ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2004-03-05  (läst 3075 gånger)

2004-02-25, 04:30
läst 3075 gånger

strudles

Anyone have any information on the Nelson family tree which includes Andrew Peter NELSON who changed his name to HULLQUIST when he emigrated to the US in the mid 1800s? He had a son name John Fredrick Nelson HULLQUIST (born 6 Oct. 1853 or 1854 in Cluster, Sweden)?

2004-02-25, 05:00
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Strudles,

What is your definition of the mid 1800s? Is it 1850, give or take a year or two? Is it 1840-1860? 1840-1870? or ? (I guess middle needs to start at least in 1853 if the son was born 1853-1854.)

When was this Anders Petter Nelson (Nilsson) born?  

I wonder if Cluster is Kloster.
=================================================
Socken-Sök: Sökresultat  

Du har sökt efter: ?Kloster?. Nedan visas träffarna 1-4 av totalt 4

Landskap Nuvarande
församlingsnamn Härad Nuvarande
kommun Nuvarande län SCB-kod Kyrkböckernas
förvaring  
Skåne Ystads Sankt Petri (f d Kloster) f1532 ?1885  . Ystads kn Skåne län (f d Malmöhus län) . Lunds LA  
Östergötland Vreta Kloster (f d Vreta)  Gullbergs hd Linköpings kn Östergötlands län 058019 Vadstena LA  
Skåne Sankt Peters kloster (f d Kloster)  Torna hd Lunds kn Skåne län (f d Malmöhus län) 128102 Lunds LA  
Södermanland Eskilstuna Kloster (f d Kloster)  Österrekarne hd Eskilstuna kn Södermanlands län 048402 Uppsala LA  
=================================================

If the son lived until 1900 or later, you can find a column for a year of immigration in the U.S. Federal Censuses for 1900-1910-1920-1930.

The more common the name, the more detail you need to provide.

Look at this site for ideas on what you should tell when you ask for help.

http://www.genealogi.se/roots/krav.htm

Judy

2004-02-25, 05:01
Svar #2

Anders Andersson

Those names need to be restored to their original spelling... Cluster sounds like it may refer to a place named Kloster, of which there are a few in Sweden, but only one parish (the usual level of detail when indicating someone's place of origin). The full name of that parish is Eskilstuna Kloster, as it's located in (and possibly outside) the city of Eskilstuna, in Södermanland county. The Swedish word kloster means monastery, and that usually describes the origin of any location having Kloster as its name (or part of it).

Hullquist doesn't look right either, but similar Swedish last names are Hallqvist, Hellquist and Hultquist (the -quist ending may alternately be spelled -qvist or -kvist). If the spelling in America was influenced by the Swedish pronounciation (as appears to be the case with Kloster -> Cluster), I'd say Hallqvist is the most likely origin.

As for Nelson, that is the common American transliteration of Nilsson, which is a pretty common last name with a patronymic origin.

Therefore, I think you should look for one Johan Fredrik born in Eskilstuna Kloster parish, son of Anders Petter Nilsson (possibly Hallqvist). Anders Petter, in turn, is probably the son of someone named Nils (last name unknown so far). As Nilsson didn't become an inherited family name until the late 1800's, there is hardly any real Nilsson family tree to look for in your case.

2004-02-25, 05:40
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi again, Strudles,

I assume that your ancestors emigrated too early to be on CD Emigranten (the Emigrant CD).  

This site provides many good ideas for researching our early emigrants.

http://www.horlacher.org/genarticles/scandem.htm

I think this is the microfilm you need to order from a Family History Center to confirm that Eskilstuna Kloster is the right parish for the birth of your Johan Fredrik.

Sweden, Södermanland, Eskilstuna - Church records  
Födde, Kloster och Fors 1835-1856 C:9 -  FHL INTL Film [ 155120 ]

If you find your relative's birth in the above film, then this is the listing of other records for that parish which can be ordered from a Family History Center.

http://tinyurl.com/yve59

Good luck!

Judy

2004-02-25, 05:51
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Strudles,

This site lists former parishes in Sweden and there are three listings for Kloster.

http://home.swipnet.se/chamre/parishno1.html#C

#048400 was in the kommun (municipality) of Eskilstuna in the county of Södermanland.

#128100 was in the kommun of Lund in the county of Malmöhus (now Skåne).

#128600 was in the kommun of Ystad in the county of Malmöhus (now Skåne).

I assume the name was changed for many of these since there was duplication of that name. We can't just consider current parish names since our ancestors didn't live in modern times.  

One of the rules on this board is that we have to use our first and last names. :-)

Judy

2004-02-25, 16:34
Svar #5

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

Oops, so sorry, I blush at my novice-ness. Unfortunately our family history is sketchy past Claude Hullquist (B: 7 Aug 1894, Port Angeles, Washington, US, D: Feb 1978, Yucaipa, California, US). From all I can tell, his father was John Fredrick Nelson Hullquist altho the names were most likely Americanized on the trip to the US. John was born: 6 Oct 1853 in Sweden (from what you say, possibly Kloster parish) and died in 1899 in the US. Claude's mother's name was Matilda Charlotte Erikson (B: 22 Apr 1860, Modall Sweden). I got to thinking about my middle of the 1800's comment and thought that that was probably not very likely as John was born in Sweden, but I know they came over sometime between 1853 and 1872 when his first child was born in Illinois. The 1880 census has them located in Lake, Phelps, Nebraska.  

I will do what I can to get more accurate information. Thank you for all your help so far!  

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

2004-02-28, 17:32
Svar #6

Anders Andersson

I visited the archive (I live in Uppsala) today, and tried to find your Johan Fredrik in the Eskilstuna Kloster birth records (Eskilstuna C:10). There were only a few (maybe two or three) Johan Fredrik born in 1852-1855, unfortunately none of them having either a father named Anders Peter or a birthdate of October 6.

I did a quick check of the Eskilstuna city birth records (Eskilstuna C:9) as well just in case, but no luck there either.

Thus, I'm out of suggestions for the moment. Maybe some other Kloster parish is worth investigating, but none of them seem to be found in the Uppsala archive.

2004-02-28, 17:34
Svar #7

Anders Andersson

I wonder what Modall Sweden may refer to. Motala, perhaps?

2004-02-28, 18:30
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Anders,

Maybe it is Motala.That would sound about the same.

I was also thinking that there is a Mo parish in Dalsland province, so maybe it is that Mo? (These Americanized names of locations are tough to decipher.)Maybe someone told someone else that it was the Mo in Dalsland and it became shortened to Mo, Dal.

Perhaps Trudy can check the church records for Phelps county in Nebraska to see if her ancestors joined one of these churches. She could have the Swenson Center do a search for a fee or she could travel there to search. If they joined, parish names where people were born are provided in membership records.

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/

HIST = congregational history, MINS = meeting minutes, MEMB = membership records, M/A = ministerial acts (baptisms, confirmations, marriages, funerals, etc.)

NE PHELPS BERTRAND ADULLAM LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1888 S-372  
 SEE IMMANUEL LUTH, BERTRAND NE  
NE PHELPS BERTRAND IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1883 S-373  
 FORMER WESTLANDA CH HIST MINS MEMB  
NE PHELPS FUNK FRIDHEM LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1879 S-369  
 HIST-1919;MEMB1879-1932;M/A1879-1942  
NE PHELPS HOLDREGE BETHEL LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1877 S-377 2 MEMB1877-1932;M/A1877-1931;SEE ALSO 97  
NE PHELPS HOLDREGE BETHEL LUTHERAN CHURCH L 1877 S-377 1 HIST-1927;MINS1879-1931  
NE PHELPS HOLDREGE SWEDISH METH CHURCH M 1895 SA-53  
 MEMB1895-1930  
NE PHELPS HOLDREGE TRINITY EVANG FREE CHURCH F 1889 SA-77  
 HIST-1939;MINS1888-1927;INCL MEMB  
NE PHELPS LOOMIS MOSES HILL COVENANT CHURCH C  
 S-473  
 MINS1877-1914;NO MEM REC UNTIL 1930  
NE PHELPS LOOMIS WESTMARK EVAN FREE CHURCH F 1880 SA-78  
 MINS1880-1930;INCL MEMB LISTS  
NE PHELPS PRAIRIE SWEDISH METH CHURCH M 1887 SA-54  
 MEMB1887-1919  

It was very nice of you to check the records for Trudi.

Judy

2004-02-29, 17:35
Svar #9

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

Yes, it was very nice, thank you for your trouble, Anders. Regarding Mathilda, I have some information that a very nice lady sent me via e-mail. The Mo Dal or Modall thing is the only part about it that doesn't match. Here's what I have:

Eriksson, Anders Petter, b. 1817 Jan. 26 in Vena
Svensdotter, Ingrid Stina, b. 1817 Oct. 3 in Vena
Andersdotter, Anna Greta, b. 1839 Sep. 25 in Vena
Andersdotter, Christina Lovisa, b. 1849 Sep. 26 in Vena  
Andersdotter, Carolina, b. 1852 Sep. 25 in Vena
Andersson, Carl August, b. 1855 Sep. 03 in Vena
Andersdotter, Mathilda Charlotta, b. 1860 Apr. 22 in Vena  

They all emigrated in 1869 April 4 from a farm called Klostret in Vena parish, Kalmar county.

Thanks for all your help so far,

Trudi

2004-02-29, 20:20
Svar #10

Anders Andersson

Well, that information appears to answer your questions! There is indeed a place called Kloster in Vena (earlier spelling Hvena) parish, according to the Rosenberg gazetteer:

Kloster i Kalmar län. Indr. militieboställe i Hvena sn, Aspelands hd, vid Hultsfred-Vesterviks jernväg, nära sjön Hulingen; ? mtl, tax. 40,000 kronor.

Rough translation/explanation: Kloster is a former soldier's cottage, at the railroad between Hultsfred and Västervik, near lake Hulingen; assessed value 40,000 Swedish crowns (in the currency value of 1878). Judicially, most of Vena parish belongs to Sevede härad (hundred, or judicial circuit), but the small part where Kloster is situated belongs to Aspeland härad.

Since Matilda Charlotta is one of several children appearantly born in Vena parish, I would assume she was born there too, and that you can probably disregard the Modall reference until you see it again in some source. I think Mo in Dalsland is out of the question, and even Motala is a bit too far away (on the eastern shore of lake Vättern) from Vena to be of interest here. There is a town called Målilla not too far south of Hultsfred and Vena, but Vena birth records remain your best bet anyway.

And, since John Fredrick was said to be born in Cluster, I find it likely that it's the same place Kloster where Matilda Charlotta lived. Even if Rosenberg refers to it as a former soldier's residence, the name may apply to several farms located nearby. We need a detailed map to find out exactly what goes under that name.

Therefore: Look for Johan Fredrik in Vena birth records in 1853 (or 1854)! This is a part of Sweden I'm not too familiar with, and far outside the domain of the Uppsala regional archive.

2004-02-29, 21:03
Svar #11

Anders Andersson

I should point out that my description above of the administrative geography applies to the 1880's, while the boundary of Sevede härad was later moved to include also Kloster and Hultsfred. You don't need to pay attention to such changes unless you intend to study also judicial records. Judging from the maps I have and the description in Rosenberg, I conclude that Kloster (if it still exists) is to be found in the eastern part of Hultsfred itself, or at least close to the town.

The name Hultsfred itself, in 1447 recorded as Hwlundzfaarhult, refers to the settlement of the people living near Hulingen, according to Nationalencyklopedin (NE). It wouldn't surprise me if that's what made your ancestors pick Hultqvist for their family name (if that's the name they picked, of course).

2004-03-01, 22:02
Svar #12

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

I don't know when Andrew and John would have emigrated from Sweden or even where they would have embarked from. There is one story about the history of our surname that when they were on the ship over, there were so many Nelsons (or Nilssons) on the ship, that to avoid confusing, G-G-G-Grandfather Andrew decided to change their last name. They stopped at Hull, England on their way over and he decided to add the scandinavian suffix -quist to the end. But there seems to be another story about the name changing happening at Murpha-Hult which might be Hult? Unfortunately I don't know too much about locations and couldn't find anything like Murpha-Hult on my own. They ended up in Bishop Hill, IL, but I don't think they would have been there for the first Swedish settlement. I don't know if they went straight there, or stopped along the way. I only add this because of my discovery that Bishop Hill was a distincly Swedish settlement and didn't know if it was significant to my search.

Thanks you so much, Judy and Anders, for all your great ideas and your help. You're great!

2004-03-01, 23:42
Svar #13

Anders Andersson

The number of people sharing the same patronymics (derived from a small set of common male first names) was probably the primary reason to adopt a more unique last name, especially when moving to a new place where nobody knew your father anyway (not only when emigrating abroad, but also when moving to the expanding towns in Sweden to find work). Thus your first explanation above is probably fairly correct.

While I can imagine the name Murpha-Hult being derived from some actual Swedish placename, I can't identify it (I thought it could be Mörbyhult, but such a place doesn't seem to exist). The ending -hult is however very common in southern Sweden, meaning approximately grove. The fact that it's a common name ending makes me believe it's not the origin of your family name; it would be like picking the -ton element out of Washington or Southampton and turn it into Tonson.

If your ancestors did indeed use the spelling Hullquist from the beginning, I would have to give some credit to the Swedes-passing-through-Hull theory, as the name Hullquist (or Hullqvist) is extremely rare in Sweden, almost nonexistant (there are four individuals with that name in the Swedish 1890 census, none of them in Kalmar county). I still find it more likely that it's a spelling change from Hult- or Hall- (perhaps to make the name easier to pronounce).

Since you now have a likely birth parish for Johan Fredrik, I suggest deferring the speculation on the origin of his name until someone has looked him up in the Swedish records right before his emigration.

2004-03-02, 22:39
Svar #14

Utloggad Lennart Almkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2727
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-11-12, 21:02
    • Visa profil
Hello all!

In Vena parish, many emigrants are found in the late 1860-ies. Among others from 1869 in the migration-length BI:2:

Close to the bottom, record no 16 was issued on april 2 for Anders Petter Eriksson with wife and five childern from Kloster to N. Amerika. The family is found on page 663 in the Vena household length AI:24. Unfortunately the ink bad, but the family lived in a torp called Modahl on the Kloster premises. A son emigrated already in 1867. One daugther was Matilda Charlotta, born in Hvena 22 apr, 1860.

In the migration length for 1861-65, AI:22, on page 662, the ink is better. And one more son turns up, Sven Erik, who emigrated 1864 to N. Amerika.

Best wishes
Lennart

2004-03-03, 01:19
Svar #15

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

Oh, I'm SO excited! The pieces are really coming together now. Thank you so much, Lennart, for posting those scans. This answers the Modall question and it makes sense that Anders Petter Nilsson might have known his future inlaws from Kloster. Also, what document are these scans from?  

Words cannot express my thanks,

Trudi

2004-03-03, 01:42
Svar #16

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Trudi,

Lennart already provided the sources telling which documents the records came from. A1:22 and A1:24 are the husförhörslängd, which is similar in some ways to a census but it was updated continually. Translations into English are often clerical survey or household examination record.

BI:2 is apparently the utflyttning record, which lists those moving out of the parish.  

Read about those parish records (and the other wonderful parish records) on the SweGGate site.

http://www.sweggate.com

Follow this pathway.

Themes --> Church Records

Judy

2004-03-03, 02:30
Svar #17

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

On p. 662 of the document above, can any of you help me decipher some of the handwriting? The last daughter listed, in my records Anna Greta, looks to be listed as Anna Sophia or something similar. Also, I find it interesting that she wasn't listed on p. 663. Do you think she may have died in Sweden? Or does the column Flyttad indicate that she moved to Tuna parish? I don't have Nils in my notes, is his birthdate 12 Jul 1846? Can anyone tell when Sven Erik was born? 4 Dec 1837? Was the son who emigrated from p. 663 different from Sven Erik p. 662? There's a 56 in line with Sven Erik, I thought that would have been the year he emigrated but, Lennart, you have him emigrating in 1864. Do you know what the 56 would be referring to? So many questions, I'm sorry. Answer them only if you have the time and don't mind. Thanks, Trudi

2004-03-03, 10:52
Svar #18

Hans Svedberg

Let us have a look on the map now:

There are a few places called Modal in the vicinity, but this is the one that fits in best.  

Hasse S

2004-03-03, 12:50
Svar #19

Anders Andersson

The daughter born in 1839 was appearantly named Anna Sophia, not Anna Greta. She is found also on page 663, but on a separate line, as Anna Sophia Andersd[otte]r.

The column Flyttad which is found in these images indicates when and from where the individuals moved to Kloster, not when they moved out (for which there is a separate column further right, outside the images shown here). Thus, most of the family arrived to Kloster from G... (can't read that name) in 1858, but Anna moved in from Tuna in 1860 (note that she is older than the other siblings; she has probably been working at other farms for some time).

Anna Sofia didn't emigrate with the rest of her siblings. Instead, she married and had at least four children born in Vena parish (the oldest in 1869, the youngest in 1881), according to the DISBYT database which I told you about in e-mail. I have no information on when or where she died.

I think you got the birthdates for Nils Johan and Sven Erik right, but Sven Erik isn't mentioned on page 663 at all (on page 662 he is indicated as having moved in from page 294 of the same volume in 1856). As for the son emigrating in 1867, I guess Lennart is referring to Nils Johan, whose name has been crossed out before the rest of his family.

2004-03-03, 13:41
Svar #20

Anders Andersson

The numbers don't quite add up... According to the migration note Lennart found, Anders Petter Eriksson emigrated with wife and five children. The rightmost columns tell us that there were two men and five women. I suppose the two men are Anders Petter himself and his son Carl August (with sons Nils Johan and Sven Erik having left the family earlier).

Then, exactly who are the five women? Judging from the crossing-out of the entire family in Vena AI:24 p663, they would be wife Ingrid Stina Svensdotter plus her four daughters Christina Lovisa, Carolina, Mathilda Charlotta, and Anna Sophia..? How come, if Anna Sofia remained in Sweden and had four children?  Maybe the DISBYT entry for her is entirely wrong? To those of you trying to find her, she is recorded in DISBYT with the misspelled and appearantly incorrect name Anna Sofin Svensdotter.

2004-03-03, 17:29
Svar #21

Anders Andersson

By the way, the dotted (-..-..-) boundary on Hasse's map above is appearantly the boundary between Hultsfred and Vena parishes. Back in the 1800's, Hultsfred was simply located in Vena parish, but the place was later recognized as a köping (market town) within a defined boundary and awarded certain privileges without being declared a stad (town) outright.

When these nominal distinctions were abolished in 1971, the former köping of Hultsfred was redefined as a parish within the new kommun of the same name, and the boundary remained, if I have understood these changes correctly. This is hardly something you need to care about, but it may be worth noting that appearantly Kloster and Modal have both remained in Vena parish proper during these administrative changes.

2004-03-04, 01:39
Svar #22

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hello again,

I have checked some data from the Vena church books, resulting in the following:

Here is an outline on the movements of Anders Peter Eriksson and his family with Inga Stina Svensdotter. After the marriage on May 21, 1837 in Vena, they stayed at the following places:
1. Modal under Kloster, 1837-40
2. Brånäs under Vederhult, 1840-42
3. Gnötlerum, 1842-53?
4. Sandemoen under Gnötlerum, 1853?-58
5. Modal under Kloster, 1858-69

During this period, they had the following children (checked in the birth records):
1. dec 4, 1837  Sven Erik
2. sep 25, 1839  Anna Sofia
3. oct 26, 1842  Elisabet Charlotta
4. july 12, 1846  Nils Johan
5. sep 26, 1849  Christina Lovisa
6. sep 26, 1852  Carolina Christina
7. sep 3, 1855  Carl August
8. april 22, 1860  Matilda Charlotta

In Gnötlerum the father of Inga Stina Svensdotter was living: Sven Nilsson, born march 9, 1788 in Vena. Inga Stina war born in Skinnarp (in Vena) on oct 3, 1817. Her mother was Lisa Persdotter, born on june 6, 1791 in Kristdala parish close to Vena. I have not checked the birth data of Inga Stinas parents, they are from 'husförhör'. The mother died on feb 22, 1824. Sven remarried and moved to Gnötlerum in 1827. Here is Inga Stinas birth record:

Anders Peter Eriksson war born in Sjöboda under Kloster, on jan 26, 1817, by Erik Jonsson and Anna Lena Jonsdotter. Their birth dates are sept 6, 1788 and dec 8, 1798, both in Vena parish, and not checked by me. Here is Anders Peter entry in the church book:

It's rather late in Sweden now, so I have to stop here. Best wishes.
Lennart

2004-03-04, 12:29
Svar #23

Utloggad Lars Edmark

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 267
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-11-17, 22:59
    • Visa profil
    • genedmark.se/genealogicy.html
Hello all,

This has been a very interesting discussion to follow.

About Modal, I found the this link on the Hultsfred homepage http://www.hultsfred.se/kultur/lokalhis/htorp/index1.htm

Under Modal you can read the following:
'Nr. 127 Modal Torp under Kloster
Terrängbeskrivning: Stugan liksom ladugård och uthus finns kvar och är nu sommarboställe.'

and further down

'Enligt HFL 1818 – 39
År 1850 kom troligen torparen Anders Petter Eriksson född i Vena sn den 26 januari 1817 till Modal från Gnöttlerum. Han var gift med Ingrid Stina Svensdotter född i Vena sn den 1817. De hade fem barn och familjen reste till Amerika den 2 september 1869.'

Translation/explanation

No 127 Modal settlement under Kloster.
Terrain description: The cottage as well as the barn and outhouse still remains and is now summer residens.

Next part confirms what Lennart already has shown.

Household examination record 1818 – 39

In the Year of 1850 came most likely the farmer Anders Petter Eriksson  born in Vena parish on the 26 of January 1817 to Modal from Gnöttlerum. He was married to Ingrid Stina Svensdotter born in Vena parish in 1817.They had five children and the family travelled to Amerika on the 2 of September 1869.

Lennart, a small question. Had Anders Petter siblings?
The reason I ask is that I have a Christina Catharina Eriksdotter as one of my ancestors.

I know this is a common name, but it never hurts to ask.

Best regards
Lars

2004-03-04, 14:54
Svar #24

Anders Andersson

Very interesting to see the very same family already documented on a website! According to the introduction, it's from a book Torp och backstugor i Hultsfredstrakten by author Rune Frode, who appearantly has systematically browsed the parish records for all those cottages.

According to the book/website, Anders Petter and Inga Stina emigrated with five children, which is also what the migration notice says. However, according to Lennart's investigation, the family had in total eight children. It seems to me that the three children missing from the 1869 emigration are Sven Erik and Nils Johan, who appear to have emigrated earlier, plus Elisabet Charlotta, who hasn't been mentioned before.

Elisabet Charlotta was born in 1842, but since she isn't found on Vena AI:22 p662 (1861-1865), when she would have been 19-23 years old, she may either have died as a child or moved elsewhere for work. She may have emigrated too, or she may have raised a family in Sweden; I can't tell.

Given Lennart's research and findings above, I'm becoming more convinced that the data I found in DISBYT is wrong, perhaps the result of the submitter mixing up two different individuals in his own research. I'd suggest disregarding DISBYT for the time being, and concentrating on what the parish records say.

1869, that's about the starting year for the Emigrant CD, I think. Has anybody checked whether these people are found in EMIHAMN?

2004-03-04, 16:33
Svar #25

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

I know we're sort of on the family of Anders Petter and Inga Stina, but has anyone checked to see if they could find Johan Fredrik Nilsson in the Vena parish records? Anders was nice enough to look in the Eskilstuna Kloster and Eskilstuna city birth records, but since there's a Kloster near Hultsfred and Vena... maybe someone could look there? Only if it's convenient and thanks in advance,

Trudi

2004-03-04, 21:24
Svar #26

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
A few more comments on the Anders Peter Eriksson family. Of the 8 children mentioned, Sven Erik emigrated in 1864, his certificate (attest, betyg) was issued on June 1. His brother Nils Johan moved in 1867, the date on his 'betyg' was July 4. The daugther Elisabet Charlotta died May 5, 1854. So the party emigrating in 1869, should consist of the parents and the 5 remaining children.

Lars, Anders Peter had several siblings, but I have not followed them. Have you a date of birth, I can check it out.

Regarding Johan Fredrik Nilsson, I have so far not found any traces of him in the Vena parish. That is including the Kloster farm with some 10 cottages on the Kloster land in the household records (husförhör), and in the birth-records.  

Fredrik was not a very common name in 1853. For instance, in the Kalmar region (län), were Vena is located, only 56 Fredriks born in 1853 were still living 1890 in Sweden, and only 7 named Johan Fredrik. Maybe the PLF database could be of assistance here.  

As Johan Fredrik emigrated with his parents, I wonder what is known of them. Is the wife to Andrew Peter Nelson known, other children? The 'Kloster' reference, is it possible that is a reference to Matilda Charlotta's origins, rather than to Johan Fredrik's ?

Best wishes
Lennart

2004-03-04, 23:16
Svar #27

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

I guess it would be possible for the Kloster reference to be in regard to Mathilda Charlotta, however if that's the case, I'll be a bit disappointed as then I wouldn't know where to begin looking again for John Fredrik and his fater. I don't have any info about his mother unfortunately. Oh well. At least we're getting quite far on his wife's side. I would be interested in searching the PLF database, but I don't know how to go about requesting a search. The only page in English explains the costs... but I didn't see anything about where to send the request/$. Went to this page http://www.algonet.se/~thunberg/plf/databas.htm but as I don't read any Swedish yet, I didn't get very far. Translation help would be greatly appreciated!  

I found marriage info for 2 Hullquists in Illinois (http://www2.sos.state.il.us/GenealogyMWeb/MarriageSearchServlet) and thought they might be brothers of Johan Fredrik? Anyone have any idea how I could work backwords from these names/dates to see if there's a connection? I can't imagine that there would have been too many Hullquists in the US in that time frame. Looks like they potentially might have married sisters?

HULLQUIST, ANDREW JOHN to PETERSON, CAROLINA (MRS)             03/15/1872 00B/0061 01872096 HENRY                
HULLQUIST, CARL A to PETERSEN, MATILDA                    07/12/1872 078/     00003995 COOK

2004-03-05, 03:33
Svar #28

Trudi Hullquist LaFlair

Oops, just noticed the difference in spelling of the girls' maiden names, oh well, so much for that idea. (smile)  

Trudi

2004-03-05, 04:44
Svar #29

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Trudi,

The correct spelling of names was not as important to our ancestors, even in the late 1800s, as it is to us today. Don't discount those people just because of the difference in spelling between the two.

Maybe those people were church members and if so, their parish from Sweden where they were born is written in the membership records. If you follow them back to Sweden, perhaps you can learn if your Hullquist is connected to them, or maybe your Hullquist will end up as one of the godparents of their children, or vice versa. The Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center has microfilms of many of those church records. Records are not online.

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna