ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Fylleri - Translation of word  (läst 1295 gånger)

2012-10-08, 00:46
läst 1295 gånger

Utloggad Mary Upgren Strand

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 30
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-10-08, 16:24
    • Visa profil
I have a question regarding the cause of death, “Fylleri”. What did it really mean in 1854?
Does it mean that the person died because he drank too much on that given day? Or was it a just a term used on someone that drank a lot and upon death it was just assumed that is what he died of?
I ask because I believe this is the cause of death of one of my ancestors, Anders Jansson who died 3-7-1854 at the age of 49. Of course there is high probability that my interpretation is wrong. If so, please let me know.

Household record, Sållerud  C:4 (1828-1860) Bild 159/sid 320.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

2012-10-08, 01:15
Svar #1

Utloggad Maj-Britt Sundin

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 965
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-25, 16:19
    • Visa profil
    • www.jamshog.net
If he died of fylleri, he was an alcoholic.

2012-10-08, 14:28
Svar #2

Utloggad Sten Hedvall

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 53
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-04-30, 22:51
    • Visa profil
Fylleri - Drunkenness,intoxication

2012-10-09, 02:03
Svar #3

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
One can die of alcohol poisoning in a one off circumstance, without having been an habitual drinker or a confirmed drunkard.
I don't know what the general usage or nuanced meaning of 'fylleri' as a listed cause of death was in 1854.  
Remember that alcohol used to be legally distilled on Swedish farms in olden days but I'm not familiar during which time periods this was illegal. Some historians have have indicated that in years of farmer unrest, the Kings facilitaed the redirection of agricultural grains from bread baking to booze making. (Unhappily, toddlers sometimes fell into low rimmed tubs of the stuff and drowned.)

2012-10-10, 00:57
Svar #4

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
It was more a case of the Crown not being able to check the private distillation... Then when the Crown needed money distillation again became a Crown monopoly and sheriffs (länsman) became extremely busy. Though private distillation was outlawed in 1756 due to the hard times; the crops were needed for food. In the latter part of the 18th century we learned how to make brännvin from potatoes (a lady scientist discovered how), which made the potato hugely popular after having spent about a century in obscurity.
Private distiallation was finally outlawed only in 1860, so it was permitted in 1854.

I'm sure the occasional toddler drowned in low-rimmed tubs of liquid, but I hardly think it was liquor - brewing beer and distilling liquor didn't take place in the kitchen but in special brewing huts (brygghus) to which I doubt toddlers had access (not to protect the toddlers but the precious brew) - also I think the vessels were generally closed.

Fylleri does have a connotation of long-time drinking, a habit, although it can also be used if you're caught drunk & disorderly. So either a criminal offence or habitual drunkenness (they knew about alcoholism in the 1850's).

Ingela

2012-10-10, 11:57
Svar #5

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
I believe he drank too much on a certain day, but I agree that the word also has another meaning, 'alcoholism' in modern parlance.

A common euphemism in kommunionböcker is 'hängiven till starka drycker'.

2012-10-10, 20:52
Svar #6

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
Thank you, Ingela, for sharing your knowledge here. I think it's in Wådeliga händelser under 17 och 1800-talen by Johan Wideen, which is a publication by 'Föreningen för hembygdsvård i Österfärnebo, Gästrikland', that there are cases of chilren drowning in vats of homebrew. I'll check my copy.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna