ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Gustaf Edvin Samuelsson  (läst 1374 gånger)

2000-04-03, 22:32
läst 1374 gånger

Donna Corlett

I found an immigration form completed by Gustaf Edvin Samuelsson upon his arrival in Canada.  The information noted that he was 18 years of age at the time of his arrival (April 5, 1924). He sailed on a third class ticket aboard the S.S. Stockholm.  The date of sailing was March 26, 1924.  He listed his nearest relative in country from which he came as August Samuelsson (his father) and the place of residence as Långasjö,Sweden.  He also listed Lida,Långasjö as his birthplace.  His form noted that he was destined to Golden, British Columbia.  
I am wondering if anyone can provide any additional information.  Specifically family information/members and if it is recorded if and when Gustaf returned to Sweden.  He apparently left Canada sometime between 1934-1940 and married after returning to Sweden.  
Also-what Iän does Långasjö belong to?  I tried to locate/understand this through the Swedish gazetteer-and LDS site but found it confusing.  
Can anyone assist me with this?  I would be grateful.

Regards,
Donna Corlett

2000-04-04, 21:25
Svar #1

Donna Corlett

I forgot to mention that the form for Gustaf also notes the following:
His passport was noted as NO:131  
Issued by Länsstryrelsen
Date of issue March 23, 1924 at Wäxiö in Sweden (I think Wäxiö was meant to mean Växjö!)
The name of Gustaf's booking agent was W. Pehrsson of Malmö.

Another note to mention:
I requested a look up on the CD Emigranten. I got an answer yesterday and am a little more confused!  The listing notes two Gustaf Samuelsson's from Långasjö.  There is only a slight difference in the entries-which are listed one after the other.  One notes the middle given name as E and the other as Ed.  Similarly the destination is noted as Golden for one entry and Golden,BC for the other.  The age is noted as 18 and 19.  Could this be a duplicate entry (correcting errors-perhaps?) for the same person???
Golden city directories back then only note one Gustaf Edvin Samuelsson-and although I realize that perhaps a person may (eventually)end up somewhere else...I still found this strange. Golden was (and still is) a very small town with a population of less than 900 inhabitants.

I think that even if there actually were two gentlemen that emigrated the same time...what would be the odds that both would permanently return to Sweden?  
At this point, I remain hopeful for...help!!

Thank you,
Donna Corlett

2000-04-09, 06:04
Svar #2

Donna Corlett

Can anyone PLEASE HELP me?!! I would greatly appreciate it. I am still seeking assistance to help me trace Gustaf.  I thought that the information I found on his Canadian immigration form would be helpful but...?

While checking back for responses to my queries (more than a few times!!), I realized that I noted Gustaf's birthplace from the form as Lida, Långasjö.  His birthplace was only noted as Långasjö...it was his fathers residence that was noted as Lida Långasjö.  
Again I would be very grateful for some help with this.
Regards,
Donna

2000-04-09, 09:52
Svar #3

Utloggad Kaj Janzon

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1293
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-01-14, 10:41
    • Visa profil
    • www.medeltiden.st
Hi Donna,

Lida is the name of a village in Långsjö parish, now in the kommun of Emmaboda in Kalmar län. I'm afraid that's about all the help I'm able to give you in this matter.

Regards
Kaj Janzon

2000-04-11, 04:01
Svar #4

Donna Corlett

Kaj: Thank you for your response.  Is the Lida village (in Långasjö parish) you've noted the only one in Sweden... as far as you know?  

The reason I ask is the Långasjö references that I could find through the Swedish gazetteer site noted BLEKINGE (Karlskrona), KALMAR(Emmaboda) and HALLAND(Falkenberg) counties as potential matches for Långasjö.  Somewhere else I found mention of Kronoberg Iän. Also if it is now in the kommun of Emmaboda in Kalmar Iän -as you note-was it previously belonging elsewhere?
Can you expand on this for me?  I hope so!!

Thanks again Kaj.
Donna

2000-04-11, 06:42
Svar #5

Utloggad Kaj Janzon

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.medeltiden.st
Donna: Lida is not very uncommon as a place name in Sweden, there's tens of Lida. There are, as you've noticed, also several Långasjö in Sweden. However Långasjö in this case must be the name of a parish and there is only one parish in Sweden with that name, the one situated in Kalmar län. Parishes preceded kommuner as administrative entities, so the answer to your question about Emmaboda is that before belonging to Emmaboda kommun Lida belonged to Långasjö parish.

regards
Kaj

2000-04-11, 14:19
Svar #6

Utloggad Kaj Janzon

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.medeltiden.st
Donna, I wrote my previous message rather early in the morning, so perhaps I should clarify a thing or two. Parishes and Provinces (Landskap) are historically administrative entities, that no longer have any such function in the (very) secularized Swedish society of today. The basic administrative entity nowadays is the kommun. The landskap has in a similar way been replaced by län. The parishes today only handle internal church matters. Thus a lot of people all over Sweden could tell you approximately in what part of the country Emmaboda kommun is situated, but relatively few outside Emmaboda will have any idea of where Långasjö parish is. The parish is so to speak a dead entity, seen from an administrative point of view. However for us in search of our ancestors the parish of course is a lot more important than the kommun.

Regards
Kaj

2000-04-12, 20:12
Svar #7

Donna Corlett

Kaj: Hi.  Good to hear from you! Thanks so much for your responses.  
Am I correct in understanding that because of my reference to Lida, Långasjö-there can only be the one match you recounted?  I apologize but it has  been rather confusing.
By the way,the reference I made to Kronoberg Iän was from the CD Emigranten request I had placed.  It noted a letter code for each entry on the list that I was sent.  Gustaf Samuelsson's was G.  When I went to look up the county etc. codes on the same site-it noted this as Kronoberg Iän.  Based on this I was unsure...
The immigration form that Gustaf completed upon his arrival in Canada only noted the names Lida, Långasjö (as his fathers residence) and Långasjö (as his birthplace).
I appreciate your insight...do you have any more to offer?!!  Do you think that the best route is to attempt to locate/search Långasjö parish records?  
Also can you tell me briefly aboout Swedish currency and how it would convert to Canadian (or American) dollars?
Many thanks,
Donna

2000-04-12, 20:56
Svar #8

Utloggad Kaj Janzon

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.medeltiden.st
Donna: I'll try not to complicate things any more for you. Yes, there's only one match, the parish of Långasjö, which is now a part of Emmaboda kommun in Kalmar län. The reference to Kronoberg län goes back to the days before Emmaboda kommun was created, and was quite correct then. Swedish currency 1 krona (SEK)= 100 öre. 100 US dollars will buy you roughly about 800 kronor. If you'd like to see Långasjö on a map try this link (map over Emmaboda kommun): http://www.emmaboda.se/SIDOR/ram/karta.htm

Regards
Kaj

2000-04-12, 21:52
Svar #9

Utloggad Kaj Janzon

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.medeltiden.st
One more thing Donna. The information you're seeking is partly so recent that there might arise some legal obstacles that could prevent you from obtaining it. I'm afraid I can't help you with this, since I don't know very much about the legal mumbo jumbo in these matters. I suggest you write a letter to the parish, and explain what information you're looking for and for what purpose. I'm shure they'll be able to tell you what you may obtain and how. You will find the address at this site: http://www.crossnet.se/karta/svenska_kyrkan.html

Regards
Kaj

2000-04-12, 23:15
Svar #10

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna!
Your information about Gustafs passport indicates that Långasjö parish is the place to find him. Before 1971 Långasjö parish was a part of Kronobergs län. From 1971 it is a part of Kalmar län.
Refering to your question about his return to Sweden: Yes, if he did return it has been recorded by the Swedish authorities. And he will not be to hard to find in official records.
Swedish citizens are recorded by the help of a number. Our system is based on when you where born, it consists of ten numbers where the first six is like this year,year,month,month,day,day. I myself is born the 9th of november 1953, so my number is 531109 plus four other figures giving in what län I was born, etcetera. If you have knowledge of when Gustaf was born, it will be quite easy to find him.

Regards     Sven-Ove Brattström
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2000-04-13, 03:15
Svar #11

Donna Corlett

Kaj: Hi! How wonderful it was to get the messages.

Based on your information, I would be looking for records that pertain to when Långasjö belonged to Kronoberg Iän since the time frame for Gustaf's birth would be approximately 1905. Would those records have been transferred to Kalmar Iän when it changed over or would they be maintained/held where they originated? Parish records should list Gustaf, his father (August) and other family information-right?!  
Is there any searchable websites like the 1890 census including Västernorrland-for Kronoberg Iän or Kalmar Iän? Just wondering...I realize that have far less info than I did for the HEDBERG side of my family but...
I am currently awaiting a letter from a family member (cousin) that may have additional information- but they are about 85 years old and not well so...I am hopeful!

About more current records.  I have read that records may not be accessible until after 70 years and that could pose a problem for locating Gustaf's return and facts from that time on which is of course of interest. I'll have to try!  
I may be able to get hospital information here to confirm his paternity.  In the last year or so in British Columbia, Canada records of babies given up for adoption are no longer sealed.  They were when my mother was born in 1934 but it's another avenue.  After all, (and 63 years!) we have all the birth mothers information (she is deceased since 1993) and the information for the other daughter born (1932) who was also given up for adoption.  They just might allow it...I have to try that too!  I believe that I recently read that the 70 year rule (in Sweden) may be flexible if the person is the direct father/mother of the inquiring party.  If I can get the certificate here I will be able to show this.
Thanks for the money notation.  It gives me a reference point.  Also, I will check the sites you mentioned later tonight.

Well as usual I have run on far too long! It is all so fascinating to me.  Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Yours gratefully!
Donna

2000-04-13, 03:55
Svar #12

Donna Corlett

Sven-Ove: Hi.  Thanks for your message.  
In my previous messages I was not referring to Gustaf's actual passport but the immigration form (30A) that he had to complete upon entry to Canada.  He listed his birthplace on that form as Långasjö.  This form also required the entering individual to list the nearest relative from whence they came and that persons place of residence.  Gustaf listed August Samuelsson as his father and his fathers residence as Lida, Långasjö.  Since Gustaf was apparently 18 (or 19) at the time of his immigration- I would assume that he also had resided (and/or was born) at the same place prior to leaving. This is of course assuming the family had always lived within Långasjö parish-right?!!
I do have the information of where and when his passport was issued, the number and the booking agent's name and place.  Can that actually be a route to retrieve information? Where records of operating booking agents maintained/archived?  I did not think it would include much more information than the form 30A-and I would think that would not be accessible anyway-right?!

I thought that the number codes for each Swedish citizen was quite interesting and very logical.  At this point however, I will need to go to the parish records to confirm the actual birth date (pending family sources as well).  All the information that I've received so far is cohesive so it should be the determining factor.

Thanks alot Sven-Ove!  
Regards,
Donna

2000-04-16, 04:46
Svar #13

Donna Corlett

Sven-Ove: Hi. I was wondering about the personal citizen code for each person.  The first six figures signify the persons birth as you stated. (year,year/month,month/day,day)  
You also explained that the Iän the individual had been born in would be two figures.  What about the final two figures? What do they represent-what is their significance?
What information is available (accessible) about an individual through this citizen number?  How long has this been in practise in Sweden?  

Thank you,
Donna

2000-04-18, 21:30
Svar #14

Donna Corlett

Well...through the commendable efforts of a very kind individual I have obtained the birthdate for Gustaf Samuelsson.  He was born November 27, 1905.
I also understand that his full or proper name was: Gustav Edvin Bernhard Samuelsson
So...I still am wondering about this citizen code and what information can be derived from it.  Can anyone expalin or direct me further?

Thanks very much,
Donna

2000-04-19, 07:14
Svar #15

Eva Dahlberg

Hi Donna,
under the new heading you created on 17 April with the title Swedish citizen codes ?! under the heading Swedish customs, there is an excellent answer (two really) and a link is provided by Roland Johansson to the Swedish authority (the National Tax Board) that is responsible for the population registration in Sweden. Please read that. The official English translation of personnummer is personal identity number. I have tried Roland's link twice, it worked on the 17th but not this morning. If it doesn't work, the website is http://www.rsv.se/broschyrer/fbf/index.html, where you'll find a broschure in PDF called Population registration in Sweden. It explains a lot (also mentions the Official Secrecy Act briefly).

Regarding Gustaf Samuelsson, have you or someone researching for you in Sweden contacted the Långasjö parish, since records must be available there, as it is the 1900s and Småland I don't think the records have been transferred to the Regional Archives yet. Do you also have his date of death?
Regards, Eva Dahlberg.

PS. Genealogy requires patience ...

2000-04-19, 11:38
Svar #16

Utloggad Sven Grönberg

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 255
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-07-31, 13:22
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna,

there is a CD-ROM with personal facts about everyone deceased in Sweden 1968-1996. Gustaf might be found on that CD. I don't have that CD, but probably someone else could help you?

2000-04-19, 13:54
Svar #17

John Sidén

Hi Donna!
I have found Gustaf Edvin Bernhard Furuhem on the CD that Sven mentioned. He was born 1905 November 27 but the CD does not give any information where he was born. He died 1993 January 13 in Ekeby parish, district of Östergötland, and the address where he lived when he died was Bjursdalsvägen 6 A 590 10 BOXHOLM (about 2,5 Sw miles from where I live). I think Gustaf chaged his last name to Furuhem when he came back to Sweden. I also found on the CD Gustaf's wife, they married 1948 September 25, her name is Berta Johanna Maria, born 1902 September 17 in Nora parish, district of Västmanland, no information about her last name before the marriage, she died 1975 January 1 in Ekeby parish.  
If You want more information about Gustaf and his wife, You can write to Ekeby pastorat Box 52  590 10 BOXHOLM.
With best wishes
John Sidén
minister in Veta parish in the district of Östergötland

2000-04-19, 15:56
Svar #18

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
As I have access to a newer version of the above-mentioned CD, I can confirm that Gustaf Edvin Bernhard Furuhem was born in Långasjö, Kronoberg county.

2000-04-20, 20:12
Svar #19

Donna Corlett

Eva, Sven, John & Elisabeth: Hi.  Thanks to each of you for the information and comments.  I greatly appreciated your responses.  I tried to send a thank you yesterday (old urgent me!) but for some reason it would not post.  Well at least now my gratitiude is expressed!

I wanted to ask if anyone would comment on the following:
How common is it for an individual to change their surname in Sweden?  Here in Canada it is a legal process that requires both time and money.  
Also I would assume that there would be some degree of heritage and pride in one's family name-correct?

I am familiar with possibility for an individual to change their surname upon leaving service of the Swedish army, but...what about people who have not been in military service?  
Additionally, how common a practise would this be in the time frame involved here? (20th century)

Specifically in reference to Gustaf:  It seems a little odd to me that he would change his surname after returning to Sweden in 1946.  At this point in time he was already over 40 years of age.
I am not sure of the exact year he changed it but there was a study book found (a HUGE thanks to Lars!)published in 1967 on the emigration of the Långasjö parish in which his new name is noted in brackets.  I think it more likely that he changed it soon after returning.

There is more to the story, I'm sure.  I still am awaiting a letter from a elderly family member (cousin) and perhaps this will shed more light on it all.  I think that perhaps Gustaf did not want to be found by the birthmother of the two daughters fathered here in Canada.  I had been told through a friend of the birthmother (Gerda Hedberg) that she had received word by letter from Gustaf's sister that Gustaf had passed away-some time in the 50's or 60's. (Not sure of the accuracy of this.)  That obviously wasn't true as he clearly lived for a substantially longer period of time and didn't pass away until 1993.

Your comments and thoughts are welcomed.

Kindest regards,
Donna

2000-04-21, 11:44
Svar #20

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Hi Donna, it has been very common for people with patronymic surnames to change to more specific surnames during the 1900s. It does involve a legal procedure, and maybe that has been noted in the church records of the parish, where he lived after returning to Sweden.

2000-04-22, 03:02
Svar #21

Donna Corlett

Elisabeth:  Hi.  Thank you for your comment.  I will look into the church records to try to get further clarification.
Regards,
Donna

2000-04-22, 04:21
Svar #22

Harold Ek

Elisabeth

You mentioned that you had access to the CD for the death records from 1968 - 1996.

Is there a version that has earier information?
I think my grandparents both died in the early 1940s but do not have any more specific info.

Do you know if that CD is available through the Family History Libraries (Mormon)?

Thank You
Harold Ek
Is Tack sä myket the right phrase to use?

2000-04-22, 13:10
Svar #23

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Hello Harold, the CD I have access to gives information about people that have died in Sweden 1950-1998, but for the first 20 years you do not have the names, just dates, as the data was collected for statistical purposes and names took too much valuable storage space in those days.

I think that at least the library in Salt Lake City has the older version 1968-1996. The new version is not yet available on the market, but will be in a month or so.

Tack så mycket is the right phrase, you have to be careful if there is a little ring or the two dots, gives different meanings to a word, sometimes.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna