NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 19.1.2001

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 19.1.2001
Skrivet av: Donna Corlett skrivet 2000-06-15, 15:14
Hi! I am trying to help someone in Sweden trace a person here in Canada. Their efternamn was WID. The gentleman was found listed (on the Emigranten CD I believe) as Emil Wid from Kycklinge parish, Östergötland county. I understand that his actual full name was Emil Adolf Valdemar Wid. He was also noted as 25 years of age when he deaprted (Malmö) on August 23, 1906.  He also had a brother that apparently also emigrated by the name of Frans Alfred Wid (born 1869)-also in Hycklinge.   However, Frans was not found listed on the Emigranten CD...?  It was not known if they left at the same time...although I think it not likely.  

Is this an unusual surname (efternamn) as I have not been able to find it anywhere!?! I also tried searching various sections of the 1890 census just to see how common it may be- and didn't find one match! I saw lots of variations like Widd, Widen (with the dash over the e-sorry but I don't know how to make that on the keypad!), Wide, Widman...and more-but not one Wid! Is it in fact Swedish in origin?  

I would greatly appreciate some insight here and hope someone can inform me! Any details about these two gentlemen, their family...anything!
Thanks!

Best regards,  
Donna