ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Nordström, John W., grundare av amerikansk fashion retailer chain  (läst 1722 gånger)

2002-01-03, 18:47
läst 1722 gånger

Utloggad Andreas Karlsson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 575
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 09:50
    • Visa profil
http://www.nordstrom.com/ fann jag en del intressanta uppgifter för svenska släktforskare. Jag citerar ut företagets historia: Our Start In 1887, a 16-year old boy left his home country of Sweden for the promise of New York City. He arrived with only five dollars in his pocket, unable to speak a word of English. His name? John W. Nordstrom. The first years in the land of opportunity were hard. To make ends meet, young John labored in mines and logging camps as he crossed the United States to California and Washington. Then one morning in 1897, he picked up a newspaper and read the front-page headline Gold Found in the Klondike in Alaska. The very next day, he made plans to head north. Things were no easier in the Klondike. The labor was hard, the terrain difficult, and there was an over-supply of eager workers. But within two years, John had earned $13,000 in a gold mine stake and returned to Seattle. Back in the Northwest, John was eager to invest his money. He had befriended a man while in Alaska, Carl Wallin, who owned a shoe store in downtown Seattle. It wasnt long before the two decided to go into partnership and open a shoe store together. In 1901, the two opened their first shoe store, Wallin & Nordstrom, in downtown Seattle. This was the start of what would become the retail legend of Nordstrom, Inc. From the beginning, Johns business philosophy was based on exceptional service, selection, quality and value. The company built a devoted customer base: and in 1923, the partners added their second store. In 1928, John Nordstrom retired and sold his share of the company to his sons, Everett and Elmer. Carl Wallin retired a year later and also sold his share of the company to the Nordstrom sons. A third son, Lloyd, joined the team in 1933. A Growing Reputation The company soon grew to become the largest independent shoe chain in the United States. By 1960, Nordstrom had eight stores in Washington and Oregon, and the downtown Seattle store became the largest shoe store in the country. By the early 1960s, the company was looking for new ways to spread its wings. Venturing into the clothing market, Nordstrom purchased Best Apparel, a Seattle-based clothing store, in 1963. Three years later, Nordstrom purchased a Portland, Oregon fashion retailer store and merged it with their existing Portland shoe store. For the first time, customers were greeted with a selection of both shoes and fine apparel under a new store name: Nordstrom Best. Mens clothing and childrens wear were added in 1966, expanding the store to meet the wardrobe needs of the entire family. Business prospered, and within two years, two new stores opened in Washington. In 1968, the three brothers decided to retire and hand the company over to the third Nordstrom generation. The company was now led by Everetts son Bruce, Elmers sons James and John, Lloyds son-in-law Jack McMillan, and family friend Bob Bender. The company went public in 1971. Just two years later, Nordstrom sales passed the $100 million mark and the company was recognized as the largest-volume West Coast fashion specialty store. This same year, the name was formally changed to Nordstrom, Inc. By 1975, the company had expanded into Alaska, and the first Nordstrom Rack was opened in Seattle as a clearance center for full-line store merchandise. Three years later, the company moved into the competitive California market: and by 1988, Nordstrom had made the big move to the East Coast with the opening of a beautiful new store in Virginia. Nordstrom Today While Nordstrom was growing nationally, it focused on catering to customers needs, individually. Instead of categorizing departments by merchandise, Nordstrom created fashion departments that fit individuals lifestyles. Today, Nordstrom has grown from one downtown Seattle shoe store into a nationwide fashion specialty chain with renowned services, generous size ranges and a selection of the finest apparel, shoes and accessories for the entire family. Though Nordstrom celebrates its 100th Anniversary this year, the companys philosophy has remained unchanged since its establishment by John W. Nordstrom a century ago: offer the customer the best possible service, selection, quality and value.

2002-01-03, 23:18
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Här är John W Nordstroms antavla i några generationer, framforskad av Britt-Marie Lundh, som arbetar på Family History Library i Salt Lake City, och som själv är från Luleå. 1 Johan Wilhelm Nordström. Född 1871 15/2 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Emigrerade 1887 28/5 från Nederluleå, BD till Klondyke, USA (B-ML). Efter en lyckosam tid i Klondyke, kom han till Seattle och startade en skoaffär med en god vän. Affären har senare utvecklats till Nordstroms varuhus, som finns i större städer i USA, särskilt då i västra delen. Hans sonson John Nordstrom var årets svensk-amerikan år 1992 (Far 2, Mor 3) ---------------------------- Generation I ---------------------------- 2 f Nils Petter Nilsson Nordström. Född 1822 26/8 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Död 1879 3/12 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Bonde i Alvik, Nederluleå. (Barn 1, Far 4, Mor 5) Gift 1:o med Anna Lisa Nilsdotter. Född 1823 (B-ML). Död 1854 (B-ML). Gift 2:o 1858 31/10 med efterföljande ana. Barn: Johan Wilhelm Nordström. Född 1871 15/2 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Se 1). 3 m Katarina Charlotta Berlin. Född 1838 12/5 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Barn 1, Far 6, Mor 7) Gift 1858 31/10 med föregående ana. --------------------------- Generation II --------------------------- 4 ff Nils Petter Olofsson. Född 1793 17/3 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Bonde i Ersnäs, Nederluleå. (Barn 2, Far 8, Mor 9) Gift med efterföljande ana. Barn: Nils Petter Nilsson Nordström. Född 1822 26/8 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Död 1879 3/12 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Se 2). 5 fm Margareta Olofsdotter. Född 1783 27/11 i Nederluleå, BD. (Barn 2, Far 10, Mor 11) Gift med föregående ana. 6 mf Samuel Berlin. Född 1800 19/3 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Död 1859 9/9 i Nederluleå, BD. Bonde i Bensbyn, Nederluleå. (Barn 3, Far 12, Mor 13) Gift 1827 (B-ML) med efterföljande ana. Barn: Katarina Charlotta Berlin. Född 1838 12/5 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Se 3). 7 mm Maria Cajsa Carlberg. Född 1806 19/8 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Barn 3, Far 14, Mor 15) Gift 1827 (B-ML) med föregående ana. --------------------------- Generation III --------------------------- 8 ff f Olof Nilsson. Född 1755 i Piteå (B-ML). Död 1835 5/11 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Bonde i Ersnäs, Nederluleå. (Barn 4) Gift 1786 (B-ML) med efterföljande ana. Barn: Nils Petter Olofsson. Född 1793 17/3 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Se 4). 9 ff m Magdalena Persdotter. Född 1763 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Död 1840 21/1 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Barn 4) Gift 1786 (B-ML) med föregående ana. 10 fm f Olof Johansson Wäst. Född 1762 (B-ML). Bonde i Ersnäs, Nederluleå. (Barn 5) Gift med efterföljande ana. Barn: Margareta Olofsdotter. Född 1783 27/11 i Nederluleå, BD. (Se 5). 11 fm m Lisa Persdotter. Född 1762 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Hon skall vara född i Antnäs, Nederluleå. (Barn 5) Gift med föregående ana. 12 mf f Jöns Hansson. Född 1756 (B-ML). (Barn 6) Gift 1778 (B-ML) med efterföljande ana. Barn: Samuel Berlin. Född 1800 19/3 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). Död 1859 9/9 i Nederluleå, BD. (Se 6). 13 mf m Cathrina Jönsdotter. Född 1755 (B-ML). (Barn 6) Gift 1778 (B-ML) med föregående ana. 14 mm f Johan Flygare Carlberg. Född 1775 7/11 (B-ML). Bosatt i Bensbyn, Nederluleå. (Barn 7) Gift med efterföljande ana. Barn: Maria Cajsa Carlberg. Född 1806 19/8 i Nederluleå, BD (B-ML). (Se 7). 15 mm m Cajsa Hansdotter. Född 1781 14/4 (B-ML). (Barn 7)

2004-05-20, 16:20
Svar #2

Malcolm C. McDonald

(8) Olof Nilsson Engström född 1755-09-10 i Svensbyn 37, Piteå lfs. Föräldrar: Nils Andersson (1725 - 1809)och Brita Olofsdotter (1726 - 1807. (9) Magdalena Persdotter född 1763-07-26 i Ersnäs 8.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna