ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Gus Samuelson-Sweden to Canada to Sweden & SECRETS!  (läst 303 gånger)

2000-03-22, 21:05
läst 303 gånger

Donna Corlett

Hi. Gus Samuelson emigrated to Canada and settled in British Columbia some time prior to 1934.  
I believe his Swedish name would have Gustav Samuelsson. (He may have had an additional given name, but if so I am not aware of it.)

He fathered one child (possibly two) with a lady by the name of Gerda Hedberg.  That child was my mother, whom was born in 1934.  Through Gerda's son Roy, I have seen one photograph that was dated as approximately 1930 that included Gus and he appeared to be somewhat older than Gerda.  
They apparently were a couple for a period of time, but never married.  Gus was seen a number of times visiting Gerda at the hospital in Calgary, Alberta where she had been sent away to have the baby.  Family members believed the reason they never married was because Gus already had a wife back in Sweden. He did return to Sweden permanently.  Since Gerda met her husband to be in 1936, I think it is likely that Gus had left Canada by that time (it was a very small community).  
Roy recalled that as a youngster he had seen pictures of Gus. His understanding was that Gus had been a friend of Gerda and the family.  He was not aware of her actual connection to him until many years later.

A letter was sent to Gerda sometime in the 1950's that informed her that Gus had passed away. This letter was apparently sent to her by a sister of Gus.
I have questions about the circumstances because even though I do not know when Gus Samuelson emigrated...even if it was early 1930's -would it not be strange for a wife to remain in Sweden for at least 3 or 4 years without her husband?  
With so little information I realize that I have quite a task in front of me.  
My relatives (Hedbergs) were from Björna parish, Västernorrland Iän.  Since Gerda was only three years old at the time of the emigration I think it is safe to assume she didn't know Gus in Sweden.  Perhaps his family was from the same parish and county of Sweden..or perhaps there was no connection at all until he showed up in BC Canada.(??!!)  Obviously Gus's sister was aware of his connection to Gerda in Canada as she wrote to let her know of her brothers passing.  Thus their relationship wasn't a total secret.
I really have no idea where to go from here.  Any suggestions? Help!

Thank you,
Donna Corlett

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna