ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Gustaf Johansson  (läst 553 gånger)

2008-07-14, 23:28
läst 553 gånger

Utloggad Patricia Bozman

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 19
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-03-14, 18:04
    • Visa profil
I am trying to find more information about my great-grandfather Gustaf Johansson. I have only found one record of him in Sweden, the 1890 census of Offerdals parish, where he is listed with his wife Agnes and his children John [incorrect year of birth given for him] and Anna. Gustaf was born in Stafnäs Vernlamd in 1857 [although in the many North American censuses I have found him in his birthdate varies from 1854 to 1860, 1857 appears to be the most likely]. He had at least two brothers, one named Sigurd and one named Axel [18 April 1866 parish unknown-December 1943 Manitoba Canada]. Gustaf married Agnes Andersdotter Grönlund in Kall in 1887. They emigrated to the United States in the summer of 1891 with their two children John and Anna. In 1905 they moved to Canada and I have been able to find many records of them here in North America. But Gustaf's life before 1887 is a mystery to me. Does anyone have any leads or suggestions for me? I would like to fill out that branch of my family tree. Thank you!

2008-07-15, 03:33
Svar #1

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
In the household register for Undersåker in 1889 these dates are given för the family:
Gustaf b 12 Aug 1857, Stavnäs
Anna, wife 27 April 1869, Kall
Johan Adolf b 5 Feb 1888, Kall
Anna b 9 Aug 1889, Undersåker

Looking in the birth book for Stavnäs, I cannot find any Gustaf born 12 August, but there is one born 12 September 1857, son of inhyses (person renting a house or part of it) Johan Persson and wife Anna Jonasdotter at Svanickeboda. In the household census (Stavnäs AI:19, p 289) the family is listed:

Johan Persson 28 Dec 1822, (all are born in Stavnäs)
Anna Jonasdotter 23 Sept 1822
Christina 14 Dec 1850
Carl August 27 June 1853
Johan 6 Sept 1855, dead 17 Feb 1856
Gustaf 12 Sept 1857

I belive this is the right family, they move to Brunflo in Jämtland 1858. The place Linehäll is mentioned here, but there is no immigration book for Brunflo in 1858. However, I find them in the census of 1860 (only available for Jämtland):
Johan Persson is a stattorpare (gets a small cottage and some land in exchange for work at a larger farm), they have one more son born 6 May 1860. Here Gustaf´s date of birth has been changed to 12 August 1857! A misprint in the books!

In the 1880 census Johan Persson and family, now with only younger children live at Haga in Lockne parish in Jämtland. They have daughter Hilma Maria b 1862 in Lockne and son Axel Otto born 1866 in Brunflo. (Dates and places should be checked).

The household census shows that the son born in 1860 (Erik Wilhelm?) has become a soldier.  

Gustaf is now working as a farm hand in Lockne, at Haxäng farm. He came there in 1880 and leaves in 1883 to move to Offerdal. His date of birth is given as 12 Aug 1857 here too.

2008-07-15, 05:48
Svar #2

Utloggad Patricia Bozman

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 19
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-03-14, 18:04
    • Visa profil
Thank you! That is my great grandfather! His wife and children are correct, and the birthdate for the son Johan is correct, but it is wrong in the 1890 census. His wife is called both Anna and Agnes in other records. You found the information so quickly.I am amazed at the available information and envious of people who know how to access it. It is interesting that Gustaf had a sister named Hilma Maria, as that is the name given to his daughter, my grandmother, born in 1891. And in an interesting coincidence, my birthday is August 12, the same as my great grandfather. The son that became a soldier is mentioned in oral family history, but with no name given. The birthdate for Axel Otto matches the date given by his great grandson, who had little other information about his great grandfather, so that is an independent verification I think.  Thank you so much for this information. I'm off to share it with my siblings!!

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna