ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Theresa Antoinette Ericksdotter born August 1879, probably in Torp  (läst 623 gånger)

2005-02-01, 19:58
läst 623 gånger

Marj Mountainsong

Theresa Antoinette Ericksdotter
Born August 13, 1879 (or close to that date) probably in Torp
Father: Charles A. Erickson, born Nov. 27, 1841
Mother: Anna Brita Bjorkman, born Feb 13, 1857
Charles and Anna  were married July 6, 1878

Theresa was a cousin to my maternal great grandmother, Brita Kaysa Andersdotter born in Gissjo, Torp, Medelpad on July 6, 1860.  Her parents were Anders Kristmansson born March 28, 1824 in Torp and Marta Susanna Bjelkstrom born February 23, 1822 in Torp.  

I would like to learn the exact connection that establishes the cousin relationship.  I am not postive that Theresa's family was from Torp but I think it is very likely.  Can someone help me to understand exactly how Brita and Theresa are connected by looking for the names of the brothers and sisters (siblings) of Theresa and of Brita's parents?

Thank you.

2005-02-02, 15:10
Svar #1

Kerstin Åkerberg

I think Anna Brita Björkman is a cousin to Brita Karin (Kajsa) Andersdotter.
But what I have found Anna Brita is born 1856 in Gissjö.  
Anna Britas mother was a sister to Marta Susanna Bjelkström. Her name was Brita Kajsa Bjelkström  b 1828-02-09 in Gissjö, Torp.

I hope I?m not wrong.

Regards

Kerstin

2005-02-02, 21:44
Svar #2

Marj Mountainsong

Thank you Kerstin.  Yes, I believe you have found the correct person and family.  The birth date I had for Anna Brita Bjorkman was from her obituary in a small newspaper in Minnesota.  When Anna gave her age in the census data (1895 and 1900) her birthyear would have been 1856 as you found. Also, the designation of cousin was probably used loosely by another newspaper to indicate the relationship between Theresa and Brita.  I had wondered about the fact that Brita and Theresa seemed to belong to different generations.  Also, supporting your information is the mother's name, Brita Kajsa -- matching that of my great grandmother.

There is one other piece of information that I have regarding this family.  In the 1905 Minnesota Agricultural census, an Erick A. Bjorkman is listed as a brother to Anna Brita Bjorkman, age 50 and is living with Charles and Anna. If he appears in the records you check, then I think we can be quite sure you have found the correct family.

In the spring issue of Swedish-American Genealogist there will be a short article about Theresa and her family with two photos that I submitted.  Perhaps you would enjoy seeing the photo of my great-grandmother as you have worked so diligently to help me understand her Swedish connections.

Cheers,
Marj

2005-02-02, 21:44
Svar #3

Marj Mountainsong

Thank you Kerstin.  Yes, I believe you have found the correct person and family.  The birth date I had for Anna Brita Bjorkman was from her obituary in a small newspaper in Minnesota.  When Anna gave her age in the census data (1895 and 1900) her birthyear would have been 1856 as you found. Also, the designation of cousin was probably used loosely by another newspaper to indicate the relationship between Theresa and Brita.  I had wondered about the fact that Brita and Theresa seemed to belong to different generations.  Also, supporting your information is the mother's name, Brita Kajsa -- matching that of my great grandmother.

There is one other piece of information that I have regarding this family.  In the 1905 Minnesota Agricultural census, an Erick A. Bjorkman is listed as a brother to Anna Brita Bjorkman, age 50 and is living with Charles and Anna. If he appears in the records you check, then I think we can be quite sure you have found the correct family.

In the spring issue of Swedish-American Genealogist there will be a short article about Theresa and her family with two photos that I submitted.  Perhaps you would enjoy seeing the photo of my great-grandmother as you have worked so diligently to help me understand her Swedish connections.

Cheers,
Marj

2005-02-03, 07:22
Svar #4

Kerstin Åkerberg

Hello again Marj!

Yes, I have Erik Andreas Björkman b 1854-11-11 in Gissjö as a brother to Anna Brita.
It should be nice if you tell me more about this people. What?s happened to them when they arriwed to US. I also would like to see the photo you have.

I have more ancestors to Erik A and Anna Britta if you are interested.

Regards

Kerstin

2005-02-06, 21:12
Svar #5

Marjorie Mountainsong

Hello Kerstin,

I am happy to tell you about these families that you been helping me learn more about.  Nels (Nils?) and Brita came to America in 1882 landing in New York.  It appears from the records that they traveled quickly to Minnesota because the two of them were married in Rush City, Minnesota in December 16 of 1892.  One of the witnesses to that marriage was “John Sjoling” (on the certificate it looks like two dots over the “o” in the last name).  I think this was Brita’s brother who later wrote his name “Shulene”.  On 8 Sept. 1893, my grandmother, Severa was born in Pine City, Minnesota.  (Both of these places are very small rural towns and are within a few miles of each other.)  I was told that she was named for the ship that brought them to America but so far I have not been able to find any record of a ship with this name.  The family moved north to Duluth, Minnesota where Andrew Swordling (another of Brita’s brothers) was living.  Three children were born to them (Aid Alvin 1885; Jonas Gilbert, 1886; Anseln Yrenus, 1888) and all died within their first year of life.  On 9 May, 1890 Emelia Cathrina, a daughter, was born in Duluth.  She later married but had no children.  I knew her as a sweet woman who was always delighted to see me.

Sometime in 1892, the family moved from Duluth southwest to Lawrence (now called Wahkon), Minnesota.  Also on August 27, 1892, in Duluth, Minnesota,  Nils J. Johnson became a citizen of the United States of America.  The two character witnesses were Harry R. Armstrong and A. Swordling.  My mother told me that the family of Nels and Brita was the first family of European descent to live in that area of Minnesota.  Their home was within a short distance of a huge lake (Mille Lacs Lake) and the countryside at the time they arrived was covered with large white pine.  I think it must have reminded them of Sweden in many ways.  The greatest number of inhabitants there were Chippewa, a group of Native American people.  Next in number were the loggers in the logging camps who were busy stripping the countryside of the fine timber and shipping it down the Rum River.  There were no roads, schools or churches at that time and my grandmother was sent to school in Duluth until a school was built.  A handful of settlers (mostly Norwegian and Swedish) were scattered around the lake.

The family had four more children, Hazel Christen born 5 April 1895, Nile Etle born 17 January 1898, Stanley Anton born 28 October 1900 and Melba Onolee born 2 May 1904.  All four of these children survived to adulthood but Melba died as a young woman and did not marry.  

My mother, who was born April 12, 1906 told me that she often visited her grandmother, Brita, and while they were drying the dishes after dinner they would sing and sometimes her grandmother told her stories about the old country.  From these stories, my mother learned that her grandmother had been “a cowgirl” which she said meant “a dairymaid” and that at her job she often slept in the hay in the barn.  I was also told that she was employed at the large farm of her future husband’s family but so far no one has been able to find any record of Nels (Nils) Jonas Johnson in the Torp records.  He was born April 18, 1858 and someday I hope to discover his family ties.  I also was told that his family was well-to-do and that when his father died, he returned to Sweden to receive his inheritance.  Some or all of this gold was made into gold jewelry that was given to my grandmother – two small pins, later turned into earrings that I now have.  And, my grandmother related the story of  traveling on the ship to America.  A journey my mother referred to as “terrible” based on what she had heard from her grandmother.

My great grandfather, Nels, was a skilled carpenter and I have a small drop-leaf table that he made as a wedding present for Brita.  It is beautiful craftsmanship, of oak and a simple design with obvious Scandinavian lines.  My aunt has a utilitarian chest that he made.  She was told that the chest contained his tools when they sailed to America and that the only other things they brought were the clothes on their backs.  In America, Brita continued to do what she did best – she made butter -- and my mother told me that everyone was always eager to buy her butter because it was “so clean”.  In Lawrence, they first lived in a simple log home.  Later, a family-sized two-story home was built.

Nels died 19 June, 1933.  Brita died 21 March 1932.

Later I will write more about Theresa Erickson, Andrew Swordling and John Shulene if all of this continues to be of interest to you.  

I would be delighted to learn more about Anna Brita Bjorkman and Marta Susanna Bjelkstrom and their siblings and parents.

Cheers,
Marj

2005-02-07, 18:27
Svar #6

Marj Mountainsong

Correction to the above story:  In the 4th paragraph, I should have written great grandmother where it says the gold jewelry was given to my grandmother and in the next sentence regarding traveling on the ship, that also should say great grandmother.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna