ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Patronymics- the end of patronymic naming practices  (läst 614 gånger)

2003-04-20, 20:28
läst 614 gånger

Kirsten Gwilliam

I am interested in finding distant, living relatvies of my immigrant great, grandfather. I have followed the names forward until parish records end and used the husförhörslängd which lists children born in the 1890's, but I am told the surnames were being standardized around this time.  How do I know when a new efternamn is chosen for the family or what efternamn the children use? Can you explain a little bit more about this change in Sweden?  
Thanks!

2003-11-10, 14:38
Svar #1

per bjurling

Sorry Kirsten, You don?t know.
Patronymics were standard for centuries, but many people had surnames besides. Those names could be recorded or not and they could easily be changed. It all depended on the person?s choice and the priest?s will. Many people insisted to use their surnames as inherited family names. Others seems not to have cared. In 1844 the government encouraged a general change to the more modern use of inherited family names. Many people accepted this in the middle of that century. Some people with less interest in the matter simply accepted that the priest decided to give the whole family the father?s patronymic as a family name. These are still today the most common names in Sweden.
This process has been going on for more than 200 years now although those who insist on patronymics today are very few.
One must follow one?s family in the books step by step.  
Good luck!

2003-11-11, 13:42
Svar #2

Peter Karlsson / anbytarvärd (Peter)

There's a lot of information regarding swedish naming practise here in the Swedish-Roots section of Rötter..

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna