ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Old letter - translation help  (läst 1498 gånger)

2014-04-04, 17:19
läst 1498 gånger

Utloggad Hiel Lindquist

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 43
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-03-07, 17:55
    • Visa profil
Would someone assist me in the translation of an old letter?  Attached are images of the letter sections of 2 pages.  I need help with the lines after he writes about it has been 42 years and before the part where he says that he notices that a letter was written to Tilda in Skogsbo.  The letter was written in 1946, so I believe it is something about ration stamps.

Translate programs are ok, but I believe there is also some colloquial words in this section.  There are a couple of other places in letters where I need help, but I wanted to make sure this was the correct topic area for translations.

Thanks

Hiel

2014-04-04, 17:30
Svar #1

Utloggad Katrin Lundstedt-Enkel

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 250
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-11-21, 00:29
    • Visa profil
    • www.acurebio.com
I translate the letter more or less straight forward as it is written.
KLE is my name where I have inserted notes

...here this year I wish that you come here so you would see those changes here are done since you were home with us and this is now 46 years ago, imagine how quickly the time goes when one looks back. You write and ask after used stamps (already used as postage for letters, KLE note), but those I have not as I have never saved those they have accompanied (the letters-KLE note) to the range (where one burnt trash to start the fire before cooking-KLE note). I also see in your letter that you have written to Tilda in Skogsbo (Forest home) and you might believe that she was not...

2014-04-04, 18:35
Svar #2

Utloggad Hiel Lindquist

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you for your help.  Now the letter now makes sense to me.  He used the letters to start the fire in the stove.  My grandfather (he received the letter here in the USA) must have collected stamps.  The Swedish stamps on the letters were removed.  My grandfather must have asked if his brother-in-law in Sweden (who wrote the letter) had any used stamps.    

The letter was a bit difficult for me to translate as it was 2 pages long with only 2 or 3 sentences.  As we say in English, a run-on sentence.    

His sister, Tilda, lived in Skogsbo, a village in Södra Ving.  

Hiel

2014-04-04, 18:53
Svar #3

Utloggad Hiel Lindquist

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hej Katrin,
Here is the second letter. If you could help with the section after the line about the warm July and before the line the starts, Yes Carl.

Thank you for you help.

Hiel

2014-04-05, 07:05
Svar #4

Utloggad Katrin Lundstedt-Enkel

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 250
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-11-21, 00:29
    • Visa profil
    • www.acurebio.com
... cold early summer, but the first days of July got warmth and that was good for the hay harvest, it was quick and the hay was fine, the rest of the harvest shows also fine and we'll get nice harvest (in total he is satisfied with the amount of produce-KLE) so now should the ration cards (food were rationed during the war and also after-KLE) disappear at least for bread, flour and grain, but them men that runs the rationing will probably want that it shall be kept so that they can still get their large salaries as long as possible (hm... not a friend of the burocrats-KLE); we here in Sweden have had it good compared to how many others have had it.
Well you Carl, it would have been fun if you had come home and met once more in this life and the trip you would  probably manage then you would see how everything have turned differently since you were here last time.

As you said, quite rambling with no punctuations but a clear hand and easy to follow his meaning. Nice to read as a lot is written very old style making me remember my granny (born 1907) and her style of talking.
Anything else I can translate I´ll be happy to do as this was so fun!

2014-04-05, 13:57
Svar #5

Utloggad Hiel Lindquist

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you Katrin, for your help with the translation.  I had a good understanding of the letter from the translation that I did, but it is nice to fill in all the words that I had missed.

The person that wrote the letter was Gustaf Björkman, my grandfather's svåge.  Gustaf was a soldier in Sweden 1884 - 1902.  I received the letters some time ago from another member of my family.  It was fun to read the letters and see a bit of personality of some ancestors that I never met.  In each letter Gustaf complains about conditions during the war, but is quick to say they had it pretty good in Sweden compared to others.

Gustaf wrote several times with an invitation for my grandfather to return to Sweden for a visit, or even to live.  Sad that he never made the trip and he passed away a few years after these letters.  My grandfather must have cherished the letters as they were all carefully preserved.  

kind regards

Hiel

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna