ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Marianna, Pommerns hertiginna  (läst 549 gånger)

2007-01-13, 17:46
läst 549 gånger

M.Sjöström

a Lady Marianna is recorded as the first wife of Barnim I, Duke of Pomerania in Wolgast; and mother of Anastasia of Pomerania who married a Mecklenburg prince.

Marianna's own Coat-of-Arms seem to have depicted a lion.

She presumably was the young lady who was niece of king Valdemar II of Denmark and in fourth degree of consanguinity kin to Barnim I, thus in 1238 needing papal dispensation for marriage.

Her daughter Anastasia, whose no attested half-sister married any Duke of Saxony, is mentioned as Sister of Duchess of Saxony, which presumably -knowing medieval habits of labeling certain genealogical relationships- means her female first cousin and possibly foster-sister.

A later source, Chronicle of Pomerania, mentions Marianna as daughter of a Saxon duke. This is indicative, but may be unreliable.
Nowhere is she mentioned with any explicit connection with Sweden.

All the above criteria are fulfilled if she was a sister of Otto of Brunswick, Duke of Luneburg (as suggested by A.Hofmeister 1937):

* the Arms of princes of Luneburg depicted a blue lion (and they descended from Henry the Lion)

* Otto's mother (the wife of William of Saxony, Lord of Luneburg, himself a son of Henry the Lion, Duke of Saxony and Bavaria) was Helena Valdemarsdatter of Denmark, a sister of Valdemar II, who was reigning in 1238

* Barnim I was, through his grandmother, great-grandson of Mieszko III of Poland and thus in fourth generation a descendant of Boleslas III of Poland, through whose daughter Rikissa of Poland, queen of Sweden, any daughter of Helena Valdemarsdatter would also be a fourth-generation descendant.

* Otto's daughter Helene of Brunswick-Luneburg was Duchess Consort of Saxony as wife of Duke Albert, and she would have been Anastasia's first cousin if Marianna was Otto's sister (besides, Marianna died early, medieval custom was to have adolescent children raised by allies and/or relatives, and though it is nowhere attested, the motherless Marianna may well have been fostered with her maternal relatives, and grown up as foster-sister of Helene of Brunswick)

* Princes of Brunswick-Luneburg regarded themselves as rightful dukes of Saxony, Angria and Westphalia, and used such longer titularies accordingly. William's era actually had apparently not yet even seen any use of the later title Duke of Brunswick or like.

(Were Marianna not a Luneburg, there anyway existed several sisters or nieces/nephews of Valdemar II to whose children the above criteria may fit better than with a connection to Sweden.)

Name Marianna/ Marina could have been a Danish heirloom, rare but next after Marianna given to a daughter of Sofia of Denmark, Helena's grandniece.

If Marianna were daughter of William of Saxony of Luneburg, her own marriage with Barnim I and her daughter Anastasia's marriage with Mecklenburg were not with close relatives through Brunswick dynasty. Ecclesiastics would have permitted it.

Edward Rymar published in 1980 a proposition that Marianna were daughter of king Eric X of Sweden. Hans Gillingstam seems to have accepted that hypothesis. However, in my view, this is probably not true.

Two of the above criteria fail as to duchess Marianna of Pomerania to be daughter of Rikissa Valdemarsdotter of Denmark, queen of Sweden (and then also of her husband king Eric X):

* Coat-of-Arms of that Swedish family was not a lion; the first Swedish royal Arms depicted three leopards (as the Danish Arms) and were taken into use by Rikissa's son Eric XI and continued by his nephew Valdemar I of Sweden - if Marianna were Eric XI's sister, three leopards would presumably have been her Arms; a Swedish family using a lion in those near decades, was that of Birger jarl; but there cannot be any reasonable proposition of Marianna being Birger's niece or like, because then almost all other criteria fails

* Eric X and his family cannot have in any way been understood as Saxon dukes.

These considerations militate so strongly against the admittedly presented hypothesis of Marianna being Swedish that it should be discarded.

literature:

A Duve, Marie oder Marianne, Jahrb?cher des Vereins f?r mecklenb?rgische Geschichte und Altertumskunde 2 (1837)

A Hofmeister, Genealogische Untersuchungen zur Geschichte des pommerschen Herzogshauses, Pommersche Jahrb?cher 31 (1937), p 104

Edward Rymar, Krolewna szwedska Marianna na tronie zachodniopomorskim w latach 1238-1252, Zapiski Historyczne 45 (1980)

Hans Gillingstam, Utomnordiskt och nordiskt i de äldsta svenska dynastiska förbindelserna, Personhistorisk Tidskrift 1981 pp 17..28 and p 180.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna