ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Can you find a birth parish using a birthdate?  (läst 1813 gånger)

2003-09-12, 15:51
läst 1813 gånger

donna

Is it possible to find a person by having their birthdate & county of birth? I would like to find out more on my family, but don't know how to find his birth parish.  

Here is what I have:

Daniel Ros: 14/5/1774 Skaraborg

Married to Elin Svensdotter: 19/4/1783

I have found them in Sätila after 1805-08. Prior to this he was in Stralsand (Germany) as he was a soldier. Also, he was in the army of the Gothenburg Squadron 12 years before serving in Sätila.

If it is possible to find his birth parish in Skaraborg, I would appreciate a look up.

Thank you,
Donna

2003-09-12, 18:18
Svar #1

Anders Andersson

I'm afraid there is no simple solution to your problem, as I'm not aware of any searchable database covering the entire population of Sweden or even a single county such as Skaraborg before 1890 (such databases may appear in the future, as earlier records are being transcribed into machine-readable form).

However, some systematic detective work may eventually lead to a solution. If you have traced Daniel Ros and Elin Svensdotter in the household examination records from 1805-08 until their death and not found a single indication of where they were born (I suggest checking their death records as well), examine the lists of witnesses to the baptisms of their children (I assume here that Daniel and Elin did have children, or at least one child).

It used to be a tradition to invite siblings of the parents for the baptism of a newborn child, at least if they lived nearby.

Daniel Ros may pose a problem here, unless you know his patronymic name as well, but at least you have the patronymic of his wife Elin (assuming you need to find her birthplace as well). Look for witnesses named Svensson or Svensdotter, as some of them may be brothers or sisters of Elin. Trace each of them backward and forward in time, but beware that they may be unrelated in spite of a matching patronymic. If you are certain that you have found a sibling, but still without a birthplace, check any children of that sibling for additional baptism witnesses, and so on until you have established as much as possible of the family.

In the case of soldiers, there may be additional leads to be found in the military records, many of which have been transcribed into machine-readable form.

Please use your full name as a username when posting on Anbytarforum.  There are so many genealogists in the world, that it's not sufficient to tell them all apart by first name only. ;-)

2003-09-12, 21:22
Svar #2

Anders Andersson

Do you know when and where Daniel and Elin were married? The marriage notice may also provide useful leads.

2003-09-13, 03:55
Svar #3

Donna Johnson

Dear Anders,

Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately, I have tried everything that I can (all of the above mentioned)& used this forum as a last ?chance to help find them. There was no marriage date either. Sätila has scant information located in thier records. :-(
There is no other information of where they came from prior to Sätila other than Stralsand. There does not appear to be any other family members associated with them perhaps due to that Daniel was in the service.  
Perhaps THE only way to find them will be via military records,(which I have some data from a book Mark's Kompanis indelta soldater, Kungl Ålvsboggs Regemente Karl Engström, 1997). I had a querie on the indelta soldier (Yerke) page & received this data, however, it only said that Daniel was from Skaraborg.  
I have been directed to a few soldier's pages, however, perhaps due to the lack of being able to understand Swedish, I may not have entered correct data & etc. where I should have.  ;-) I do have a couple of e-mail addresses that I guess will be my next method of researching for Daniel Ros.
Thank you again for your help & kindness.

Sincerely,
Donna Johnson

2003-09-13, 12:01
Svar #4

Anna-Carin Betzén

Donna,  
The index of the Central Register of Soldiers states that it has a file on Daniel, though of course we don't know what it contains. It may be just the information you already have, or it may contain additional data. The fee for a copy of the file is SEK 20 plus postage (i.e. a total of about $3).

If you'd like to, I can order the file and have it sent to me, and then email you a translation of its contents. You could then compensate my expenses in USD. How about it?

2003-09-13, 12:26
Svar #5

Anna-Carin Betzén

Silly me, I don't know what I was thinking.  Of course there's no reason at all to ask for compensation for an expense that small. So, I'd be happy to help you out at no cost if you just let me know if you're interested.

2003-09-13, 13:27
Svar #6

Donna Johnson

Dear Anna-Carin,

Thank you! This is so wonderful! Even if this just has the data I already have, it would still be interesting to have the original file on Daniel!
I will e-mail you at your address.

Sincerely,
Donna

2003-09-13, 14:12
Svar #7

Lotta Nordin (Lotta)

Hi Donna!

Daniel Ros and his wife did not come from Stralsund to Sätila. The household record AI:3 1801-1808 page 89 states that he was uti=in Stralsund, and his fiancé, not wife Elin Svensdotter lived at the soldiers croft in Sätila. Their first child Magnus was born in 1808. Daniel probably participated in a military mission in Stralsund at that time.

In the next household record, AI:4 1808-1814 page 55, Elin is called hustru=wife, so they probably married in Sätila. The marriage records are not scanned by Genline yet, so I can’t check them for you, but if you place a question under Landskap/Västergötland/Sätila maybe someone has the possibility to help you. In this record they also have son number two, Sven, born 1812 March 30.

In AI:7 1826-1829 page 151 Daniel Ros is no longer a soldier and the record states that he has a pension. That is another possibility to find out more about him, to check the pension lists.

Here is a copy of AI:6 1820-1826 page XXX

and here are the daugthers from page XXX
:

If you write a question about the family under Sätila you can referr to this discussion so that anyone that might be able to help you can get all the information that is already known.

Best regards
Lotta

2003-09-13, 18:44
Svar #8

Donna Johnson

Lotta,

Thank you for your help. I have access to Genline, however, I couldn't translate anything other than the names! I have received data from the Sätila board, however nothing on Daniel Ros. I am glad to know that there are still more records that need to be scanned still! That means there is still hope yet!  :-)

Sincerely,
Donna

2009-09-26, 18:38
Svar #9

Utloggad Lee Himan

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 46
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-06-27, 22:06
    • Visa profil
The following information is all that I currently have about a relative who was born in Sweden.  Is it possible to determine his birthplace and the names of his parents and siblings based on the following?

Gust Peterson was born November 2, 1841 in Sweden.  

Family oral history states that, as young men, he and Aaron Hogman worked on a variety of public works in Sweden and in Norway prior to emigrating in 1868.  

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but as a teenager and young man Aaron Hogman worked in following parishes in Vastergotland - Tisselskog, Skedsmo and Undenas.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Sincerely,

Lee Himan

2009-09-26, 19:40
Svar #10

Utloggad Bo Nordenfors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5383
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 14:38
    • Visa profil
Perhaps this is the Aron Högman you mentioned:

Post 639418

Högman, Aron
Bonde (unmarried man)

b. 5/2/1838 in Dalskog, Älvsborgs län (Dalsland)

Emigrated 7/26/1906
from Spethult Skattegården, Ransberg, Skaraborgs län (Västergötland)
to Amerika

Source: Pastorsexp; Household Examination Roll, vol. Ransberg AIIa:, p. 449; Migration Roll, vol. Ransberg BII:

Emibas migration file ID: Ransberg R 1906 010

2009-09-26, 20:06
Svar #11

Utloggad Bo Nordenfors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pure guesswork --- DOB differs a lot. However, rather common to go via Norway to USA from this area.

Post 594550

Petersson, Gustaf
Man

b. 10/6/1841 in Brålanda, Älvsborgs län (Dalsland)

Emigrated 11/22/1867
from Sallebyn, Sundals-Ryr, Älvsborgs län (Dalsland)
to Norge = Norway

Source: Emibas migration file ID: Sundals-Ryr P 1867 007

(Meddelandet ändrat av rannug 2009-09-26 20:06)

2009-09-26, 20:29
Svar #12

Utloggad Lee Himan

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you Bo Nordenfors.  Your information is much appreciated and will hopefully lead to completing the background history of Gust Peterson.

Sincerely,

Lee Himan

2009-09-26, 23:18
Svar #13

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
When Aron Högman leaves Gothenburg Aug 8 1906, for Fort Dodge in Ia is he registrered as going with Anna Högman, 38 years and from the same parish. They have source code 81:337:1540 in Emigranten

2009-09-27, 08:20
Svar #14

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
Lee,
Where in the US did he settle? If he could be found in some US Federal Census there might be a possibility of verifying the information you have got. Might be able to backtrack him.

2009-09-27, 10:08
Svar #15

Utloggad Magnus Persson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 139
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-23, 15:26
    • Visa profil
How about this one? Both the names and the DOB is fairly close.

Post 542705

Andersson Pettersson, Johan Gustaf
Hemmason (ogift man)

f. 12/11 1841 i Bergstena, Älvsborgs län (Västergötland)

Utvandrad 12/3 1869
från Tokatorp, Bergstena, Älvsborgs län (Västergötland)
till Amerika

Källa: Husförhörslängd, s. 37

Emibas emigrationsakt: Bergstena P 1869 001

2009-09-28, 03:18
Svar #16

Utloggad Lee Himan

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Mats, Karin, & Magnus:  
I have the basic information regarding Aaron Högman and probably should not have entered his name into a search regarding Gust Peterson (b.November 2, 1841).  However, our family's oral history indicates that they did work together in Sweden and in Norway on a variety of public works projects prior to their emigration in 1868.  I listed the parishes where Aaron worked, before emigrating, thinking that Gust Peterson's name might appear in records in Tisselskog, Skedsmo, or Undenäs,also. For example, there was a certificate of Holy Communion from Skedsmo in 1860 that gave Aaron's name; so I thought by chance there might be such a record for Gust Peterson in one of those parishes as well.  I realize that my information is sketchy, but thought I should try.  

Gust Peterson and Aaron arrived in Illinois in 1868, married in 1869, applied for citizenship, and acquired homesteading property in Iowa. They began homesteading in Section 2, Bellville Township, Pocahontas County, Iowa in the early 1870s.  However, the 1880 U.S. Census provides only the country of birth.

Gust Peterson's gravestone gives his birth date as November 2, 1841 and a death date of August 27, 1900.

Thank you for your efforts.

Sincerely,

Lee Himan

2009-09-28, 21:09
Svar #17

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Lee
Have you found Aron and Gust's arrival in 1868?

2009-09-28, 23:24
Svar #18

Utloggad Bo Nordenfors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Just for information:
Aron Hogman has been discussed here:  

2009-09-28, 23:25
Svar #19

Utloggad Bo Nordenfors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil

2009-09-29, 03:54
Svar #20

Utloggad Lee Himan

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Bo and Mats,

There is another relative here in the United States, who has been attempting to backtrack what we know of Gust Peterson (b. November 2, 1841). However, he has had no luck finding anything in existing records here that would give a clue as to Gust's place of birth.  

We believe that Gust and Aaron would have entered the United States by way of the Port of Chicago in 1868, but again that information is only supported by our family's oral history.  

Is there a source, that would give passenger lists from Norway that I might try?

Many thanks again for your attempts to help determine the unknown birth parish!

2009-09-30, 00:06
Svar #21

Utloggad Annica Pettersson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 88
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-01-02, 17:07
    • Visa profil
I've got AD Online and there I found the marriage!

Sätila C:5 picture(=bild) 260/ page(=sid)535
Year 1807. Marriages. December 8 The soldier Daniel Roos from Ramhulta and the maid Elin Svensdotter from the same place.

The surchable database DIS: The central soldier register gives the following:
Document number: ÄR-00-0220-1806

Ros, Daniel
  Born:    1774-05-14
  Died:    1833-03-07

Wife:    Svensdotter Elin
  Born:    1783-04-19

Regiment:    Älvsborgs regemente
  Company:    MARKS KOMPANI
  Parish:    Sätila
  File:    Håkankila Skattegården  

When someone died it was stipulated in the law that everything that the dead one own should be writed down and registerd. Most of this records are able to find. To be able to find these records easier register have been done. For Your Daniel the register Marks häradsrätt BouReg:1: bild 341/sid 342 says that You can find his bouppteckning (= registration of the item he left) in 1837 B47:321 and 1837:1387 (Ros, Daniel, soldier (Sätila) Ramhulta)

Marks häradsrätt FII:46b:bild 273/sid 1387:

Ex hib at summer meeting 1837

Year 1837 March 2nd Bouppteckning was done after the former soldier Daniel Ros from Ramhult who by death lost his life some year back and left the widow Elin Svensdoter and eight children behind, the sons Magnus 28 years, Sven 24 years, Erick 21 years (grownup), Carl Petter 17 years, Adolph 11 years, [and daughters]Anna 22 years, Sara 15 years, Christina 6 years (underaged). To see to their rights Anders Andersson in Fästkulla was proposed. The widow said under the Bible that everything hade been written down in the order that will follow....

Sorry I will have to stop now but it's over midnight and I'll have to work tomorrow (read today) and the day after that. As soon as possible I will continue if no one else have done it. That time I will use a vocabulary so I can get the rigth words with right spelling.

Yours
Annica

2009-09-30, 06:36
Svar #22

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Annika, Donna's query is from 2003 and she has done some more research (and has had a lot of help over the years) - if you type Daniel Roos in the search feature of Anbytarforum to the left (in the top search field) you'll see some of them.

I think this might be the latest compilation of what Donna knows:
Anbytarforum » Discussions in English » General questions » Confused & starting over again; need help with geography and military please. - execpt for a mistake about the date of his death which is corrected by someone else in that discussion. The estate inventory seems to be new information though.

However, the time before 1806 back to his place of birth seems to be a mystery still.

med vänliga hälsningar,
Eva

(Meddelandet ändrat av edah 2009-09-30 07:08)

2009-10-02, 22:33
Svar #23

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Lee
I don't think this part of Aron Högman has been discussed earlier.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957  
about Aul Hogman  
Name: Aul Hogman  
Arrival Date: 29 May 1868  
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838  
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland  
Destination: United States of America  
Place of Origin: Sweden  
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Swedish  
Ship Name: City of Limerick  
Search Ship Database: Search the City of Limerick in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database  
Port of Arrival: New York  
Line: 47  
Microfilm Serial: M237  
Microfilm Roll: M237_295  
List Number: 522  
Port Arrival State: New York  
Port Arrival Country: United States  

There are several Gustaf on the same ship, one is on the line below this Hogman (and it might be Axel, nor Aron)but his family name looks lika Homgren/Holmgren or similar. His age is 28 at arrival

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna