histsoc.html  

I'll have to try posting images later.  It does get complicated!

Regards,  
Laura

2004-02-24, 10:12
Svar #12

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Barbro,

From Census 1930:

Halgren,Albert, 63 years, merchant, grocery store
Emma, 50,  
both West Third Street.

Perhaps a brother of Albert:

Ole Halgren, 79 years, emigrated in 1885, born in Sweden, no family

also in Washburn.
(Year: 1930; Census Place: Washburn, Bayfield, Wisconsin; Roll: T626_2560; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 31; Image: 0505.

2004-02-24, 10:42
Svar #13

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Barbro,

Det kan ju mycket väl vara så att Hallgren eller Hellgren är det ursprungliga svenska namnet.

2004-02-24, 10:56
Svar #14

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Barbro, en chansning att detta är rätt Albert?
You are here: Search > New York Passenger Lists, 1851-1891 > Results  

New York Passenger Lists, 1851-1891 has 2 matches for:  
Albert Hellgren  

? List of Matches  ? Previous Match  

Personal Information   What to do next?  

Name:    Albert Hellgren  
Arrival Date:    09 Oct 1891  
Port of Departure:    Glasgow, Scotland and Moville, Ireland  
Destination:    Newport And News  
Place of Origin:    Sweden  
Ship Name:    State Of California  
Port of Arrival:    New York  
Line:    11  
Microfilm Roll:    577  
List Number:    1565

2004-02-24, 19:10
Svar #16

laura

Hi Barbro,  

The first image is  the 1920 Census of Mellen Township, Menominee County Michigan.

The second image is the 1930 Census of Mellen Township, Menominee County, Michigan.  

Next time, I'll see if I can't get the image AND the text posted together!

Laura

2004-02-24, 21:24
Svar #17

laura

Hi Barbro,

1920 Census Bayfield County,Washburn, Wisconsin

1930 Bayfield County, Washburn, Wisconsin

2004-02-24, 21:48
Svar #18

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Wow!
This is wonderful. Thanks Laura and Bo!!!!!!!!
It's getting late now but I'll print it all and read it before I go to sleep.

Barbro

2004-02-24, 23:09
Svar #19

Chuck Mäki

Hi Barbro,
You are fortunate to get the info given above because my search turned up nobody
I did not find your Blomqvists at these places:
#72, Zion Lutheran, Belvidere, IL    
#225, Zion Lutheran, Marinette, WI  
# S4, lst Covenant, Marinette, WI
For Emma, I also checked for Jonsson[even Johnson], Larsson, as well as Svard and because those reels were small, I did a page by page looking for people from Söderala parish.  I looked at these places for her:
 #E55, Saron Lutheran, Ashland      
   , Bethesda Swede-Finn, Ashland  
   , Birchlake Lutheran,

Chuck

2004-02-24, 23:36
Svar #20

Chuck Mäki

Hej Barbro,
I neglected to add that the Illinois marriage people, John Emil Blomquist, and another, John E. Blomquist are not the people you want.
One of these boys was born in 1851 and the other in 1861.  This is taken from the lst Lutheran Church of Moline, IL card index located at Swenson center.

Chuck

2004-02-25, 04:16
Svar #21

Utloggad Laura Bonde

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Svante Blomquist--He's not quite the right age for your Sven, Barbo...but there are mistakes and not everybody ended up at their stated destination. :-) Bo, I puzzled over your post with my swedish dictionary and thought you might also be looking for a Svante Blomquist

1920 Census Kings County, Brooklyn, Madison Street, New York  

Blomquist, Svante age 56 born in Sweden, both parents born in Sweden, emigrated in 1892, occupation carpenter

Johanna W., wife age 59, born in Sweden, both parents born in Sweden, emigrated in 1892

Sigrid, daughter age 29, emigrated in 1892
Albert S. son, age 23 born in New York, occupation carpenter

Also in the household:
Anderson, Walfrid Nephew age 19 born in Sweden, occupation stock clerk  

2004-02-25, 10:31
Svar #22

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Laura and Barbro I am only trying to help a little with priority on Emma and Albert Halgren, but unfortunately my contact in Bayfield Co. is not at home for a month. I spent only a few minutes on Blomquist. Good hunting!

2004-02-25, 21:13
Svar #23

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi again!
It's really amazing how much information you have helped me to gather in only a few days.

Im sure that the name Halgren is right because I thought before you found it that the first letter of the name (on Ellis Island record) might very well be an H - followed by two more letters before gren.  

Laura, I don't think that it's likely that the Svante you found is identical to my Sven Blomquist.  
My relative emigrated alone in 1892 while the man Svante seems to have emigrated with his wife and the daughter Sigrid.

You, Bo, mentioned the name Ole Halgren.
Doesn't that sound very Danish or Norwegian to you?  
I do remember that you wrote that he was born in Sweden, but....
I looked in the Swedish 1890 cencus and found one man named Halgren. He was born in Denmark.

Oh, this is so exciting!
Barbro

2004-02-26, 00:38
Svar #24

Utloggad Laura Bonde

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Here's the 1910 Census for Albert and Emma in Bayfield County, Washburn, on West Third Street. They have three boarders living with them:

I found two Ola Halgrens in the 1910 census-the one sited by Bo born in Sweden and another born in Norway.

:-) Laura

2004-02-26, 21:24
Svar #25

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi Laura,
I wonder if it's possible that Albert's last name was Holgren instead of Halgren?  
I'm sure you have found the right persons but at all three cencuses I think it looks more like Holgren.

So I searched the net for Albert Holgren and I found this site: http://www.rootsweb.com/~wibayfie/BCJYes/BCJYes25DE1924.html

What do you think?
Barbro

2004-02-26, 23:46
Svar #26

laura

Hi Barbro,  

I think you are right. It was in the index I searched as Halgren, but I thought it looked more like Holgren in the actual census.  

I have one ancestor whose name is (mis)spelled differently in every record in which she is found--including her headstone.  

Regards,  
Laura

2004-03-16, 20:56
Svar #27

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi again!
I have found another little piece of information.

As we already know Emma Svard emigrated in 1901 at the age of 22. She went to an uncle in Wasburn Wis.  
Now I'm pretty sure that I've found the right uncle.  
The reason I've not been able to locate him before is that he was Emmas uncle by marriage.
He was married to a sister of Emma's father.

His name was Karl/Carl Gustaf Taberman born in 1866.
His wife was Maria Larsdotter/Larsson/Taberman also born in 1866 (don't know what last name she used but her maiden name was Larsdotter).
The couple emigrated to Washburn WIS in 1893.

They moved out from Harmånger in Sweden, but the American records might state Hardanger (that's in Norway).  
Hardanger is what it says in the transcribed text on Ellis Island.
I haven't been able to find the original ship manifest, might be something wrong with the indexing.

Laura, could you please look for the Taberman couple in the cencuses?
(Taberman might also be spelled with two n:s.)

I must have a big, unknown family in the USA.
I have a strong feeling I will find more emigrants among my relatives as the work proceeds.

Regards
Barbro

2004-03-28, 12:09
Svar #28

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi,  
Just to avoid double work, I got this answer from Anna Persson in another discussion on the forum:  

1930 U.S. Federal Census  
Name: Charles Taberman  
Estimated birth year: 1866  
Birthplace: Sweden  
Relation to Head-of-house: Head  
Race: White  
Home in 1930: Washburn, Bayfield, Wisconsin  
Image Source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Washburn, Bayfield, Wisconsin; Roll: T626_2560; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 31; Image: 0501.  
Hustru: Mary, också född 1866.  

Name: Mary Taberman  
Estimated birth year: 1866  
Relation to Head-of-house: Wife  
Home in 1930: Washburn, Bayfield, Wisconsin  
Image Source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Washburn, Bayfield, Wisconsin; Roll: T626_2560; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 31; Image: 0501.  

Regards  
Barbro

2004-06-02, 03:27
Svar #29

Utloggad Laura Bonde

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Barbro,
Here's the 1910 Census for Charles and Marie:

Pine Street, Ward Four, Washburn, Bayfield County, Wisconsin
Series T624, Roll 1700, Part 1, Page 289A
Household: 84  Dwelling:84

Name: Taberman, Charles
Age in 1910: 43
Est. Birth year: 1866 in Sweden. Both parents born in Sweden
Married 19 years.
Emigrated: 1893

Name: Marie  
Age in 1910: 43
Married 19 years
Emigrated: 1893
Relationship to head of household: wife
Mother of four children, three still living

Name: Carl A.  
Age in 1910: 16  (born 5 July 1893)
Born in Wisconsin, both parents born in Sweden
Relationship to head of household: son

Name: Edith.  
Age in 1910: 13
Relationship to head of household: daughter

Name: Roy  
Age in 1910: 9
Relationship to head of household: son

I found a few other odds and ends that might help.
Carl's draft card from Ancestry:
Carl Taberman  
Age 23
109 W. 3rd Street
Ashland, Wisconsin
Birth date: 5 July 1893
Natural Born in Washburn, Wisconsin
Occ: Printer for Ashland Press in Ashland, Wisconsin
Nearest relative: wife
Physical Description: tall, slender, brown hair, brown eyes.

This looks like the right Roy in the Social Security Death Index:
Roy Taberman
SSN: 338-10-4340
Last Residence: Milwaukee, Wisconsin  
Zipcode: 53208
Born 8 Nov 1900
Died March 1978

Also found in a list of delayed birth or affidavit records (usually filed between 1940-1942 when people wanted to establish their eligibility for Social Security:
Taberman, Roy
b. 8 Oct 1900

Washburn High School
Directory of Graduates
1891 - 1956 (printed in 1956)
CLASS OF 1892  Ernest Holgren (Deceased)
CLASS OF 1918 Roy Taberman, , Milwaukee 8, Wis

2004-06-02, 21:40
Svar #30

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Laura,  
Thank you so much!
This certainly ties it all together and makes the previous information more exact.
That highscool record might be a lead to Albert Holgren and Emma Svard.

I wrote a letter to a man with the name of Taberman (living in Milwaukee) a few weeks ago.  
I got an answer telling me that he was the grandson of Roy Taberman. Isn't that fantastic. We now have mail contact. This was made possible thanks to information I've received in this discussion.  

I have now found that (at least) three of Emma Svard's sisters emigrated:
Elsa Maria Svard born 1889, emigrated in September 1910 together with Signe Bernhardina Svard born 1892.  
Elsa and Signe went to their brother in law Albert Holgren, Box 68 Washburn Wis.  
Hedvig Cecilia Svard born 1895 emigrated in October 1913 to Brawley Cal.  

Barbro

2004-06-03, 01:10
Svar #31

Utloggad Laura Bonde

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Barbro,  

That's great! It's always exciting when it starts to come together.

Regards,  
Laura

2006-07-23, 21:09
Svar #32

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi,
I have rescently found the descendants of Jonas Blomquist and I have mail contact with a second cousin.  
The man in the photo that you can see above in the discussion has been identified as Jonas.  
I want to send a warm Thank you to all who have helped me in this forum and via mail and by looking for obits and other documents in the States.

Regards
Barbro

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna