ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Graves in Sweden  (läst 1150 gånger)

2008-06-13, 13:49
läst 1150 gånger

Utloggad Thomas Hjelm

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 9
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-01-28, 20:50
    • Visa profil
Hello, I'm taking a trip to Sweden next month and I thought it would be cool to find some ancestors' graves.  Is this possible?  What are/were Swedish burial customs?  Is it easy to find where a person (say a 19th century person) was buried?  Are graves marked with tombstones bearing the dead person's name/dates?  If so, how would I go about finding where a person was buried?  I have death dates and places for a few of my ancestors.  What's the next step?

Thanks!
Thomas Hjelm

2008-06-13, 17:02
Svar #1

Utloggad Claes-Göran Magnusson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3788
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-08-04, 20:16
    • Visa profil
    • animskog.se
I think you rarely would find a tombstone for a common person buried in the first half of the 19th Century. There are some registers online (Hitta graven) for Stockholm and Gothenburg. There are also a database on genealogy.se - Gravsten-Sök
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. - Homer Simpson

2008-06-13, 19:50
Svar #2

Utloggad Britt Börjesson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 396
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-08-30, 20:33
    • Visa profil
Hi Thomas,
even if you will not be able to identify the exact spot of certain graves, the good thing about the monopoly church system is that you can be sure which cemetary your ancestors were buried in. Another good thing coming from the recycling of grave sites is that swedish cemetaries are well kept, beautiful places, around beautiful churches, and worth a visit.
Welcome to Sweden, I hope you will have a nice time here.
Britt

2008-06-13, 19:56
Svar #3

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Thomas, if it is 19th century people you are looking for, and you have the parish of death, then you can be fairly certain that they were buried in the cemetery that surrounds the parish church. There might not be a stone, but a visit to the church, which quite often is the same building as in their time, can be a very good experience.

2008-06-18, 13:13
Svar #4

Utloggad Thomas Hjelm

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks for the help everybody.  As far as parish churches, which level is the parish?  For example if my ancestor died in Västmanland, Skultuna, Nackby, is the parish Skultuna or Nackby?  Which church should I look for?

2008-06-18, 13:25
Svar #5

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 777
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-10, 19:22
    • Visa profil
The parish (and church) is Skultuna. Nackby is a village in that parish.

2008-06-18, 15:10
Svar #6

Utloggad Marianne Kindgren

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-04, 15:14
    • Visa profil
    • www.roxnas.net
Hi Thomas!

There is no parish called Skultuna today. Instead you could contact Norrbo parish in Skultuna, email: norrbo.forsamling@svenskakyrkan.se  
Tel: +46 21 767 70
Address: Karl IX:s väg 4, 730 50 Skultuna
They maybe have a register of all graves, even if there are no stones left.

And here is the official website of the Swedish Church with all the current parishes Svenska Kyrkan

/Marianne K

2008-06-18, 17:00
Svar #7

Utloggad Thomas Hjelm

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks Lars.  BTW, do you think it would be worthwhile to visit the village (Nackby in this case)?  Is it possible to find the farm/house that my great great great great grandfather lived in?  Or is it just too long ago?

@Marianne K:  Thanks for the information!  I've sent them an email asking about the old parish church and grave records!  Everyone on this forum is such a great help!  I can't wait to visit Sweden and see the land with my own eyes.

(Meddelandet ändrat av tummai den 18 juni, 2008)

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna