NULL Skriv ut sidan - Fylleri - Translation of word

Anbytarforum

Titel: Fylleri - Translation of word
Skrivet av: Ingela Martenius skrivet 2012-10-10, 00:57
It was more a case of the Crown not being able to check the private distillation... Then when the Crown needed money distillation again became a Crown monopoly and sheriffs (länsman) became extremely busy. Though private distillation was outlawed in 1756 due to the hard times; the crops were needed for food. In the latter part of the 18th century we learned how to make brännvin from potatoes (a lady scientist discovered how), which made the potato hugely popular after having spent about a century in obscurity.
Private distiallation was finally outlawed only in 1860, so it was permitted in 1854.

I'm sure the occasional toddler drowned in low-rimmed tubs of liquid, but I hardly think it was liquor - brewing beer and distilling liquor didn't take place in the kitchen but in special brewing huts (brygghus) to which I doubt toddlers had access (not to protect the toddlers but the precious brew) - also I think the vessels were generally closed.

Fylleri does have a connotation of long-time drinking, a habit, although it can also be used if you're caught drunk & disorderly. So either a criminal offence or habitual drunkenness (they knew about alcoholism in the 1850's).

Ingela