ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Ida Margaret Johnson, Born 3 Mar 1864  (läst 2337 gånger)

2005-02-05, 00:47
läst 2337 gånger

Heather Shepard

I am new to Swedish research, and don't really know where to start.  I am looking for any information on Ida Margaret Johnson or her family.  

Nels Anders Johnson (father)
Born: Varmland, Sweden
Died: Varmland, Sweden

Inga Carrie Johnson (mother) or Inga Kajsa
Born: 24 May 1839 Varmland, Sweden  
Died: 9 May 1919 Leon, Goodhue, Minnesota, USA
(Her mother was Carrie Nelson.?)

Ida Margaret Johnson
Born: 3 Mar 1864 Varmland, Sweden
Died: 22 Aug 1950 Red Wing, Goodhue, Minnesota

Edward or Andrew Nels Johnson (brother)
Born: 6 Aug 1866 Village of Andvart?, Varmland
Died: 6 Jun 1947 Lake Norden, Hamlin, South Dakota

Ida and her mother, Inga, immigrated to the United States around the year 1870? after her father had passed away.  Her younger brother, Edward, was left behind for a time until Inga had the money to send for him.  Inga was working as a housekeeper in Red Wing, Goodhue, Minnesota, USA.  Edward came over with distant relatives.  Ida had a cousin named Edvard Sands that also immigrated to the Goodhue County, Minnesota, USA area.  His father's name was Gustav, and he may have had a brother named Alfred Sands.  

I have never been able to find a Village of Andvart on any map or atlas, so I'm not sure if such a place ever existed.  I don't know what parish they lived in either.  

If anyone could help, or at least point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.  I am feeling a little overwhelmed with my lack of Swedish knowledge.  Thank you!

2005-02-05, 09:44
Svar #1

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Heather!

I believe I found IngaCajsas birth in Fröskog, Abborrtjärn, Gunnarskog parish :

her family at birth incl. her grandfather/grandmother info

The birthplace Aborrtjärn is quite a nice name for a place. It translates into Perches tarn my try to translate - hope OK!

Just let me have one or two days more so I can follow up this lead!

Regards

Olle

2005-02-05, 14:13
Svar #2

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Heather!

Another addition - Ida's birth record:

from this you can see that the correct name of Ida's  father is Per Jansson (or Jonsson) Occ. Hem. ägare = Hemmansägare = freeholder.

I did search for her younger brother Edward, but no luck (even if he has the same birthday Aug 6 as myself!).

2005-02-05, 18:02
Svar #3

Heather Shepard

Olle,
I was so excited to see what you had posted.  Thank you so much.  Thank you also for explaining some of the words to me.  I don't know Swedish, but am eager to learn more of the language.  I tried to understand the words the best I could.  I had a little difficulty with the section of Inga Kajsa's family at birth.  This is what I guessed.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Father:  
Anders Jonsson born 15 May 1802
Mother:
Injerd Andersdr born 1799
Daughter:
Maria Ersdr? born ? May 1829
Daughter:
Inga Cajsa born 24 May 1839
Grandfather:
Jon ? born 1770
Grandmother:
Karin ? born 1764
Son:
Jacob Jonsson born 7 Nov 1792?

I am guessing that these are the parents and brother of Inga's father Anders Jonsson.  Is that correct?  The word after the birthdate I didn't understand.  Is that the place of birth?  Also, is Maria a daughter of Injerd by a prvious marriage?  It looked like her last name was Ersdr.  Wouldn't that meant that Anders was not her father?  I'm confused.  Sorry.

Thanks again.  I hope I haven't asked too many questions.

2005-02-05, 18:44
Svar #4

Utloggad Sari Wilhelmsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1147
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-03-13, 21:21
    • Visa profil
Hi Heather, Maria Ersdotter is öä(oäkta) born out of marrige. Ingerd hade a child with someone Erik. In the place called Gräsmark.
The word after birthdate is as you allredy guessed, the birthplace. I belive you are correct in thinking that Jon and Karin are the grand parents of Inga Cajsa.

Torp: Anders Jonsson, Gunnarskog
wife(h) Ingerd Andersdotter, Gräsmark
Illigimate daughter (oä) Maria Ersdotter, samma(same place)
daugther Inga Cajsa, Gunnarskog
.....Jon Persson....Gunnarskog(to the right you kan see that he is dead(död).)
Enk.hust.(widowed) Karin Svensdotter? Gräsmark
Son Jacob Jonsson Gunnarskog
Sari

2005-02-05, 19:33
Svar #5

Heather Shepard

Hi Sari,
That really helped.  Thank you.  What does Torp mean?  Also, is there another last name after Jon Persson?  I didn't know what that was either.  I think Gunnarskog is a city.  Are Froskog and Abborrtjarn cities or parishes?  I'm confused.  Thanks!

2005-02-05, 19:36
Svar #6

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Heather and Sara!

Thanks Sara for the help and Heather - we are all happy to try to help. And even if I am quite new myself in this interesting hobby I learn quite a lot from helping others. As you may know we have a online-service offering scanned church-books on Internet - Genline.com - and that really helps a lot.
The birth-record for Ida does not give a good clue where to loook for the young family. Often the birthplace/village is mentioned but not here.
A good help to decipher swedish you have here:
http://www.slaktdata.org/en/lexikon#a

For Värmland there are more possibilities since I live in Karlstad - the capitol of the county Värmland, and all scanned church records are available as micro-fiche at the library and at the Archive-centre. We also have the Kinship Centre in Karlstad - another way to trace your family from emigrant records.
http://www.emigrantregistret.s.se/frameset-en.htm
There is also CDs with emigrant data - if someone reads your query above they may be able to check!

Best Regards,

Olle

If you want I can try to trace the maternal side - follow Inga Karin's ancestry - Anders Jonsson and Ingeged Andersdotter. As you can see we are already back in the 18th century with Ingjerd.

2005-02-05, 19:50
Svar #7

Utloggad Kristina Gunnarsdotter

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6194
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-21, 11:59
    • Visa profil
Ingierd is the name of Inga Cajsa's mother. And I think that (grandma?) Karin's name is Isacsdotter.
But is the birth record of Ida the right one? It seems that she is born 1833.

2005-02-05, 20:29
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I withdraw m last remark. 33 is of course the serial number.

2005-02-05, 20:44
Svar #9

Heather Shepard

Thanks Olle and Kristina.  I really appreciate the help.
I would be so grateful for any help tracing Inga Cajsa's line.  I would like to try and find Inga with her husband and children first, just to be sure that I have the correct family.  I'm learning that with such commons names it can be difficult making sure which ancestor is mine.

Inga's birth date of 24 May 1839 is correct.  Also, I have a marriage certificate for Inga's second husband that recorded her maiden name as Inga Carrie Anderson.  So the Anderson would fit if her father was Anders Jonsson as well.  

However, as Kristina mentioned, Ida Margaret Johnson was born 3 March 1864 Varmland, Sweden.  Is the record above for 1833?

Thanks again to everyone.  I am eager to learn all I can.

2005-02-05, 20:48
Svar #10

Heather Shepard

I have a few newspaper articles that mentioned Edward and Ida's father as Nels Anders Johnson.  Do you think he could have went by either Per or Nels?

2005-02-05, 21:26
Svar #11

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Heather!

Todays last contribution.

Yes the birth record is correct the 33 is child No 33 born in 1864:

As you can see the name of Ida's father is definitely Per Jansson so Per Johnson would be an english version.

Gunnarskog is a parish and Aborrtjärn a farm under Fröskog e.g. a larger section within Gunnarskog.

Here you have part of Id's family tree:

Regards,

Olle

2005-02-05, 21:39
Svar #12

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Ida's birth record states that Inga Kajsa comes from Treskog which is in Gunnarsskog parish. In Inga Cajsa's birth record it is spelled Träskog.
Fröskog is a parish in Dalsland.

Note that all given namnes usually are mentioned in the birth records, so one would expect Ida Margaret(a), not only Ida.

Per and Nels (Sw. Nils) are two different names.

2005-02-05, 21:59
Svar #13

Heather Shepard

Olle,
That is absolutely amazing!  I don't know how you found everything so quickly.  Thank you for teaching me along the way.  What does the V. stand for under Karin Isaksdotter?  
Thank you,
Heather

2005-02-05, 22:10
Svar #14

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Kristina (and Heather)!

Oops - yes when I seached for Fröskog on Google I found out excactly what you say... So I said above - I learn a lot from these excercises. Moving from Gunnarsnäs parish in Dalsland county some 20 years ago I still have a lot to learn about beautiful Värmland.

And Heather - it really would be nice to get hold of data for Per Jansson. It's really a blank page.

Good night to all

2005-02-05, 22:17
Svar #15

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
V = Västra = West. The name of the place is Västra Kymmen.

2005-02-05, 22:21
Svar #16

Heather Shepard

Kristina,
Thank you.  Do you think that Ida may have been given the middle name of Margaret when she immigrated?  Each of the names I mentioned were given to me by their descendants here in America.  I only have the stories that were passed down through the generations.  No one seems to really know what their names were exactly in Sweden.  That's why I have been so confused with Edward.  He was called Eddie by his family, and used the name Edward on his first marriage certificate.  After that however, he always used the name Andrew on any document.  I have not been able to learn if his given name was really Edward or Andrew or something else all together.  This family has been a challenge for me with such common names.  I have a difficult time trying to determine who is really my ancestor and not just another individual with a simialar name.  Also I know nothing of the customs in Sweden.  Were Saint names used in Sweden?
Thanks for the help,
Heather

2005-02-05, 22:26
Svar #17

Utloggad Sari Wilhelmsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1147
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-03-13, 21:21
    • Visa profil
Kristina, thank you for corecting my misspellings. I've tried to see what Jon Perssons third name says, could anyone else read it?

Regards, Sari

2005-02-05, 22:33
Svar #18

Heather Shepard

Kristina and Olle,
Thank you.  
Really the only thing I know about Ida's father is that he died when she and Edward were children in Varmland, Sweden.  I believe that would have been between the years of 1866 and 1870.  (I think Ida and Inga immigrated around the year of 1870.)  
I don't know what Swedish death records are like, but here there is usually a birth date and place, spouse's name, and parents name.  Of course they are only as accurate as the informant.  
Maybe it would be better to find a census record for the family to help narrow down the years.  What do you think?  I don't know anything of Swedish census records.
Thanks,  
Heather

2005-02-05, 22:49
Svar #19

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sari & Heather!

A very nice correspondance tonight - and Sari - I wrote the third name above Hem. Egare = Hemmansägare.

And I will look for PEr Jansson - sometimes you get lucky!

Olle

2005-02-06, 00:07
Svar #20

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Jon Perssons third namne (or is it a place?): could it be Årfält?

Maybe Ida choosed a new namne for herself when she emigrated.

Torpare means crofter.

There is a lot to read about Swedish names in Roots, the  English version of Rötter.

There seems to be a little mix up with the names. Heather thought that (Nels)Anders Jonsson was Ida's father, but Anders Jonsson is Inga Kajsa's father. And Heather's presumed father Nels Anders Jonsson has the same names as Ida's brother Anders Nels Jonsson. And why do they all have the name Jo(h)nsson?

Olle will probably solve this.  Did you find Ida's family in the Husförhörslängd?

2005-02-06, 10:31
Svar #21

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Kristina adn others!

Thanks for straightening up some of my vague explanations. Swedish names are confusing with so many 'sons'. I have found hundreds of Olof Anderssons - my own name.

I also saw the Årfält and did not realize its an additional surname. Jon Persson was given the title Fältjägare in the Anders' birth record (GID 488.25.20300 No 40) thus enrolled in the Värmlands fältjägareregemente, a regiment set up to defend the border to Norway. So Årfält could be a soldier's name.  

And Ida's family still to be found. I did look for  the marriage record for her parents as well as birth record for her younger brother, but sofar no luck. The last hit was before Inga Cajsa got married - household records 1856-1860 (GID 488.23.66900) the family resides at Elofstorpet Stora Tenhöjden, Träskog.

2005-02-06, 12:37
Svar #22

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
The family was:
Nils Jönsson  b. 1842-04-25 Gräsmark
Inga Cajsa Andersdotter b. 1839-05-24 Gunnarskog
daughter Ida Persdotter b. 1864-03-03 Elofstorpet, Gunnarskog
son Anders Nilsson b. 1866-08-06 Elofstorpet, Gunnarskog
son Nils Johan Nilsson b. 1869-02-22 Elofstorpet, Gunnarskog

They left for the United States 1870-06-03.

Father of Ida was Per Jansson, hemmansägare.
Father of the other two children was Nils Jönsson.
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2005-02-06, 14:32
Svar #23

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Brattis!

Thanks on behalf of Heather. Interesting to know how you found this data - did you find household records or used some database? - eager to learn.

Olle in Karlstad/Alster

2005-02-06, 16:32
Svar #24

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Heather and helpers!

Thanks to Sven-Ove I found some more information on Ida's family.

Household records 1866-1870 (GID 488.39.65800
shows the family at emigration. It seems all went in 1870.

Stepping even earlier 1861-1865 - (GID 488.32.46500) this record gives some interesting details.
Nils Jonsson and Inga Kajsa were married Dec 27 1863.  

Since Ida was born March 3rd 1864 and birth record gives another father than Nils you wonder why!

Remarks says something about a 2nd marriage and I believe this note is for Inga Kajsa. The remarks are difficult to read. Something about Borgsjö parish Medelpad (Västernorrland). Perhaps Inga Kajsa went there, met Ida's father and due to some circumstances came back to become Nils' wife.  

I will ask others to decipher.

The search goes on!

Regards

Olle

2005-02-06, 18:10
Svar #25

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
The remarks states that Nils Jönsson were working in Borgsjö 1862 and in the beginning of 1863. 1863 he was considered not fit for military service for some reason not given in these remarks. He then returned to Gunnarskog, where he married Inga Cajsa.
The fathers name in the birth note for Ida may be incorrect, or she carried an other mans child when she married Nils. There was a farmowner Per Jansson who died 1863, but he was 72 years old.

Regards    Sven-Ove
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2005-02-06, 20:46
Svar #26

Heather Shepard

Wow!  I am speechless.  I don't even know where to begin.  Thank you to everyone.
I wonder if Nils Jonnson was ill if he was not fit for military service?  Also, according to family stories here, Nils passed away before they immigrated.  I had also wondered if Inga had more children than Ida and Anders in Sweden.  On two of Inga Cajsa's census records in America she was recorded as having one or two more children than we had record of.  Now this Nils Johan Nilsson would explain why.  I wonder if NIls Johan Nilsson passed away in infancy,or if he was left behind as well?  According to family stories anyway, only Inga Cajsa, Ida, and Anders came to America.  Anders coming later with distant relatives.
I am very curious about Ida possibly having another father as well.  I had never heard that before, but perhaps it was something that Inga Cajsa didn't want passed on.
Is Elofstorpet a village or farm within the parish Gunnarskog?  I am still trying to learn how the places are broken up.
The last name of Johnson I kept mentioning must have been what they chose to use in America.  Do you think the family may have chosen to pick a family name after Nils last name of Jonsson, and then Americanized it to Johnson?  
Last night I kept thinking of the age of Ingierd Andersdr when she had Maria (30) and Inga Cajsa (40).  Do you think she may have been married before?
I hope I haven't asked too many questions.  I am so excited about all of this information.  Thank you all so very much.  
Thanks,  
Heather

2005-02-06, 23:09
Svar #27

Heather Shepard

Sven-Ove,
I found a birth record for a Nils Jonsson born 25 Apr 1842 Grasmark, Varmland, Sweden with parents of Jons Jonsson and Kerstin Nilsdr.  I'm not sure if this is the same man that married Inga Cajsa Andersdotter or another man with the same name and birth date.  Did the records you found have Nils's parents listed?
Thanks,
Heather

2005-02-07, 17:29
Svar #28

Heather Shepard

Olle,
I was going through all of this information again last night and had a couple more questions.  On the family record for Inga Cajsa's birth that you sent above, I didn't understand what the birth day and year were for the daughter Maria.  Thanks for the advice of other places to search.  I have been scared to try and look at records in Swedish until I learn a little more about the records and reading the Swedish language.  If I would have found those records you sent on my own, I would have understood very little.  But I am learning from you all and am trying to understand all that you teach me.  I was also wondering if in your research you discovered if Maria ever married?  Thanks again for all of your help.
Heather

2005-02-11, 10:40
Svar #29

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Heather!

Just back after some days in Finland.

Not sure about your question re Maria.
I will check a bit more when I visit the library today or tomorrow. There may be some clues as to the first marriage and about Ida's father.

I'll let you know.

Regards,

Olle

2005-02-12, 02:46
Svar #30

Heather Shepard

Olle,
I hope you had a wonderful time in Finland!  Thanks for answering back.  On the household record at Inga Cajsa's birth I couldn't read the birthdate for Maria Ersdr her half-sister.  It looked like 2? Jun 1829.  I didn't know the date or if the month was May or June.  Thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate it.
Thanks, Heather

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna