ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 29 april, 2005  (läst 2323 gånger)

2005-04-19, 21:08
läst 2323 gånger

jan eliason

Hello, I am looking for birth information on John Hage of Varmland, born Dec. 20, 1865.  Place of birth, proper name (Johan?) Hagg? Hage?
We only know that he left Varmland Sweden in the late 1880's, and his above birthdate.  He settled in Two Harbors, Minnesota, and married Augusta Petrine Pedersen (Norway) in 1900 in Minnesota. Moved to Canada in 1917. Is it possible to find out for our family tree, the correct spelling, and place of birth from this information?  I appreciate any information, that you may be able to provide.  Thank you...jan eliason, Outlook, Sask. Canada

2005-04-19, 22:33
Svar #1

Utloggad Ted Rosvall

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1256
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-09, 07:49
    • Visa profil
Johannes Olsson Hage, born 1865 Dec.20. in Ny parish (Värmland) - emigrated from Hungalsvik, Hagen in Ny parish 1884 Jan.21. to the US. He was 18 years old, a farm hand and unmarried.
Source: EMIBAS - a database of around 1 million Swedish emigrants.
Best wishes
Ted Rosvall

2005-04-20, 00:03
Svar #2

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Jan!

Here the household record for John/Johannes family
GID 515.4.18800 1873-1880
Father Olof Jansson from Elgå parish
Mother Anna Ersdotter from Ny parish  

And a little extra:

Anna born i W. Brevik
Father Erik Olofsson *1800 Jan 19th
Mother Britta Nilsdotter * 1803 April 21

Olof born out of wedlock
Father given as Johannes Olsson
Mother Cajsa Persdotter

No birth data for these ...

Regards

2005-04-20, 00:31
Svar #3

jan eliason

Thank you so very much.  You were very quick in helping me.  My thanks to Ted Rosvall and
Ole Andersson.  We are celebrating our 100th year of homesteading in Canada and I have been working on our family tree to commemmorate the event. Johannes Hage's eldest daughter Anna Elise Hage (Two Harbors, Minn.),  married Emil Johan Eliason (Cottonwood, Minn.) in 1921 in Canada.  Emil started homesteading in Canada in 1905.  
 You have made my day, a very happy one! Thank you.  

2005-04-20, 19:18
Svar #4

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Jan!

Always nice to help out! I know one family member moved to Canada late 1800 or early 1900. But when my Grandmother died the connection was broken. But hopefully when I get more experienced I may find out who it was and track him up.

Unfortunately both Johannes' parents were born out of wedlock e.g. not married even if the father's name is known. It makes it difficult to track since they did not form a family.

For Britta Nilsdotter - Anna's mother - I found out that she later married a widower around 1833 and there is a note for Anna saying she was a foster child at the age of 6 years.

Britta Nilsdotter died July 27 1834 from Frossan (Fever - form of Malaria).
Britta was born in Fiskevik Ny parish.
Father Soldier Nils Andersson Olfeldt *17?0 Ny
Mother Maria Persdotter *1765 Köla

So one root reached the magic 1800th century...

Check the map of Wermland  
http://www.foark.umu.se/folk/s/Karta.htm
I am in No 25...

Happy celebration
Olle in Karlstad

2005-04-20, 20:07
Svar #5

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Hi Jan,

Here is a bit more speculative information for you.

Hage sounds to me like it could be a soldier name. Turns out there is a soldiers' rote associated with the farm/village named Haga in Eda parish, less than 10 km (6 miles) north of Hungalsvik. It's possible Johannes or his father did a turn of service as a soldier for this farm and Hage was the name given to soldiers serving there.

Also, regarding soldier Nils Andersson Olfeldt, there is a soldier rote at Oleby, Ny parish. Could be worthwhile to investigate whether 'Olfeldt' is the soldier name associated with soldiers living at Oleby.

Thanks to Hans Högman for laboriously transcribing and publishing the soldier rote farm names for this part of Värmland on his website. Here is the web link:
http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regementen_s_rotenr_6.htm

Jeff

2005-04-20, 21:54
Svar #6

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Jeff & Jan!

Well as you can see from the record extract above there is a remark after Johannes older brother Nils kallar sig Hage = Calls himself Hage. The farm's name as you can see is Hagen = Enclosed pasture-land. However there is a remark that Nils had several soldiers meetings. In April 1881 Nils emigrates to Nord Amerika, a couple of years ahead of his younger brother.

I probably shouldn't but I couldn't resist sending a flower greeting from the old country. Pictures taken last saturday here in Värmland of some popular wild spring-flowers. I hope I found the correct english names!

Olle

2005-04-20, 21:57
Svar #7

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil

2005-04-21, 06:20
Svar #8

Utloggad Eva Barchas

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 106
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Thanks Olle, for posting the nice pictures of Blåsippor and Tussilago.  It warms the heart of an old Värmlänning in the US.

My grandfather took the name Hage while in Chicago in the late 1800's before he returned back home to Frykerud/S.  The name Hage had apparently been in the family for generations (in Frykerud/S, Brunskog/S, Boda/S) but not used. The patrinymikon system was favored.  Nothing points to it beeing a soldier name in our family.  In the 1920's or so, a second A was added making it Haage, apparently considered much classier.  
Mvh
Eva

2005-04-21, 08:55
Svar #9

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Eva!

How nice to hear someone likes to see some classic swedish wild flowers! I dont know if these species are found in the US!?

I am doing a lot of scanning of old photos (incl. glass plates) for Nyeds Hembygdsförening and hope to put them on Internet so all who left the area may reflect back in time.  
Some are preliminary put on a server here:
http://www.radiocom.se/pics.

The problem as usual beeing that few old photos are marked with name, place and date. Last tuesday we had a picture with coffee-meeting with some 25 older people attending where we showed scanned old pictures on a big screen and collected information.

But this is a theme for other fora, so this is my last entry here in this matter!

Hälsningar från Karlstad

Olof Olle Andersson
- there are hundreds of us in the church-books!

2005-04-22, 02:05
Svar #10

jan eliason

Olle, Jeff, Eva:  It is interesting that Hage may also refer back to soldiering.  That's new to me.  Thank you for the input.  I also appreciated the links. Actually when I started looking for John Hage, it was suggested by family members that I should also be looking for Olsens. There are many families in the area with the name of Hagen, Haug, Haugh, Haugen. Our family line is the only one spelt Hage. I will include your notes in the family record.  
PS:  I thoroughly enjoyed the flowers.  We are just starting to get warm weather here, our trees are only starting to break bud in central Saskatchewan, Canada.  We will have to worry about frosts until mid May still, so I enjoyed the colour of the wild flowers.  Thank you again...jan eliason

2005-04-22, 16:35
Svar #11

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Hi Jan,

I think if you read Olle's post from 20 April you will see he explains that my ideas about the soldier origins of 'Hage' are wrong and I agree with him. I saw the notation 'Hagen' next to Olof Jansson's name and thought it might be a soldier name. Instead, it appears to be the name of the farm where they lived. Even today there is a farm near Hungalsvik called Dalhagen that could be the same place. John Hage apparently followed the example of his older brother, Nils, and adopted the Hage surname from place they lived.

However, you likely still have the soldier Nils Andersson Olfeldt in your ancestry.

Jeff

2005-04-23, 07:40
Svar #12

jan eliason

Jeff:  Thank you for the correction.  
I have included it in my notes.
Take care...jan

2005-04-23, 07:44
Svar #13

jan eliason

I was wondering if there is a listing showing when and if Anders Olsson (Hage) left Sweden.  I have been told that John Hage joined his nephews in Canada a Christ and a Peter Olson.  As I have traced Nils Hage to Lake Park, Minnesota for two census as a Hage.  I am beginning to think that Anders might have left Sweden and kept the name Olsson.  Christ was born in the USA.  Would it be possible to check and see if Anders also emmigrated and when?  Thank you for your assistance...jan

2005-04-25, 16:56
Svar #14

jan eliason

Research friends:  Is it possible that there is more than one Johannes Hage born the same date in Varmland?
Family members say that a Carl Olson had two sons, Christ and Peter (Carl may have other children as well) who moved from Wisconsin to Canada and bought land for their Uncle John O. Hage.  I have been unable to match up these children to Nils O. Hage of Minnesota.  Nils has a 7 yr old son named Carl in 1910 in Minnesota, but not a son named Peter.  I am wondering if there is a second family, or an older brother who is not listed on the above census? I have looked through US census, but without a corresponding birth year, I really am not able to verify anything.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you...jan eliason

2005-04-26, 18:57
Svar #15

Chuck Maki

found at Emmanuel Lutheran church in Two Harbors, MN within the films held by the Swenson Swedish Immigration Center here in Rock Island:

I was looking for John Hage and did not find him a member.  Then I went to the marriage lists to see if he married at that church and I did not find him but I did find another Hage and maybe this is your Nils?

E147-1 (Swenson code for Emmanuel Lutheran)
marriages list page 79
married September 14, 1899
Nels Olsson Hage, age 47
and
Sophia Amalia Frisell, age 26
by Reverend A.F. Wicklund

They were not members so I did not check baptismal records and reading your posting above, this might not be your man.  Give me an email if I should check further.

Chuck

2005-04-26, 19:00
Svar #16

Chuck Maki

Swenson also has films for two lutheran churches in Lake Park, MN.
Chuck

2005-04-26, 23:11
Svar #17

Jan Ek (Janek)

Jan,

Don't forget the possibilities in checking up on the connected birth and death certificates for the above Hage-Frisell family. They might clearify matters, as would obituaries if they could be located as they often list the broader family.

HAGE, NELS O
Date of Birth:  not indexed
Place of Birth:  not indexed
Mother Maiden Name:  not indexed
certid# 1944-MN-025848
Date of Death:  10/03/1944
County of Death: RAMSEY

HAGE, SOPHIA AMALIA
Date of Birth:  not indexed
Place of Birth:  not indexed
Mother Maiden Name:  not indexed
certid# 1938-MN-007210
Date of Death:  12/19/1938
County of Death: LAKE

Son Carl's birth cert:

Hage, Carl Algot
Date of Birth: 01/08/1903
County of Birth: Lake
certid# 1903-12318
Mother Maiden Name: Frisell

... and death cert:

HAGE, CARL A.
Date of Birth:  01/08/1903
Place of Birth:  MINNESOTA
Mother Maiden Name:  FRISELL  
certid# 1972-MN-029597
Date of Death:  11/26/1972

This could be sister Nancy (initial off):

BLADIN, NANCY H.
Date of Birth:  03/14/1910
Place of Birth:  MINNESOTA
Mother Maiden Name:  FRISELL  
certid# 1980-MN-012298
Date of Death:  05/11/1980

Source: MHS birth- and death indexes.

2005-04-27, 09:03
Svar #18

jan eliason

Chuck and Janek:  Thank you for finding the birth and death records and marriage records for Nils/Nels and Amalia. In the 1900 and 1910 census, the month and year matches Nil's birth info.   I have only been working in Ancestery.com. for the census, and IGI (Mormons) for birth and death records.  Thank you for MHS birth and death index source.  I already have John and Augusta Hage's death records.  They died in Washington.  John and Augusta (Pedersen)married in 1900 (no other info).  Their first home was in Two Harbors, John was an engineer on the Duluth and Iron Range Railroad.  The family were strong Lutherans, so I am assuming they were married in a Lutheran church. I believe they are shown as living in Lake Park on one census, so they could have been married in that area.  

I have been working with Olle Andersson off this list.  And he found Carl born April 30, 1846 as the first son of the above family, a sister Maria born July 30, 1848, and then Nils on a Household record GID 515.22.60700.: So Carl is part of this family.  With the age difference between him and John, that would also explain why Carl's sons were so close in age to their Uncle John.  Carl settled in Wisconsin, so I will go there to find death records.  I understood that he married an Estelle ?? in Sweden. And will leave it at that.  Thank you everyone for your assistance, I can go ahead and enter the family now in my records.
...jan eliason
Saskatchewan, Canada

2005-04-27, 09:05
Svar #19

jan eliason

Thank you to Olle Andersson for helping me find the house hold records and birth records for Carl Olsson.  Carl went by Olsson, and his grand children in Canada go by Olson not Hage.  
I appreciate all his work in finding the missing link to this family.

...jan eliason

2005-04-27, 17:47
Svar #20

Chuck Maki

Hi Jan,
I went back to Swenson, into both Lake Park, MN churches but all I seemed to find is confusion for myself.  I am attaching a fotocopy of what I found for Nils O. Hage and his wife Sofia Amalia Hage.
They are not members so the image is from a page of a book listing baptisms at Eksjö Lutheran Church.

Chuck

`image

2005-04-27, 17:50
Svar #21

Chuck Maki

Hmm, we'll try that image thing once more.

2005-04-27, 22:22
Svar #22

Chuck Maki

I returned to Swenson and found that I'd overlooked one membership index for Two Harbors.  That yielded Nels and his family with 4 children.  I wanted to put the scan online but the image is too weak.

As to John and Augusta Hage, I found them listed as sponsors to the baptism of Carl Algot.  I did a page by page search because I discovered Nels unlisted in the first index.  Still no John and Augusta.  I checked baptismals thru the end of 1908 and no children baptised for John and Augusta.  I found all of the Nels and Amalia children.  Two of their children died within months of birth.
I also learned that Amalia came to Two Harbors from Tower MN in 1895 and from Sweden in 1895.
The family left for Lake Park in 1910.
Please check your email about this.
Chuck

Chuck

2005-04-28, 00:29
Svar #23

jan eliason

Chuck:  Thank you for this posting and for the offlist mail. I found in a 1910 Minn. census that at the time only 3 of 9 children survived.  So, Amalia had had great loss in that time. On the above if I have transcribed properly  Bernhard b. 6 Dec. 1914 and Bernice b 6 Dec. 19l4 .  Bernhard died 27 Nov. 1915 and Bernice died 17 Nov. 1915 of a Lahart (does that mean fever??)Vittman (possibly witness??)I noticed that in the 1900 census it is registered to Nils O. and Amalia Hage and in 1910 Nils and Sophia Hage.  

If I understand you correctly and from what I have seen on the Swenson resource, they only include the Swedish churches.  It is highly possibly that John and Augusta are attending Lutheran churches that are led in Norwegian. As Augusta was living in Two Harbors area with her mother Elise Pedersen (Norway) and brothers since 1896. If this is the case, is there a Resource list for the Lutheran (Norwegian) churches?  I hadn't realized that there might be a segregation of churches, but then the early settlers who established the churches might have been predominately Swedish or Norwegian, and would have wanted to hear services in their own language.  It is very appropriate.  However, in Canada, where it was more of a melting pot, churches were built where they were needed, and the local settlers just went. We have two rural Lutheran churches in our area (8 miles north, and 8-10 miles east), but the documents are mostly in English from what I understand from an Elder.  I appreciate the documents you sent.  I find it quite interesting to put names to family members even though they haven't survived.  It makes them more real.  
Thank you again for your help Chuck, as I go through my files I may find that I will need you to check further the Swenson resources and I appreciate your offer to do so...jan eliason

2005-04-28, 03:05
Svar #24

Chuck Maki

Hi Jan,
Swenson has microfilms that seem to come from those synods which formed up to eventually become the ELCA .  A Swedish-Finnish vicar and I put together a dbase of Finnish born people who were listed in churches in the counties of the upper peninsula of Michigan. I was quite surprised to find two lutheran churches which were of Finnish speaking Finns.  I have seen a variety of nationalities including Finns, Danes, and Norwegians in the Swedish language churches.  Swenson has no Norwegian films but I suspect you might be able to google and find the repository.  Finnish church records are mostly at the Finnish center at Finlandia U in Hancock, Michigan.  You can check that listing of Sask. church films that Swenson has and perhaps one or two of them might be worth looking at.
Chuck

2005-04-28, 03:36
Svar #25

Chuck Maki

As to the translation, The fotocopy is of a baptismal or christening book entry, two in this instance.  Most of the time the entries are of multiple baptisms per page so this is somewhat different.

On page 102 we see that Nils O. Hage and his wife Sofia Amalia Hage had a son, Alvin Bernhard, born (född) in Lake Park, Becker Co, Minn on 6 December 1915, baptized (döpt)on 27 November 1915...
The same holds true for dotter Alvina Bernice.
The next bit I am only guessing at but I think the twins were baptized at a home in Cormorant (my map shows such a town south of Lake Park)of N. Lehart (an individual).
So döpt means baptized, not died.  Died is död so both of these children survived.  So you have some new information to add to Nils/Nels family.
Witnesses for Alvin were Andrew and Sofia Haglund while for Alvina the witnesses were Lars and Anna Palin.  btw, the child of Lars and Anna is listed on page 104 with Nils and Sofia being witnesses

I have seen baptisms delayed several years and others taken care of the day following birth, which is rather astonishing
I look forward to your email.
Chuck

2005-04-28, 04:00
Svar #26

Chuck Maki

TWO HARBORS, MINNESOTA. BETHLEHEM LUTHERAN CHURCH. Fiftieth Anniversary, 1889-1939; October 8 to 15, 1939, Two Harbors, Minnesota. N.p., 1939. 31 p.  I don't suggest buying this booklet - it would likely not be useful for finding John Hage but it suggests that the Norwegians did have a church in Two Harbors.

I found the above at a Norwegian page which you may wish to view:
http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/publications/volume12/vol12_10.htm

http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/genealogy.htm
This is a website which might lead you to checking on that church record.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cgaunt/minn.html
This is an older website of gen links for Minnesota.

http://www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org/genealogy/
A great website for the Minnesota iron range.

Chuck

2005-04-28, 06:50
Svar #27

jan eliason

Hello Chuck:  Thank you for breaking down the church registry. I really appreciate the translation, as I sure had it wrong.  

I will check on the sites you sent.  

Actually, we have a large Finnish community here, they say they are a branch of the Lutheran church,  they call themselves Laestadians.  Our area also has a large Norwegian base, some Swedish, a large number of Slavic people and others from the British Isles.  This is a melting pot.  

Good night...jan eliason

2005-04-29, 01:02
Svar #28

Chuck Maki

Laestadian stories can be found at this website:
http://www.genealogia.fi/indexe.htm

These churches are still thriving today and, as you said, are a form of lutheranism.
http://www.laestadianlutheran.org/

Chuck

2005-04-29, 22:51
Svar #29

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
The translation Chuck was a bit uncertain of (you are quite correct!):
döpt i föräldrahemmet means literally baptized in parents' home.  
Usually the word föräldrahemmet is only used to distinguish it from any other place that might have the right to be called home, e g the home you yourself create when you marry, so in this case it seems a bit overdone.
Lahart refers to the clergyman performing the baptism: off Lahart means that Lahart was officiating (officiant Lahart).

In the old days, before let's say 1870, Swedes were very superstitious and a child would not be unbaptized for many hours. They were baptized as soon as was humanly possible, preferably the very day they were born, the next day or at worst two days later. The mother was never present as she was unclean and had to stay indoors (preferably in a separate room) for about four weeks, and then she was churched and was a member of the Christian congregation again (you can see this sometimes in the birth records, modern kyrktagen and a date). The period between giving birth and being churched should properly have been 40 days, but most often it was only about four weeks (the next Sunday after four weeks had passed).
Chuck, as you very correctly point out, you will sometimes find that children are not baptized for a very long time, months, maybe a year (as in this case). This is both true and not true. Such children were nearly invariably baptized immediately by a lay person (anyone confirmed in the Lutheran Church can perform so-called emergency baptisms - nöddop) and later by the vicar. I have even seen notations of this; it appears as if the child was baptized twice - and it was - first the nöddop at home, later the official one by the vicar. This is quite common in remote areas, especially in seasons when the weather is apt to be bad of course.

What could happen to unbaptized children (according to our superstitious forebears)? Well, they could be carried off by trolls, who longed for human children and would exchange their own ugly off-spring for a beautiful, unbaptized = unprotected, human baby. And of course, should the baby die it would not go to heaven were it unbaptized. There is actually no end to the disasters that could befall an unbaptized child!

Ingela

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna