ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Långholmens  (läst 815 gånger)

2005-03-12, 03:12
läst 815 gånger

Utloggad Karen Norwillo

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 264
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-13, 20:56
    • Visa profil
Can anyone give me information regarding this prison and the major reasons a woman might be sent there in the 1880's? Why did they call it a spinning house? I found limited info online in English.

2005-03-12, 16:56
Svar #1

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Karen!

There is some historic information here:

http://www.langholmen.com/

(English section >> Museum)

2005-03-12, 17:25
Svar #2

Utloggad Allan Hansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 219
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-11-24, 12:21
    • Visa profil
Karen, are you sure about the 1880's? The Långholmen spinning house was transformed into a prison, exclusively for men, in 1825, and there were no female prisoners there in the 1880's. The Långholmen spinning house was established 1724, and a couple of hundred persons were spinning wool there (and preparing fresh wool for spinning). It was both a prison and a forced labour institution. At that time a person could be arrested and sent to a correction institution like Långholmen for vagrancy, i.e. if he or she was poor and unemployed, or if someone had escaped from an employment. There were a lot of other reasons too - loose living, drunkenness and disordered living, begging (mostly disabled old people, but also children from the age of nine). There are examples of noblemen, who sent their servants there, if they were considered lazy.  

The vagrants at Långholmen were both male and female. But since there was no prison for women in Sweden, also female criminals were serving their sentences there. There were many cases of unmarried women, who had given birth to a child, which she had killed. Another crime was theft, and there are other, more rare examples. A number of women were religious dissidents (which was a crime, since there were no freedom of religion at all). There was also a noblewomen, who had plotted against the government, but she was very privileged and did not have to spin.

The term “spinnhus” was synonymous to woman prison long after the spinning labour had disappeared.  

I have compiled this information from a book by Gunnar Rudstedt: Långholmen. Spinnhuset och fängelset under två sekler (printed 1972)

There is a picture of the island Långholmen here: http://www.langholmen.com/indexEn.html  The prison is located in the middle of the island. At least some of the buildings are from the 18th century.  It is now used as a hotel, so you can pay for sleeping in the cells which the prisoners wanted to escape from!

Best regards/ Allan (who has just returned home from an afternoon walk around the prison buildings at Långholmen).

2005-03-12, 18:59
Svar #3

Utloggad Karen Norwillo

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Allan, Thank you for the information. I have been told by SSA Stockholm that a female relative was sent there in 1881 after being transferred from Stockholms stads cellfängelse. I saw the online site of the hotel and museum. Karen

2005-03-12, 23:31
Svar #4

Utloggad Allan Hansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 219
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-11-24, 12:21
    • Visa profil
Karen, I can not say that the information you got is wrong, since I have not seen the primary sources. The book I refered to is of course a secondary source, but seems well researched, so I believe it is correct concerning the presence of female prisoners at Långholmen after 1825. After closer reading of what my source says about the 1880?s, I can see that there were a lot of factories and industries located on or close to Långholmen, which used prisoners as workers. The biggest of these factories, a wool manufacturer, used 220 male prisoners around 1870. Indeed, the company was also in charge of 65 female prisoners. But these women did not belong to the Långholmen prison, but had workshops at their prison, which was straff- och arbetsfängelset å Norrmalm /the punishment and labour prison at Norrmalm - Norrmalm is situated in the northern part of Stockholm, at least 5 km from Långholmen/.

Maybe your female relative was sent to spinnhuset (which would refer to the Norrmalm women prison or some other prison for women), and someone at SSA Stockholm did interpret this as spinnhuset på Långholmen, though Långholmen was not mentioned. Or she may actually have been sent to Långholmen by some other reason, unknown to me.

Anyway, I think that there should either be a court decision, or a decision by the Överståthållareämbetet concerning your female relative. In both cases, it should be possible to find the records in the proper archives. (I guess that SSA refers to Stockholms Stadsarkiv, so you are already in touch.)

Best regards/ Allan

2005-03-13, 16:13
Svar #5

Utloggad Karen Norwillo

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Allen, Yes, I am. I have them doing more research for me to find out why she was sent to prison and if she died there. We were always told she died in childbirth. Obviously, she didn't. Karen

2005-04-02, 19:43
Svar #6

Utloggad Karen Norwillo

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Allen, The lady at the Stockholm Archives was not able to find anything more on my relative. She says the notation is there on the record she found originally, but as you say, there were no females at Långholmen at that time. She also checked the others that you mentioned without finding her. So for now, the mystery remains. Karen

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna