ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Peter Magnus Månsson and family  (läst 1526 gånger)

2007-01-25, 07:10
läst 1526 gånger

Dean Oberg

Looking for information on Peter Magnus Månsson and family.

Here's what we know.

His parents:
Mans Hansson
b: 1776 Frodinge, Sevede, Kalmar;  d: after 1820
Sara Johansdotter
b: 1772 Frodinge, Sevede, Kalmar;  d: after 1820

His Info:
Peter Magnus Månsson (Rubin - lastname in US)  
b: 07/22/1809 Locknevi, Kalmar;
d: 02/25/1882 Jamestown, NY, USA

His First Wife:
Cajsa Greta Nilsson
b: 09/15/1808 Locknevi, Kalmar;
m: 06/24/1831 Locknevi, Kalmar;
d: 08/08/1849 Locknevi, Kalmar

His Second Wife:
Fredricka Rubin
b: 03/29/1829 ?;
m:??;
d: 06/20/1907 Jamestown, NY, USA

His daughter and son-in-law:
Selma Charlotta Petersdotter
b: 03/16/1842 Locknevi, Kalmar;
d: 06/01/1922 Jamestown, NY, USA
Nils Henrik Åberg
b: 11/09/1837 Locknevi, Kalmar;
d: 06/19/1910 Jamestown, NY, USA

Questions:

Any ancestors prior to Mans Hansson and Sara Johansdotter ?

Any more precise birth and death info available for Mans Hansson and Sara Johansdotter ?

Any occupation or housing details for Peter Magnus Månsson while in Sweden ?

Did Peter Magnus Månsson have any brothers or sisters ?

When did Peter Magnus Månsson emigrate to the US ?  
(assuming before 1868 - when he appears in US church records)

Did he emigrate as Peter Magnus Månsson or Peter Magnus Rubin ?

Were Peter Magnus Månsson and Fredricka Rubin married in Sweden ?  Did they emigrate together ?

2007-01-25, 19:59
Svar #1

linda rosedahl

Hi,
This is from Emibas the record made when some requested permission to leave the Parish.  Peter's birthdate is off you will have to check with the original records to see if the Priest made the mistake or if it was transcribed incorrectly.  His wife is with him.  Her information is also here.  
Post 133088

Månsson, Peter Magnus
Torpare (married man)

b. 5/10/1808 in Locknevi, Kalmar län (Småland)

Emigrated 4/4/1868
from Boarp, Tidersrum, Östergötlands län (Östergötland)
to Nordamerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 19

Emibas migration file ID: Tidersrum E 1868 018

2007-01-25, 20:00
Svar #2

linda rosedahl

Sorry I didn't attach her information.
Post 133089

Månsdotter, Fredrika
Hustru (married woman)

b. 3/23/1829 in Djursdala, Kalmar län (Småland)

Emigrated 4/4/1868
from Boarp, Tidersrum, Östergötlands län (Östergötland)
to Nordamerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 19

Emibas migration file ID: Tidersrum E 1868 019

2007-01-25, 22:36
Svar #3

linda rosedahl

Hi,
Since all my grandparents came from and went to Jamestown.  I dug a little further.  The birth date is wrong on emibas. It should be July 22 1809. I found the birth record on Genline GID 98.26.7600. The parents you have are correct. There is not a village index for the year he was born in the Clerical Survey and I don't have the time to look at 175pages.  It can be done. He left the parish in 1857 with his daughter Greta as a widower. GID 98.21.22100.  He married his second wife in Sept 18 1857 according to the Clerical Record.  Notice where they were living in 1868 in Tidersrum Östergötlands. I checked this record GID 391.22.13900 this is page 19 and when they left for America.  I was not able to find the actual marriage record. She came to Tidersum as his wife.  Greta left her father and step mother around 1865 and went to another parish.  
If you live in Jamestown the Fenton Museum has a genline subscription.  Genline often runs specials and they have most of the records that you can order from the family history centers.  You have a lot of information and could easily trace the family back.  Linda

2007-01-26, 05:25
Svar #4

Dean Oberg

Linda,

Thank you very much for the lookups. That gives us a lot more to go on. I was born in Jamestown and raised in Lakewood, but live in Buffalo. I may take advantage of the Fenton Museum's resources, didn't know they had genline.  

I also received some great info directly by email on the ancestry of Mans Hansson from a distant relative in Sweden. It is good to know Peter's 2nd wife Fredricka's actual lastname of Månsdotter. We still don't know when or why they started using Rubin as their lastname.

I am also wondering if the Greta you mention is a second daughter, as we know one of Peter's daughters was Selma Charlotta Petersdotter (my great grandmother). Selma's mother was Cajsa Greta. Selma was married in 1860 and would then have been out of the father's home (maybe).

Thanks again.

Dean

www.obergfamily.org

2007-01-26, 16:02
Svar #5

linda rosedahl

Hi,
I grew up in Jamestown also but now live in the midwest.  Genline will be on tour in May and I know they are making a stop in Jamestown.  They will have experts on genline and genealogy. You might try to go to the one day seminar.  We are hosting them in Minneapolis through the Swedish Genealogical Society.  If I have a chance I will look up more information on Greta.  I'll try and figure out where she went when she left her father and step mother.  As I'm sure you are aware most of our relatives were poor farmers and the children needed to leave home to earn a living.  They often left quite early in life.  As for the name change we all have them in our family.  I have one family that came to Jamestown three brothers all took a different last name.  That one is a real mystery.  Linda

2007-01-26, 19:43
Svar #6

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Jamestown, New York, is easy to research. I have a branch of my family who lived there. The Lakeview Cemetery records have been microfilmed for the earlier years and can be ordered from a Family History Center. The marriage applications are very informative. Newspaper obituaries are very informative in years after 1900 or so(in Swedish papers and in English language papers). There are city directories for several years (at least) with occupations, others in household, etc. The Swenson Center has church records and newspapers, a book about Jamestown, etc. I wish all my relatives were as easy to research as those who lived in Jamestown.

Judy

2007-01-26, 19:44
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I should add that New York had state censuses. Ones I've used are 1892, 1905, 1915, and 1925.

Judy

2007-01-27, 07:29
Svar #8

Dean Oberg

Judy,

Thanks for the additional information.  I have taken advantage of the Lakeview Cemetery records right at the cemetery office.  They will photocopy the death/burial records they have for a small fee and a Lakeview staff person named Sam Genflo has been very helpful. Where do you go for the marriage applications? That would be great. Also I didn't know about the Swenson Center, I'll have to look into that.

Dean

2007-01-27, 15:14
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I found the marriage applications using microfilm from a Family History Center. It has been a long time but I think the records were found in the catalog by looking under the county (Chautauqua). There are other records found in the catalog by looking under Jamestown. I don't think the state censuses are filmed by the Mormon's Family History Library. I found those at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana. (It has the largest genealogical collection in the U.S. if you don't count the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.)

A library in Jamestown finds obituaries, for a small fee. I don't remember which library. I don't think it was the Fenton Library.

At the Swenson Center site, there are listings of the church records and newspapers they have. Newspapers can be borrowed through interlibrary loan but no other records are lent out. You need to go there or have them research for a fee.

There is a microfilm of Swedes living in Jamestown (in the Family History Library Catalog)for about 1911? There is a book about Jamestown in the Family History Library and the Swenson Center has it too. There is an index BUT those mentioned briefly are not in the index. I found my dad's cousins mentioned as some who liked to sled down a certain hill but they weren't in the index. Another relative was mentioned for his butcher shop.

Judy

2007-01-28, 07:26
Svar #10

Dean Oberg

Judy,  

Thanks again for the research information. I wonder if the Jamesown book you refer to is the 'Saga from the Hills' which was written by M. Lorimer Moe (I have a copy).  Lorimer is my dad's cousin and the book was one of my original sources for info on my great grandfather Nils Henrik Åberg (Lorimer's grandfather).  That book was a great resource and had a translated letter from Peter Magnus Månsson to son-in-law Nils Henrik Åberg about his pending emigration.

Dean

2007-01-28, 20:58
Svar #11

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Yes, that is the book. I couldn't remember the title until you mentioned it.

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna