ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Henriksson, Torbal, Lur  (läst 1016 gånger)

2002-03-08, 07:36
läst 1016 gånger

Charles Henrickson

7 March 2002

This Sunday will mark the 100th anniversary of my grandfather's emigration from Sweden.  Karl Henriksson, age 18, accompanied by his brother Johan, age 24, left Göteborg (Gothenburg) on March 10, 1902.  (Their brother Adolph had emigrated in 1900.)  Their first stop was England, where they then sailed from Liverpool, leaving on the Campania (of the Cunard Line) on March 15.  They arrived at Ellis Island in New York on March 22.  One record says that their destination was Madison, Wisconsin; another lists Chicago.

Here is the link at ellisislandrecords.org to view the passenger record:

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/passRecord.asp?MID=14886580210023947648&FNM=KARL&LNM=HENRICKSON&PLNM=HENRICKSON&RF=4&pID=102738090197

Here is the link to view an enlargement of the original ship manifest (see line 12, Henrickson, Karl):

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/cgi-bin/tif2gif.exe?T=k:`t715-0261`t715-02610370.tif&S=.5

Karl Viktor Henriksson was born on June 4, 1883, in the town of Torbal, in Lur parish, northern Bohuslän (just south of the Norwegian border).  On the ship manifest of the Campania, he is listed as Karl Henrickson.  The spelling of his name later was changed to Charles Henrickson (and Viktor somehow became Wiktor).

Charles W. Henrickson settled in Chicago and became a member of Trinity Lutheran Church of the Augustana Synod.  He was a house painter by trade and the landlord of several buildings.  He and his wife Alma had one son, Leroy Walfrid Henrickson, my father.  Leroy died when I was one year old.  We lived next door to my grandparents, and so Grandpa Henrickson became the man who had the most influence on my life.  He was a faithful Christian, active in his church, and a good role model.  He died at the age of 89 in November, 1972, when I was 19.

Johan Henriksson moved back to Sweden, to Torbal, where at least two of his grandchildren, Hans Henriksson and Kurt Henriksson, still live.  Adolph Henrickson became a pastor in the Augustana Synod.  (In fact, he was the pastor who baptized me.)  The other siblings, Josefina, Mathilda, and Halvord, all stayed in Sweden.

Much of this information I discovered in the last few days by doing some searching on the Internet.  The actual date of emigration I found out just last night.  I'm glad to have learned it in time for the centennial this Sunday, and this is a nice way for me to celebrate my 49th birthday today.

Charles Henrickson
henricksonc@earthlink.net
Affton, Missouri
U.S.A.

2006-07-17, 17:01
Svar #1

Utloggad Viktor Hansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 224
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-09-18, 08:13
    • Visa profil
Har vidarebefordrat detta, lite sent,men dock  !

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna