ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Anderson, Anders & daughter Maria  (läst 683 gånger)

1999-12-02, 05:03
läst 683 gånger

Utloggad Doris Arnold

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 14
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Looking for information on my great grandfather Anders (Andrew) Anderson, DOB 6/3/1830, in Tveta, Warmland, and his daughter my grandmother Maria Victoria Anderson, DOB 1/22/1855, in Mo, Elfsborgslan.  Great grandmother was Stina (Christina) Hendricksdotter, DOB 2/12/1827, in Mo, Elfsborgslan.  

Where is Mo, Elfsborgslan? Where is Tveta? Are these correct spellings?

This couple -- Anders and Stina -- also had daughters Bertha, DOB abt 1847 and Gustava DOB abt 1849.

The family emigrated to USA in 1870.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

David Clark
also

1999-12-02, 12:04
Svar #1

Utloggad Anita Hjorth

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 247
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-05-25, 16:07
    • Visa profil
Hi David!
Tveta is a parish in Värmland. Mo is the adjoining parish to the west, on the other side of the Värmland-Älvsborg border. If you look on a map, look to the northwest corner of the lake Vänern. There is a big peninsula west of the town of Karlstad. Further to the west, on the other side of the peninsula, between the two small towns Säffle and Åmål are Tveta and Mo on each side of the border.
Anita

1999-12-04, 16:41
Svar #2

clark

Anita,  Thanks ever so much.  On my Michelin map of all of Europe (very little detail) I found the lake and the town of Karlstad.  Must get a more detailed map.

We also have a picture of grandfather's mother which shows the photographer at Wenersborg.  Do you know where that might be? Name of the photographer was Ollie Presto... I wonder if there are directories (like City Directories) from late 19th Cent to show such things.

David

1999-12-05, 01:13
Svar #3

Utloggad Anita Hjorth

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
David, Vänersborg, as we spell it today, is just 20 minutes by car from where I live. Look at the lake Vänern again. Vänersborg is situated by the lake, at the very southwestern corner of if. There is a map at http://www.vanersborg.se/ Just look for the world karta, that is Swedish for map.
Sorry that I don´t know anything about the photographer. Ollie Presto doesn´t sound like a Swedish name. If I find anything I´ll let you know.
Anita

1999-12-05, 06:02
Svar #4

David

Anita, Thank you so much, Again!  I went to Barnes  & Noble tonight, bought a much better map of Sweden (scale 1:800,000), and easily found Vanersborg.  It took some looking, but I also found Tveta just west and south of Saffle.  Mo is just south  of Tveta and very close to Amal, and seems to be spelled Movik.  Am I right?

Well, what town are you living in?

Thanks again for your help.  

David

1999-12-05, 09:39
Svar #5

Utloggad Carl-Johan Ivarsson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 807
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-23, 18:39
    • Visa profil
Hi David!
Well, Movik used to be the name of the post office of Mo (Dalsland). There is other places in Sweden with the name Mo, so it needed to be distinguished in some way. I think that the name Movik was invented for the post office. There is no place, community or village named Movik. The name on your map seems to be a misunderstanding.
However, the post office of Movik is now closed and the residents of Mo receive their mail through Åmål. Therefore no one use the name Movik anymore. Believe me, I live in Kila, Värmland, close to both Tveta and Mo!

1999-12-05, 18:23
Svar #6

Utloggad Anita Hjorth

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hallo David, I live in Trollhättan, just south of Vänersborg, by the river that flows from the lake Vänern to Göteborg( or Gothenburg as you might call it). What part of the US do you live in?
Anita

1999-12-06, 01:09
Svar #7

CPeterson

Hello David:  When you purchased the map of Sweden at Barnes & Nobel was it over the internet or did it come by mail?  I'm especially interested in Dalarna, Värmland, and östergötland. That's where my grandparents came from in the 1880s. Thanks. Clyde D Peterson

1999-12-06, 06:40
Svar #8

David

Thanks to everyone for all your help.  I went to a Barnes & Noble store in Tustin, Orange County, California to buy the map.  Same company as the internet one, but it's a real physical bricks and mortar store where you can browse around, have a Starbucks coffee, listen to music on Saturday night, and people-watch.  It's about three miles (5 km) from my home in Irvine, CA.  These are suburbs about 35-40 miles south of Los Angeles on the main freeway south (Called I-5).  If you keep going 90 miles or so, you'll be in Mexico.  

The world's best surfing is only a few miles west of me in Huntington Beach.  

I found Trollhatten on the map.  It looks like a good sized city.  Goteborg I know is quite large and well known.  

Someday next year I plan to visit, but first must locate grandfather's parish in Stockholm and find out more about his history.

Thanks all again.  

David

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna