ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Millitary question  (läst 1520 gånger)

2006-02-12, 01:34
läst 1520 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Could someone help me find information on Hans Högman's site, concerning a military question.  I'd like to find a typical uniform that a soldier from Västmandland might have worn in the 1840s.  My ancestor, Karl Källstrom, who emigrated in 1846, was a soldier with the Västmanlands regemente, SALBERGS KOMPANI, Parish: Österunda File:  Syllby, according to the Central Soldiers Register.
   Much of the information on the Högman site is in Swedish.  Could someone help me find a typical type of uniform that Karl Källstrom might have worn?  Would he have been paid by the allotment system?  What type of duties did soldiers do in the early 1840s?  Thanks in advance!

2006-02-12, 13:25
Svar #1

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
I hope someone else can answer your questions about the soldiers' pay and duties, but I've tried to find some uniform pics.

Hans Högman describes lots and lots of changes that the Swedish infantry uniforms underwent during the first few decades of the 19th century. Generally, the trend is that the cut is modernized and the color differences between the regiments are gradually removed, so in the 1840s most would've worn similar uniforms in the same colors no matter what regiment they belonged to. The pics he has are from Södermanlands regemente, in 1815 and 1830

He also has photos of the uniform introduced in  1845, which your ancestor would've worn if he'd stayed longer in the military.

2006-02-12, 14:24
Svar #2

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 520
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-07, 14:22
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Karen, old uniform details are difficult to describe in Swedish, even more difficult to translate into English. That is way I haven't translated my page about the Swedish Army uniforms into English. I apologize for haven't done so yet.
However, I will, here and now, try to describe the uniform of 1845 in English.
The demands for uniforms more suitable for active service grow in the 1840's. The uniforms of the European armies did change a lot during this period. Sweden was fairly early to adopt these new ideas. In 1845 the Swedish uniforms was submitted to a far-reaching change. All defense branches, infantry, artillery and a to a large extent also the cavalry, got their uniforms changed, known as the model m/1845. The helmet (kask) was introduced as a new headgear.  
The tunic (vapenrock) was issued in a dark blue color with a yellow lining instead of the former tailcoat jacket. Each regiment had their own type of buttons of the tunic, placed in one row, 8 in numbers. The tunic had a stand-up collar (ståndkrage) that was open and cut on the bias in the front.
The officer's tunic was open at the back and had a yellow edging at the front of the collar, at the cuffs and at the pocket flaps. The officers also had epaulets on their shoulders, like a insignia.

The trousers were also in a dark blue color with a yellow braid (passpoal) on the outer seams.  
The soldier coat (kapott) was issued in a dark grey color with yellow details at the stand up collar. The officer coat was issued in a dark blue color, also with yellow details at the stand up collar.
The soldier “kolett” (a sweater with sleeves and a stand up collar) was in a dark blue color with shoulder straps including buttons at the front.

If you go to my page,  m/1845 and click on the link [1840-1900] you will find a uniform from 1845 worn by Göta Life Guards.  
The infantry Life Guard regiments had a similar uniform as the rest of the infantry, however with some exceptions.
Hans

2006-02-12, 14:45
Svar #3

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Karen, to answer your question about the Västmanland regiment: This regiment was an allotted regiment with 1,200 rotar. Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. The regiment's rotar were located within the counties of Västmanland (940), Örebro (55) and Kopparberg (205).
You will find more information about the Allotment System and the allotted soldiers at  
Alloment System.
Information about the Västmanland regiment can be found at:  
Västmanland Regiment.
Hans

2006-02-13, 00:12
Svar #4

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks so much!
   Karen

2006-02-13, 20:50
Svar #5

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I have a few more questions.  Karl Källström's oldest son, Karl Erik Jedin, was a soldier in the Livregementets grenadjärer in the Östra Vestmanlands Komp., Torstuna parish.  What did these grenadier units do after the 1850s?  Were they considered to be elite, highly trained soldiers who were not from the allotment system?  Did they continue to wear special uniforms?
   It is interesting that two of Karl Källstrom's younger sons, Augustus (Gustaf) and Julius, fought on the Union side in the American Civil War.  A family of soldiers!

2006-02-13, 23:35
Svar #6

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Karen, a grenadier was originally a soldier armed with hand grenades. Later when the range of fire of the muskets increased the role of the grenadiers changed. Instead the grenadiers formed elite units.
At the end of the 18th century the grenadier units became ordinary infantry units,  
i.e. there were no longer any differences between grenadiers and other infantry even if they kept the “grenadier” names of these regiments.

Regarding the uniforms; I described the m/1845 uniform above. I ended the entry with “The infantry Life Guard regiments had a similar uniform as the rest of the infantry, however with some exceptions.” I should have included the grenadiers in that statement, i.e. the grenadiers had similar uniforms with some exceptions.
Hans

2006-02-14, 02:32
Svar #7

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil

2006-02-14, 23:01
Svar #8

Chuck Mäki

Reading this reminded me of my visit to Fort Niagara State Park north of Buffalo New York.

There was a college student working during the summer break.  He told us about the uniform of the period.
He said this is the woolen winter uniform.
And then he spun around full circle and said.
 and this is the summer uniform.

The website for the place:
http://www.oldfortniagara.org/

Chuck

2006-02-14, 23:15
Svar #9

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I like that story, Chuck!  Back to the grenadier issue.  Being a grenadier must have given a bit of status, since the 1890 census lists Karl Jedin with his grenadier title preceding his name.  It was a title, rather than just an occupation.  I enjoy finding hints of social class and status in Swedish society.

2006-02-15, 17:20
Svar #10

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Karen, no, I'm sorry. A private soldier was lower in rank than a farmer (bonde, åbo, hemmansägare), about the same as a crofter (torpare) - which is indeed exactly what he was under the allotment system.

However, in the context of the armed forces, it was better to be a grenadier than an ordinary infantry man. Just as a hussar or dragoon trumped any foot-slogger.

Until around 1900 we had ten social classes (according to prof. Sten Carlsson; the following is a brief translation of the summary found on the Wasling homepage ( http://www.adm.hb.se/~lew/Slakt/a_HstNot/SocKlas.htm - in Swedish only)):
1. Aristocracy.
Titled nobility, great landowners, court officials, top civil servants (including bishops), flag officers (actually, from colonel/captain (Navy) and up), very rich and influential merchants.
2. Lower aristocracy.
Untitled nobility, estate owners, judges in district and appeal courts, senior officers, wealthy merchants.
3. Gentry.
Grammar school teachers, vicars, subordinate civil servants, junior officers, factory owners, merchants, doctors.
4. Lower gentry.
Tutors, secretaries, warrant officers, inspectors, shopkeepers, innkeepers, master craftsmen (in cities), merchant navy captains and mates.
5. Farmers.
Farmers owning their farms (or well-to-do tenants of farms about equal size to a respectable farm). Master-smiths, craftsmen (in cities/towns), corporal/leading seaman.
6. Minor farmers.
Typically tenant farmers of smaller farms, part of the rent could be paid by working a number of days for the owner (dagsverke); country tailors, country shoemakers.
7. Dependant farmers.
Crofters (they paid their rent by dagsverke), private soldiers/ordinary seamen, journeymen craftsmen, ordinary smiths at ironworks.
8. Workers.
Peasants (backstugusittare), estate workers (statare), farmhands, maids, workmen, merchant navy deckhands; they had no property what so ever and worked for food and board and - if they were lucky - a very small amount in cash.
9. Paupers.
Poor people that were either rotated in the parish (they spent a certain number of days at each farm, according to the size of the farm), were auctioned off (the farmer claiming the least amount of money for maintenance was awarded the poor person) or sent to the poor-house. These people were really not meant to work (since they were too young/old or sick), only to help out - but especially auctioned-off children were very often seen as cheap extra servants and made to work very hard.
10. Outcasts.
Hangmen, flayers, tinkers, gelders etc, people with no fixed abode. Gipsies, travellers.

Ingela

2006-02-15, 23:26
Svar #11

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Very interesting!  I have printed this and will keep it with my information about Sweden.  Thanks!

2006-02-16, 15:03
Svar #12

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Glad to be of help, Karen.

On re-reading my input, I realized I've omitted that for no 8 (Workers), farmhands and maids in the country were paid not only in food and board but also in clothes - a very important item.
You usually started out as a farmhand/maid after you were confirmed at 15; if the family could afford it you stayed at home until you were maybe 18 (roughly the age kids leave home for college today). Then you worked as a farmhand/maid for up to 10 years - and during this time you collected more or less all the nicer clothes you'd need for the rest of your life (this is described in greater detail in a book published by the county museum of Uppland, Kläderna gör upplänningen). After some ten years you got married and had to provide clothes for the children, and indeed, your own farmhands/maids, so no more nice clothes for yourself.

Ingela

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna