ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: HEDBERG- Nils, Edla Kristina, Gottnar and Gerda  (läst 901 gånger)

2000-02-11, 18:43
läst 901 gånger

donna

Hi.  I forgot to note something with regard to the Canadian death records for Nils and Edla Kristina Hedberg.  The records are accessible twenty years after an event of death has occurred in the province of British Columbia, Canada.    
Nils passed away on December 17, 1949 and his age was listed as 72. Edla Kristina passed away on December 30, 1954 and her age was listed as 74.  Based on these records I assume that Nils was born in 1877 and Edla Kristina in 1881.  Since I do not know their actual birthdates these years could be off- but since they both passed so close to the end of the year I believe the birth years I calculated would be correct...
I also am aware that a brother of Nils also emmigrated to Canada by the name of Sven Hedberg.  He also passed away in BC Canada on April 5, 1958 and his age at the time of passing was 77.  Thus I believe he was born in 1881 (approximately-I don't know his actual birthdate either).
Apparently there were some other family members that emigrated to Canada as well. Audrey recalled that Edla Kristina's brother and wife also emmigrated-although without knowing her maiden name I have no way of tracking down that avenue at this point.
I did find one other name on the death record index. The name of Segrid Kataruna Hedberg. This lady was 93 years old when she passed away on July 10, 1940.  What caught my eye was that she passed away in Golden BC.  From what I do know the family (Nils,Edla,Gottnar and Gerda) lived here and it is a VERY small town.  Segrid must have been born approximately 1847...could she be the mother of Nils and Sven?

Anxious and hopeful for HELP!

Donna Corlett
Toronto, Canada

2000-02-12, 09:29
Svar #1

Magnus Johansson

Donna: I found Nils Hedberg in the Census 1890 for the parish of Anundsjö in the county of Västernorrland. He was born 1877 in the parish Björna. His father was Sven Jonsson Hedberg, born 1837 in the parish of Anundsjö. His mother was Sigrid Katarina Nilsdotter, born 1847 in the parish of Vilhelmina.

The family had six children in 1890.
Jonas, born 1872
Märta Katarina, born 1874
Nils, born 1877
Sven, born 1880
Sigrid Karolina, born 1886
Jakob, born 1889

I can't give you any further information right now, but I could try to do some more research about the family in the churchs records.

Greetings,
Magnus

2000-02-14, 03:13
Svar #2

donna

Magnus: Thank you very much for your prompt and informative response!  I was thrilled to read your message.    
I would appreciate any further information that you may be able to locate about the family in the church records.  Would church records list Nils marriage to Edla Kristina and the birth of his children-Gottnar and Gerda? (noted in my query of February 11-Gerda was my mothers birthmother). How about when they actually left Sweden to immigrate to Canada?  Would that be recorded there too?

Again, thank you Magnus.  I hope to hear from you soon.  
Should you know of anyone who needs help locating information here in Canada-I would be willing to assist in any way I can.

Kindest regards,
Donna

2000-02-24, 18:02
Svar #3

Magnus Johansson

Donna: Nils Hedberg was born September 22nd, 1877 in Uttersjö, Björna parish. He married on December 17th, 1905 in Björna parish Edla Kristina Sjöberg. She was born November 16th, 1879 in Bjurholm parish. Nils was first a worker in Björna, Björna parish. 1909 the family moved to Hemling, Björna parish. Nils was a worker and shoemaker in Hemling. They emigrated to Canada 1913.

Sven Gottnar, born February 16th, 1907 in Björna, Björna parish.

Gerda Regina, born June 19th, 1910 in Hemling, Björna parish.

I also got some information about Sigrid Katarina Nilsdotter from Ingalena Marthin.

Sigrid Katarina Nilsdotter was born 1847 in Ulvoberg, Vilhelmina parish. She was a daughter of Nils Jakobsson, born September 26th, 1818, and his wife Märta Cajsa Svensdotter, born 1821. Nils and his wife came 1847 from Anundsjö parish and moved 1851 back to Anundsjö parish. According to church records in Vilhelmina Nils and Märta Cajsa had atleast five children:

Jakob, born April 25th, 1843.
Märta Kristina, born June 20th, 1844.
Sigrid Katarina, born June 1st, 1847.
Sven, born April 2nd, 1849.
Nils, born April 2nd, 1851.

Hope you find the information useful.

Greetings
Magnus

2000-02-29, 19:27
Svar #4

donna

Magnus: I was away a few days so I just got your message.  
It was fascinating and I am grateful for your kind efforts-yet again. How wonderful! Please
extend my gratitude to Ingalena Marthin as well.

I'd like to ask for your opinion and/or suggestions with regard to the emigration. I have checked microfilm records here in Toronto trying to locate the family- without success. As I mentioned before Roy (Gerda's son) told me that he believed that they emigrated in June of 1913 and that the ship name was the Corsican (or the Corsica) and that they landed at Halifax, Nova Scotia.  
I found a site where one can request a single name look up on the CD Emigranten so I submitted Nils Hedberg.  The lady (Cathy Maak) responded that there was no Nils Hedberg matching my request and that perhaps the family travelled to Norway or Denmark and departed from there. My question would be-how and why? Some feeder ships also sailed from Sweden-correct? Do the church records list any kind of information other than the year they emigrated? I hope so because I am really struggling with this one.

The other thing that I wanted to mention was that I also happened upon a site that now lists the 1890 census for Sweden.  I looked up Edla Kristina and found her in the Bjorholm parish.  Her mother was listed as Sara Johanna Olofsdotter.  Sara's children were listed as:

Sven Olof-born 1877
Edla Kristina-born 1879
Jonas Elof-born 1882
Maria Johanna-born 1885

There was no father listed. I was wondering why this would be? Could it be that he passed away sometime before the 1890 census?  From your research I understand Edla's surname was listed as Sjöberg in the actual church records. I was hoping to locate her father as well but..
I did go back to the BC Death Index to check for Edla's siblings-since I know from Audrey that she boarded with and aunt and uncle on Edla's side in the 1940's. I did not locate Edla's brothers but I did find a Maria Johanna Gustafson. She passed away on December 26, 1972 at 87 years of age which would mean she was born in 1885(approximately of course!). Marriage records are not open until 75 years after the event so I cannot check that-and she may well have married in Sweden before emigrating to Canada. This lady was listed in Burnaby BC which is where Nil's brother Sven had lived and passed so...  
What do you think? I think this could well be Edla's sister.

Well I believe that is enough for this message.   I look forward to hearing from you, Magnus.

Regards,
Donna

2000-03-01, 02:02
Svar #5

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna!
You will have to consult the church records to find out facts about the persons. The census records are just a straight counting of the population at a given time in the country. Yet they are a great help when trying to find lost people here in Sweden, as our country is among the largest in Europe.
Sven-Ove Brattström
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2000-03-04, 23:03
Svar #6

donna

Sven-Ove: Hi!  
Since my search began I certainly have become aware of the importance of church records for locating detailed facts about individuals in Sweden.
Still I believe that the 1890 census that I made reference to is an interesting finding aid. It reaffirmed the information that I already had from Magnus, family sources and vital events registers here in Canada. The searchable site does note that it is only parts of the census. (www.foark.umu.se) It did list my ggf's parents and his siblings in the Anundsjö parish, Västernorrland- and included information such as their place of residence, birthyears, occupation, household number, civil status and more.  
Actually, the additional research information so generously provided to me by Magnus (and Ingalena Marthin) was found in the church records, as noted in his message.  
Thanks for your interest and insight.

Greetings,
Donna Corlett
(Magnus: I hope to hear from you!)

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna