ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Larson, Oberg, Berg  (läst 1014 gånger)

2007-05-15, 21:19
läst 1014 gånger

Utloggad Heidi Loukides

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 4
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-05-16, 03:46
    • Visa profil
Birth and Marriage records needed to begin my search.Info I have is John Oberg born near 1886 and Hilda/ Hildur Larson born near 1885 both born in Sweden. MAY HAVE MIGRATED IN 1903. Lived in Kanabec, Whitedtownship, Minnesota and had 6 children between 1909 & 1921. Lenia/Linnea J.,Viola G., Reinold, Raynar, Tencia/Tense E.& My father Fritchof Olaf Oberg b.4-19-1921 d. 1986.I was given Berg for my last name.  Any info or links would be greatly appriciated

2007-05-16, 07:01
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Did he ever live in a place called Quamba in Kanabec county in Minnesota? A man named John Oberg with a wife Hilda lived there on 12 September 1918. His birthdate was 5 March 1886, according to the World War I Draft Registrations on the Ancestry.com site. He was a produce merchant, had blue eyes and brown hair, etc.

I suppose his last name was spelled Åberg or perhaps Öberg in Sweden, but there is little to distinguish your John (perhaps Johan or Johannes or Jan or Jon or Jöns etc. in Sweden, and he may well have used other given names in addition to John). When did yours emigrate? There is a column for a year of immigration on the U.S. Federal Censuses for 1900-1910-1920-1930. Check all of those censuses. I know you said 1903 but maybe it was a year or so earlier or later than that.  

He most likely was naturalized after the time period (late 1906) when the naturalization forms were standardized across the country. If so, his birthplace, birthdate, port of departure, name of ship, port of entry, date of entry, etc. would be listed. If he had been married to Hilda when he naturalized, the same sort of information was probably listed for her.

The NARA (National Archives and Records Administration) regional archive in Chicago has at least some naturalization records for Minnesota, but they are not online.

http://www.archives.gov/great-lakes/chicago/finding-aids/naturalization-records.html

Ship manifests became much more helpful in that time period, so obtain his (perhaps online but often just on microfilm) to see if he had good information on his.

Many of our Swedes emigrated with a patronymic (son/dotter) name and only later changed to a surname. Here is a maybe for John from the Emibas CD, made from registrations in the Swedish parish before going to a foreign country. Emibas is only about 75% complete, and probably even less complete for records as late as 1903.

Post 159544

Johansson, Johan Henning
Dräng (unmarried man)

b. 3/5/1886 in Fröderyd, Jönköpings län (Småland)

Emigrated 3/11/1903
from Flathult, Fröderyd, Jönköpings län (Småland)
to Nordamerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 52

Emibas migration file ID: Fröderyd F 1903 014

(Dräng = farmhand.)

There is not enough information yet to definitively say if that man is yours or not.

If you have ordered his Social Security application, you would know his birthdate, perhaps his birthplace and probably his parents, including his mother's maiden name. I don't see him on the Social Security Death Index (which mostly has names from the mid to late 1960s and later) but if you can find his Social Security number on a death certificate, you can order the application. (It costs $27.)

It may be best to use the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center. They have fantastic records but those records are not online.

http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/

Judy

2007-05-18, 04:49
Svar #2

Heidi Berg Loukides

Thank you for so much info & links! Yes my John Oberg lived in Quamba, Kanabec County, Minnesota. It is where all their children were born between 1909-1921. Is there a city of registration on the World War I reg. card. Is the Swedish name you listed Johan Henning Johansson Oberg the complete name? I was told Hilda (Larson) Oberg died of cancer and John Oberg commited suicide, is there any other places or ways people were listed after such a death if true? Thanks so much for your time!!!

2007-05-18, 18:02
Svar #3

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Heidi,

He was only listed as John Oberg on the registration form, but his birthdate matches the Johan Henning Johansson on Emibas. (I took the birthdate from the registration form in Kanabec County and then checked for anyone who might fit on the Emibas database.)  

The name on Emibas is probably his full Swedish name (without his surname, which was apparently adopted later. Remember I am guessing the man on Emibas might be the right man.) but you would need to check the Swedish parish records and U.S. records to be sure the man leaving Sweden and the man found in Kanabec County is the same man.

I will try to send you a link to the World War I Draft Registration on Ancestry.com. There is a share feature.

The registration record was stamped Local Board for the County of Kanabec, State of Minnesota, Mora, Minnesota. His address was Quamba, Kanabec, Minnesota.

I would assume the cause of death was listed on the death certificate. I would also assume that a suicide would require a coroner's report, so that would be an additional record to check into for John. I have no familarity with records in Minnesota.

There may be newspaper articles about the suicide but don't be surprised if the suicide was hushed up.

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna