NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: A Christmas question, my family comes from smaland and varmland

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: A Christmas question, my family comes from smaland and varmland
Skrivet av: Per Malmberg skrivet 2018-12-20, 21:48
Thanks Klas,The first part "Nu är det jul igen" sounds alot closer then what i said, but the second part is defiantly Doppa i grytan.  we even say "when is doppa grytan starting".  I have found lots of references to people dipping rye bread in the grease of the christmas ham.
my GGrandfather from smaland came over in 1865 to attend the newly formed augustana seminary and college. my GGmother from varmland cam over in 1868.
the Santa thing i realize is not old anywhere, but the Swedish Christmas eve vs everyone else Christmas day is older, correct?  and my GGrandmother talked of a mischievous elf/fairy/gnome (she called it brownie i think, i will have to find that storie she wrote) that would come and take away bad kids, but also give presents (it was kinda confusing)
i do have books and books on Swedish Christmases, but the English wiki is rally bad when it comes to Sweden, so i have to go to the Swedish wiki and have it translated back to English which isn't always the best.
outside my cousins though, i have never heard of anyone celebrating dopp i grytan in the way we do. i have sent this exact question to extended family to see where it came to be.  my grandfathers kids celebrated it in this way, and i am reaching out to his siblings grand children now.
Thanks for nowPete