ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Marriage Certificates  (läst 540 gånger)

2000-03-07, 00:54
läst 540 gånger

maureen

Can anyone help me to find out if my grandfather was married when he came to Canada.He went to England and then to Canada.He arrived in Canada October 1/1923.His name is Frans Oskar Lundquist he was born16,12,1888,Gudmundra,Vasternorrland. He could have possibly had a daughter that he left behind.Any help would be great

2000-03-07, 04:18
Svar #1

donna

Maureen: Hi! I would be happy to assist you in any way that I can. I have a few questions to ask you...

You note that your grandfather, Frans Oskar Lundquist arrived in Canada on October 1,1923. I would assume that he arrived by ship-what was the name of the ship? Where did he land in Canada? Where did he settle in Canada?
Hopefully you will be able to provide me with the answers to the questions above. I would assume so-especially since you have the exact date of his arrival in Canada! How did you learn of that date?

I will wait to see what additional information you can provide.  

Regards,
Donna  
Toronto,Canada

2000-03-07, 16:10
Svar #2

maureen

Donna
Yes he arrived by ship I don't know the name of it.The stamp in his passport says Oct 1,1923,Hull.I know he went to Timmins,Ontario and then to British Colombia.I have both my grandparents passports.We are sure he was married in Sweden.Hope this can help you.He married my grandmother around 1948.

2000-03-09, 01:40
Svar #3

donna

Maureen: Hi. A few things to mention and a few more questions to ask you.  
I thought I would start by checking the 1890 Swedish census for your grandfather based on the information you provided.
I found Frans Oskar (Vitalis?) Lindqvist in the 1890 census for the parish Gudmundrå in the county of Västernorrland. He was born in 1888 in the parish Gudmundrå. The 1890 census notes the family as follows-
Parents:
Anders Johansson Lundqvist-born 1843
Casja Jonsdotter-born 1845
Children:
Johanna-born 1872
Carl Johan-born 1879
Jonas Albin-born 1880
Anders Alfred-born 1882
Gustaf Adolf-born 1884
Maria Kristina-born 1886
Frans Oskar (Vitalis)-born 1888

I cannot help you with locating marriage records in Sweden. Marriage records would have to be researched for you in the actual church records by someone in Sweden. I would suggest posting a request for assistance noting his name, the parish and the county.

I also went to the British Columbia archives since you noted that he eventually went to BC. The BC death indexes are accessible 20 years after the event has occurred. I found two Lundquist entries that could be your grandfather. Do you know where he settled in BC? Do you know when he passed away? Both these gentlemen would have been born in 1888.  
The two records that I found are as follows:
Frank Oscar W Lundquist-passed away February 18, 1950 at 61 years of age in Princeton, British Columbia.
Frank Lundquist-passed away December 8, 1978 at 89 years of age in Cranbrook, British Columbia.  

In your last message you noted that his passport is stamped Hull. Is that Hull, England? The passport stamp should identify this.  The reason I mention this is that the port of Quebec was the main point for immigrants landing in Canada... Hull, Quebec is further inland, near Montreal. Hull, England was largely used for transmigrants who would travel there and then depart by steamship from Liverpool or Glasgow to Quebec or Halifax. Since you noted England in your first message I assume his trip was not direct to North America.  
On to the topic of the immigration. Do you know if other family members or relatives immigrated to Canada? There are very few resources for searching ships/passenger lists on the internet for the 20th century. You are in luck though. Beginning in 1919 the government of Canada required each immigrant arriving by ocean to complete and submit a FORM 30A. These forms usually included alot of information such as: name of ship, date of sailing, port and date of arrival, name, age, occupation...and more. These forms were microfilmed in 1949-and I have located the reel that should include your grandfather. I believe that this microfilm series is available here in Toronto at the North York Reference Library. I will go and check and let you know the results.  

The other thing that I wanted to ask you was for information about your grandmother. What do you know about her?
Finally...I may be a bit confused but...was your grandfather married more than once? From your messages you state that he was in fact married in Sweden...emigrated in 1923...and married your grandmother in approximately 1948-which I assume occurred in Canada. Please clarify!

Well I've got to go. I will let you know more as soon as possible.

Regards,
Donna

2000-03-09, 02:13
Svar #4

maureen

Donna
Thankyou for your help.Yes I have the information from BC archives.I know all the information about my grandmothers family back to 1580.Yes it could be Hull England If it is, there is no stamp from Canada in his passport.I really don't know where to go now.I hope you find the Form 30A if you can get a copy I wil gladly pay for it.My grandmother came here in 1924 so she would have a form 30a also.We believe my grfather was married in Sweden before he came to Canada. But when my grmother came here she came to meet him here but they married til around 1948. You can get in touch with me here or mgpavich@hotmail.com  I could explain more to you.
Maureen

2000-03-09, 04:33
Svar #5

donna

Maureen: Hello yet again! Before I go to the reference library...what is the name (maiden) of your grandmother? I assume she immigrated using her maiden name in 1924. I must have that to check for her form 30A and I might as well check for both at the same time.
As far as your grandfather goes...which BC Archival entry is the one that is in fact your grandfather? Was the 1890 census/parish information the correct match to your family history? He was the only Frans Oskar Lundqvist born in 1888 that I could locate in the Gudmundrå parish.

Please let me know asap!

Regards,
Donna

2000-03-09, 06:41
Svar #6

Roland Johansson

As a compliment and a complement to Donna's good work.  
If this family turns out to be the correct one, perhaps Maureen would like to see the actual census page. You will find it here: Gudmundrå census 1890.
The father in the family, Anders, was born in Nöbbeled parish in Kronoberg county, Småland province. He was a stonecutter by profession.
The mother, Cajsa, was born in Mangskog parish, Värmland county and province.
Johanna was born in Brunskog parish in Värmland. She is said to be Cajsa's illegitimate daughter, probably Anders wasn't her father.
Carl Johan and Jonas Albin were born in Oviken parish, Jämtland county and province.
Anders Alfred was born in Brunflo parish, Jämtland.
Three youngest children were all born in Gudmundrå.

And yes, Vitalis is a swedish name. Not very common, but non the less.

2000-03-09, 13:30
Svar #7

maureen

Donna
 Yes my grandfather was Fans Oskar Vitalis from the Gudmundra Parish.He did die in Princeton.
My grandmother was Ester Marie Norlander born Feb29,1892.I know she arrived here on Aug 15 1924 aboard the S.S.Stravangerfjord.That was in Halifax.I appreciate what you are doing for me.Thankyou
Maureen

2000-03-09, 13:36
Svar #8

maureen

Roland
Thankyou for the information.Yes it was nice to see it all myself.You say Johanna is Cajsa's illegitimate daughter.Can you tell me how you have found this out?Thankyou again my grandfather was very secretive about his live in Sweden and I just want to find some answers.Thankyou so much for your help.
Maureen

2000-03-09, 22:07
Svar #9

roland

Maureen
When you open the census page at the above link, you can click on Johanna f. 1872 and a page will open with information about her.  
In the left column there's an entry Familjest: hustruns o.ä. d..  
That's an abbreviation for Familjeställning: hustruns oäkta dotter meaning Position in family: wife's illegitimate daughter.

2000-03-09, 23:43
Svar #10

maureen

Roland
Thankyou for your explanation.I know this is not on Marriage but could you explain to me what all the words and codes behind them mean on the Census.You could post it here or send it to me at my email.It is so hard when everything is in Swedish.If I can help you in any way please let me know.
Maureen
mgpavich@hotmail.com

2000-03-10, 19:45
Svar #11

donna

Maureen: Hi! I got to the reference library later than I planned so I didn't have much time but...I did locate the form 30A for Frans Oskar V. Lundqvist! I wasn't able to print it as they were closing when I finally found it-and they promptly shut their machines down. I will be returning there next week so I will print it for you then as well as look for your grandmother on the microfilm reel on which her form should be located.
I got to read the page of his form manually marked as 3 (they were microfilmed in reverse) so I don't know what else is on the other pages. We'll certainly see!
From what I did gather, I can tell you:
He travelled on a third class ticket. There were two ships and two dates of sailing noted at the top of the form. These were difficult to read but I think using a different machine next time should rectify the problem. Anyway, the latter date of sailing appeared to be October 5, 1923. Based on the passport information, he must have initially travelled to Hull, England (stamp October 1, 1923) and then proceeded on another ship that sailed for Canada on October 5, 1923. There also was a handwritten notation of Liverpool near the top of the form-so I'll bet that is where the second phase of his journey originated.
There is other information that I made note of- but I am going away for the weekend and I have very little time today. I will get back to you ASAP.  

As far as your comment regarding Swedish and the census form. I know what you mean as I am only fluent in English-and do not speak Swedish. From searching my family (please see the two HEDBERG entries under the Emigrants heading-and I am still trying/hoping for help!) I believe that I have learned a little about translating...Roland may have to correct me but here they are:  
Hemförsamling=home parish
Hemort=place of residence, domicile
Kontrakt=?
Län-county
Födelseår=birthyear
Födelseort=?
Födelseförs=birth parish
Yrke=occupation
Title=title?
Civilstånd-civil status
Kön-gender (sex)
Familjest=position in family-as per Roland as I couldn't get this one!
Famstkod=?
Hushåll nr=household number
Familj nr=? (family but what is the number notation about?)
Frånvaro=absence?
Övrigt=other,remaining?
The civil standing entry has the following codes:
O=unmarried, G=married, E=widow/widower, X=divorced, S=partner/common law spouse, F=engaged to be married, U=unknown

I hope this helps a little. I noted question marks where I don't know the answer or are unsure of the significance of the heading-such as title.

My goodness it's getting late-I've got to go!

Kindest regards,
Donna
*Roland-Thank you for your information/ explanation(s) and kind words!

2000-03-14, 21:49
Svar #12

donna

Maureen: Hi! I arrived back home today. I had hoped to hear from you!  
I will be returning to the reference library sometime later this week. Actually, I just came into possession of a Swedish pension application for my great grandmother and I finally might be able to locate their ship information/passenger list. The form  lists the exact date they left Sweden. My relatives immigrated in 1913 and the form 30A was not in use at that time. It has been an unsuccessful search for me up to this point.

While I am there I will print out the form 30A (or forms-should I locate your grandmothers as well) for you. I would gladly mail them to you. You need not worry about paying me as the cost is a mere twenty cents a page. You can send me your address privately to: wrik@idirect.com

Regards,
Donna

2000-03-14, 22:53
Svar #13

Carina Rickard

Donna,
I noticed that you'd left some of the translations.
i will try to explain even though I don't know the accurate term in English.
Kontrakt = means that you have specialareas for the churches in Sweden. F ex I live in a small town in a parish and there are lots of small towns around and they togheter belong to a kontrakt. And like this we have several kontrakt in Sweden - it quite a clerical thing.
Födelseort = place of birth
Familjest = is weather you're the son daughter mother, father, husband or wife . . .
Famstkod - that one I really don't understand myself
Familj nr = well there could be several families living at the same  farm  Or the farm had been divided throughout the years because of heritance ( hmm I'm not sure I'm using the adecvat terms here -  but I hope you understand )

Well, have to go

Carina

2000-03-15, 02:59
Svar #14

donna

Carina: Hi. Thanks for the information. It was perfectly understandable! I appreciate your taking the time.  
I have also had some information provided by Roland Johansson-and he notifies me that the translation of FAMSTKOD is code for status in the family.

Regards,
Donna

2000-03-15, 08:50
Svar #15

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 520
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-07, 14:22
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi,

The English word for kontrakt is Deanery.
Hans

2000-09-06, 04:12
Svar #16

Rob Olson

Hi, I am trying to track down any information on my Swedish ancestors. My Great Great grandfather Olaus Trulson married Ingrid (Engre) Persdotter. They died in Solvesberg Sweden and were members of the Malaby Parish. I believe Olaus was born on the island of Oland. If you have any information or advice please email me at rolson10@mediaone.net
Thanks,
Rob

2001-11-28, 07:24
Svar #17

Kathryn Yates

Hi, I am looking for  marriage information at Froso Parish Jamtlands Sweden for Olof Fredrik Pehrsson BJuly 2 1860 after 1881 before he left to come to America May 1882.  Who were his parents?  If you have any information on him email me. setayk@home.com  Thankyou

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna