NULL Skriv ut sidan - Kyrkoherde Carl Gustaf Hagberg

Anbytarforum

Titel: Kyrkoherde Carl Gustaf Hagberg
Skrivet av: Sandra Myshrall skrivet 2013-02-19, 23:25
Sorry, I do not know Swedish.  
Carl Hagberg was my grand uncle, the brother of my paternal grandmother.I have some info about Carl's years in the US. After leaving India he attended Boston University School of Theology and Harvard University. He received a Master of Arts degree from Harvard and Doctor of Sacred Theology (as it was called then) from BU. During those years (1898 to 1907) he also studied in Stockholm, London and Bombay, learned multiple languages, lectured and wrote several books on India. He was ordained a deacon of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1900 and a deacon of the Episcopal diocese of Minnesota in 1908. He was an assistant chaplain at Ellis Island, served in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Minnesota. According to one source he returned to Sweden for special church work about 1917. He returned to the US in 1922, but then went back to Sweden and married in 1924 at the age of 62.  It appears (from Ancestry.com) that he has one surviving daughter. I have several photos of him and was quite surprised to see the photo you have.  
His 4 sisters and parents followed him to the US, and they all settled in Massachusetts which is where I live.  
If you could direct me to a source for information about his years in India, I would appreciate it. I searched for the reference you listed but was unable to locate anything.
I hope this is helpful.  
Info is from census and other records, also Who's Who in the World 1912 and Stowe's Clerical Directory of the American Church.