ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Military Service Interpretation  (läst 3552 gånger)

2002-03-21, 17:35
läst 3552 gånger

Maxine

Hi,  
My great great grandfather was a Grenadian-
soldier in the town of Linkoping and his  
soldier  
name was Bjur. this is what I would like to  
know  
what it means and what he did in military. He  
was  
Per Olaf Bring and was a soldier until 1879  
and  
after him his oun son Frans Oscar took over  
and  
got his soldiers name Bjur.  
Per Olaf Bring was b. August 4, 1825 in  
Kalmar  
(in Smaland)  
Per OLaf Bring had a soldier cottage in Berga  
Ostra Skrukeby parish north of the town  
Linkoping  
and close to the southeast end of the Lake  
Roxen  
for his family.this is where Per Olaf's another  
son (my great grandfather ) Carl Johan Bring  
was  
born .Per Olaf married Inga Stina Persdotter  
(born August 12, 1821) in Ostra Harg Parish )  
they were married in November 11, 1848

Per Olaf had other children too I think only my  
great grandfather Carl came to America..
children--
Caroline Johanna b November 19,1849
Maja Britta b Feburary 14, 1852
Per Johan b October 25, 1854 d December  
19, 1856
Carl Johan b Septmeber 16, 1857                  
Frans Oscar b October 2, 1860
Nils Fredrik b October 12, 1862
I would also like to know if the above children  
married in Sweden because I know that I have  
living relatives in Sweden Maybe in that area.
thanks ahead of time for anyones help

2002-03-22, 12:40
Svar #1

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 520
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-07, 14:22
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Maxine,
By grenadian-soldier I guess you mean a grenadier.
A grenadier was originally a soldier armed with hand grenades. The grenadier first fired his musket and then he would light the fuse of the grenade and throw it. The next move was to charge the enemy with the bayonet mounted on the musket. In each company there were 12 grenadiers.
The grenadiers were the first to be equipped with bayonets (beginning of the 18tn century). They were also equipped with a kind of grenade rifles.
Later when the range of fire of the muskets increased the role of the grenadier changed. In stead the best grenadiers formed an elite unit.
At the end of the 18th century the grenadier units became ordinary infantry units.  

If your ancestor was a grenadier in Linköping he served in the First Life Grenadier Regiment or possible the Second Life Grenadier Regiment. Both regiments resided in Linköping. The Second Life Grenadier Regiment was formerly a cavalry regiment  

Hans

2002-03-26, 00:56
Svar #2

Maxine

Hans,  
Do you know what Per Olaf Lasson's soldier's  
name  
Bjur means? Also, where could I find out more  
about his military carreer life was like?
Maxine

2002-03-26, 09:14
Svar #3

Utloggad Jojje Lintrup

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1204
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-12-16, 14:51
    • Visa profil
Bjur means 'beaver' in older Swedish.

2002-03-26, 14:21
Svar #4

Maxine

Does anyone know how I can find get more  
information on military records for Per Olaf  
Bring who was a Grenadian at the regiment in  
the  
town of Linkoping?
Maxine

2002-03-26, 15:01
Svar #5

Utloggad Mats Högberg

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 580
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-12-07, 22:30
    • Visa profil
Hi Maxine!

In the search engine of Garnisonmuseets Soldatregister available on the internet by clicking here you can find a Petter Olof Bring born 1825, dead 1914, who was active soldier from 1847 to 1878. His act no. was FL-01-0145-1847 and he was living in the cottage no. FL-01-0145 in the parish of Östra Skrukeby. He belonged to Livkompaniet at Kungl. första Livgrenadjärregementet.

I believe it is possible to get more information by sending them an email. The homepage of Garnisonmuseet is here

Unfortunately it seems that all information is in Swedish but if you send them an email I am sure they can answer how you can obtain more information about Petter Olof Bring, if this is the person you are looking for.

Per and Petter is the same name. Olaf is more common in Norwegian, Olof of Olov is the Swedish version.

Kind regards
Mats Högberg

2002-03-27, 13:14
Svar #6

Harold Dozier

Hej Mats,  
Are there similiar sites for military information for other places? For Småland districts for example.

mvh
Harold Dozier
Tulsa, Oklahoma

2002-03-27, 21:02
Svar #7

Maxine

I don't speak Swedish so could someone  
please  
help me to translate these words for me so I  
can  
fill out a request form to find out about my  
grandfather's military records.
I must fill in blanks and I can't understand  
what  
they want me to put in the lines.
FODD
ANTAGNINGSDATUM/AR
ROTE
KOMPANI  
ANTAL TRAFFAR PER SIDA

Thank you,
Maxine

2002-04-01, 15:50
Svar #8

Maxine

Hi,
I was wondering about Bjur( my  
ggggrandfather's  
soldier name. Someone told me on this  
discussion  
sight, that Bjur stands for Beaver in Old  
Swedish, But does that mean that the whold  
word  
Bjur stands for Beaver or does the first letter  
B-Stand for Beaver and then what does the  
letters  
jur stand for?  
Maxine

2002-04-01, 17:45
Svar #9

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
The whole word bjur means beaver in old Swedish, and it was common for soldiers to be given animal names.

2002-04-06, 21:25
Svar #10

Maxine

I am trying to fill in Military blanks for  
imformation but I am stuck can anyone help  
me  
with meanings?
what does Antaganingsdatum/ar and across  
from  
that is Bindestreckmellan -ar-manad-dag
Fodd and across from that is  
Bindestreckmellan -
manad-dag
Antal traffar per sida  
Maxine

2002-04-06, 22:27
Svar #11

Utloggad Jan Jutefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4731
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-07-06, 10:38
    • Visa profil
Maxine,

Antagningsdatum = Date of admission.

The Swedish rules for writing a date is year-month-day.

Född = Born

Antal träffar per sida = Number of strike aside.

2002-08-19, 19:28
Svar #12

Carolyn Johnson Eccles

Gustav Kiellberg was a ryttare living in Treleborgs ryttaretop #113 Källeryd, Jönköping län from abt 1790 to his death in 1822. The household examination records gives a birth date of 24 Jan 1766 but I don't find a birth record for him then or for the years around that time.
Lars Månsson Mård was a soldier who I find living in Utterkull, Burseryd, Jönköping län 1764 to his death in 1789. Like Gustav the household examination records say Lars was born 5 Mar 1736 but I do not find a birth record for him in Burseryd.
I am going to be at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City next week and want to check the military records and see if they list a birth place for either of my 2 ancestors. I need some help knowing what regiments they would have been in and any other help/suggestions anyone can give me.
MVH
Carolyn Johnson Eccles
San Leandro, California

2002-08-19, 21:29
Svar #13

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
In the Family History Library they have a set of Swedish books, known as Grill (statistiskt sammandrag af indelningsverket), ask one of the helpful persons in the Scandinavian desk on floor B1 to help you use those books.  

As you know where they lived, it should not be difficult to find out the regiment and the company. Also you can read about the military system in Cradled in Sweden by Carl-Erik Johansson, which has just been reprinted.

Also, on this site: Hans Högman's Military Pages you can find more useful information.

2002-08-20, 20:19
Svar #14

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Carolyn,

Cavalrymen or ”ryttare” in Källeryd, Källeryd parish (#113) belonged to the Småland Cavalry regiment.

The regiment was first established in 1628 as the Småland Horsemen (Smålands ryttare). The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1695.    
The regiment received the name the Småland Cavalry Regiment (Smålands kavalleriregemente) in 1684. In 1792 the regiment carried the name the Småland Light Cavalry Regiment (Smålands lätta kavalleriregemente) and in 1802 the Småland Light Dragoon Regiment (Smålands lätta dragonregemente).
In 1808 the regiment received the name the Småland Dragoon Regiment (Småland dragonregemente).  
The regiment was divided into two units in 1812. The former 2nd Battalion of the regiment was reorganized into infantry and received the name the Infantry Battalion of the Småland Dragoon Regiment (Smålands dragonregementes infanteribataljon).
The former 1st Battalion of the regiment remained as a cavalry unit and kept the name the Småland Dragoon Regiment. However this name was changed to the Småland Hussar Regiment (Smålands husarregemente) in 1822.  
According to your information your “ryttare” Gustav Kiellberg was living at Treleborgs ryttaretop #113 Källeryd, Jönköping län from about 1790 to his death in 1822.
This means he was a cavalryman during the time when the regiment was divided (1812).
Before 1812 the regiment was organized into 8 cavalry squadrons, in total 1000 horsemen. After 1812 the cavalry unit was organized into 6 squadrons, in total 500 horsemen.
The 2nd battalion was then reorganized into infantry of 4 companies, in total 500 soldiers.
Now the “rusthåll” of Källeryd was a part of the 2nd battalion and therefore the soldiers of the Källeryd's two soldier's cottages now became infantrymen.
The “Grill” work reflects the situation around 1854 and at that time the Källeryd soldiers belonged of the Jönköping Company. Probably the company had the same name during the cavalry period.

Soldiers in Burseryd parish, rote Ytterkull (#107) belonged to the Jönköping Infantry regiment.
The regiment was first established in 1623 as the Jönköping Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in May 13 1685.    
According to your information your soldier Lars Månsson Mård was a soldier at Ytterkull rote #107 Burseryd, Jönköping län from 1764 to his death in 1789.
Maybe he died in action; Sweden was a war with Russia at that time.
The soldiers of Ytterkull, Burseryd belonged to Södra Vestbo Company of the Jönköpings regiment.
You can read more about the regiments at http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/regiments_inf1_eng.htm

Hans Högman

2002-08-20, 22:26
Svar #15

Ishbel Cormack

Hans Högman: Tack sä mycket for your website in English and all the information about the military etc. It is a great help to those of us who are interested in learning all we can of Swedish history and how it affected our Swedish ancestors

2002-08-21, 02:02
Svar #16

Utloggad Clyde Peterson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 224
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-04-06, 02:49
    • Visa profil
Hello Hans Högman:
My mf, August Petersson Wall, b 16 October 1857 in Vallerstad, Östergöland,  
AI: 17, p247
N=90 Komp lst Lifg Rgt
Lifgren August Petersson Wall
Can you tell me some information about the Company and Regiment he was a member?
What would his duties have been living with his family?
He and his wife and children emigrated to USA in 1891. What would he have had to do in order to get released from his military obligation?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Best Regards, Clyde D Peterson

2002-08-21, 15:19
Svar #17

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Clyde,
The lst Lifg Rgt is short for the First Life Grenadier Regiment (Första Livgrenadjärregementet).

The regiment was first established in 1636 as the Östgöta Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1685.  
In 1791 the regiment was merged with the Östgöta Cavalry Regiment and the infantry part of the regiments received the name; The rotehåll division of the Life Grenadier Regiment (Livgrenadjärsregementets rotehållsdivision). The cavalry regiment then became a dismounted regiment.

In 1816 the new regiment was divided and reorganized into the two old regiments. The former infantry regiment received the name the First Life Grenadier Regiment (Första Livgrenadjärregementet, I4) and the former cavalry regiment received the name the Second Life Grenadier Regiment (Andra Livgrenadjärregementet, I5).

The regiment was allotted with 1200 rotar.
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the rotar were located within the province of Östergötland.  
Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Ydre Company, Östanstångs Company, Kinds Company, Västanstångs Company and Vadstena Company.  

I don't have access to my Grill at the moment so I have to get back to you with information about which company the Vallerstad soldier's belonged to.

Discharge from the Army:
The soldier's contract didn't stipulate a certain service time. It was a permanent tenure until further notice. Normally the soldiers served for a very long time, up to 30 years or more.  
A soldier could only get a discharge (avsked) at a general muster (generalmönstring). This could be on the soldier's request or be discharged by the army. The reason for discharge could be old age, war injury or sickness.
By the request of a soldier, the Colonel of the regiment could discharge the soldier between general musters if the rote farmer supported the proposal. This was called a provisional discharge and the discharge to be approved at the next general muster.

In order for a soldier to get a discharge on his own request he had to have a valid reason like old age, injury, sickness etc. Therefor he needed a medical certificate from the regimental surgeon in order to make the request.  

However is was no guarantee that the request was granted. If the army thought the soldier could do another couple of years in service they could reject the request for a discharge.

At time of war it was very difficult to get a request for discharged approved. Valid reasons then could be weakness of old age or severe injury/sickness.

A soldier could also be discharged if he had committed a crime like theft, crime of violence etc. The soldier was then discharged in dishonor and the general muster would the have the comment kasserades or cassation.

The majority of the regiments in Sweden at this time were organized in a system called the Allotment System (Indelningsverket). In order to understand how this worked you can have a go at this page: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/slsoldat_eng.htm
And to understand the difference between the allotted regiments and the enlisted regiments you can take a look at this page: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/allotted%20-%20enlisted.htm
I hope those pages will answer your question: What would his duties have been living with his family?  

Hans Högman

2002-08-21, 21:42
Svar #18

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Clyde,

The Vallerstad's soldiers of the First Life Grenadier Regiment belonged to the Vreta Kloster Company (6th Company). (The names of the companies are different from the ones of 1682).
Hans Högman

2002-08-22, 04:28
Svar #19

Utloggad Clyde Peterson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 224
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-04-06, 02:49
    • Visa profil
Hello Hans Högman,
Thank you for the information.
Is it possible to determine when August Petersson Wall became a soldier?  
Best Regards, Clyde

2002-08-23, 09:31
Svar #20

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Clyde,

If you are interested in individual soldiers of the First Life Grenadier Regiment you might want to get in touch with the Garnisonsmuseet i Linköping (The garrison museum in Linköping).
The have a register/database covering the soldiers of the regiment. The register contains 14.507 names covering the period between 1600 and 1899.

See http://home.bip.net/garnisonsmuseet/
E-mail: garnisons.museet@telia.com

Hans

2003-08-10, 21:51
Svar #21

Nancy Jaderen

I have an ancestor,Nils Nilsson Munk,who was a soldier.I am trying to find which regiment he was in.I do not have a birth date or place.He married
Brita Andersdotter in 1796 in Folkarna,Kopperberg.Is there a regiment from that area and where would I find info on it?Also,is Loman a soldier name,as in Anders Hansson Loman?

2003-08-19, 01:35
Svar #22

Nancy Jaderen

My ancestor was Nils Nilsson Munk,a soldier.I believe he was born 15 Aug. 1766 in Munktorp,Vastmanland.He married Brita Andersdotter in Folkarna,Kopperberg. Is there any way to find out which regiment and company he was in?  
  Thank you

2004-08-17, 21:39
Svar #23

Eva Leksell

Nancy, have a look at the discussion: General questions: Birthplace and parents of Nils Nilson Munk - where you have asked for Nils Nilsson Munk more recently. I will give you a short answer there.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna