ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Probate Question  (läst 1886 gånger)

2007-08-30, 01:37
läst 1886 gånger

Utloggad Art Berggreen

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 62
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-04-25, 02:16
    • Visa profil
I received some scans of genealogy research notes made by a distant relative in Denmark, taken from the probate registers in Stockholm.  I believe the probate register entries were translated into Danish.  I've included an image of part of the notes.  Am I correct that Agneta Sophia Linnert had a daughter with her first husband Peter Peter Törngren?  That she is age 3 when her father dies and is married to Nils Olin when her stepfather, Lars Svedberg, dies?  Any idea what huspr?dikant means?

Thanks for any help,
art

2007-08-30, 08:31
Svar #1

Bo Johansson

It is correct that Agneta Sophia Linnert had a daughter Eva Beate/Beata with her first husband Peter Törngren, and the daughter was age 3 when her father dies.  Eva Beata is married to Nils Olin when her stepfather, Lars Svedberg, dies.

Huspredikant was a priest who was employed by a noble family for their house.

// Bo Johansson

2011-08-13, 23:35
Svar #2

Utloggad Karen Van Etten

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 131
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-03-05, 07:23
    • Visa profil
barnegods - I've seen this term used in many of the early 1700s Swedish probate records in Skåne.  The literal Danish translation seems to be baby goods.  But what exactly did it mean ?  Example: Åke Rikardsson i Oja barnegods efter bror Sven Persson for syster Bengta Persdotter.  Was Åke investing money for the benefit of the deceased Sven's sister, Bengta?  If so, why wasn't the term 'formyndare' not used ?  Would only relatives perform such investment duty?  Thank you for any help you can give.

Karen Van Etten

2011-08-14, 07:51
Svar #3

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Barnegods is the inheritance received by underage children (from parents or siblings). Usually held in trust for them by a förmyndare

2011-08-14, 11:01
Svar #4

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 234
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-16, 21:10
    • Visa profil
This is a question that I have wanted an answer to for a long time, and quite specifically to know how it came about that a piga becomes named to receive these barnegods, and what they are, and what conditions are attached to the inheritance.  I have studied many bouppteckningar from Halland.  A member of the Halland society some years ago pulled out the information from many bouppteckningar in the region and these extracts and a database on CD are key sources saving much effort for anyone searching to find surviving relatives of any deceased.  In almost all data from bouppteckningar that I have seen (this includes originals, but the extracts seem very accurate), the piga getting the barnegods was not a close relative, and also puzzlingly, a time can be attached.  

For one of particular interest, we see innestående barnegods för Anna Svensdotter i 6 år.  Anna was then 30 years old, the daughter of a deceased friend of the farmer from my research, and unrelated, and the same or following year she married the farmer taking over the farm from the deceased.

So I think there is more to this that Chris has put.

John

(Meddelandet ändrat av Johnb 2011-08-14 11:17)

2011-08-14, 11:23
Svar #5

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Strange! I do see a lot of court cases with disagreements about  barnegods, but they do not give more of an understanding.
This from the Swedish Academy Dictionary:
- BARN-GODS ~². (numera mindre br.) jur. jfr B. (Om) rätter förmyndare ej kan strax nämnas ..; förordhe tå Domaren någon god man, som imedlertid barngodset vårda må. ÄB 20: 7 (Lag 1734). BACKMAN Lags. 6: 302 (1850).

Legal term, if the court cannot appoint a förmyndare they can appoint a good man to care for the barnegods, Law of 1734 (Inheritance section 20:7). Should be the first mention of the term.
But there are court cases from the 17th century naming barnegods.

2011-08-14, 12:30
Svar #6

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Its strange that while barnegods regularly crop up (at least where I have been looking) that no clear description/explanation of the practice of gifting these apparently exists.  I have been looking on a regular basis.

John

2011-08-14, 19:33
Svar #7

Utloggad Karen Van Etten

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Chris and John - I thank you greatly for your comments.  Perhaps the puzzle will be solved in time.  The answer probably lies in some obscure law book dating back to the 1600s !

Karen V.

2011-08-14, 21:25
Svar #8

Utloggad Linda Wikland

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 287
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-11-03, 19:24
    • Visa profil
Hi!
John, I have read your comment about barnegods. The first thing that strikes me is have you checked if the the concerned man was förmyndare or similar for the woman /girl. Such guardianship can last until the girl marry (if she is in her 30's). If he was holder of her legacy she is entiteled to have it before any of his own children get their inheritance.  
Linda

2011-08-15, 09:39
Svar #9

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Linda !

That makes perfect sense.  And it removes any doubts that she really was the daughter of the previously deceased friend of the farmer.  (Others have made different attempts at identifying her - it confirms my conclusion as to who she was, where now overwhelming evidence has been accumulated).

Also I now see how to relate the information on förmyndare and barnegods from other bouppteckningar.  Thank you very much indeed for giving that insight.

John

(Meddelandet ändrat av Johnb 2011-08-15 09:40)

2011-08-16, 05:54
Svar #10

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
The term is barnagods, about which SAOB (Swedish Academy Historic Dictionary) has this to say:
- BARNA-GODS ~². ( barne- G. 1:s reg. (1525), NEHRMAN Jur. civ. Reg. (1746) m. fl.)  
[fsv. barnagoþs, motsv. d. børnegods]
(numera mindre br.) jur. minderårig(a)s medel; jfr -ARF 2. G. 1:s reg. 2: 258 (1525). Så länge Hustrun lefwer och Enkia sitter, då stånde hon barnagodset före. RARP 4: 246 (1649). Förmyndaren är saklös när han vårdar barnagodset, som sitt eget. SCHREVELIUS 3: 363 (1849, 1858) jfr A

Child property, first registered in 1525, later in 1746. Old Norse barnagoþs corresponds to Danish børnegods (nowadays less used) legal, the property of a minor (first reg. 1525). [Examples] As long as the Wife lives and as Widow sits, then she stands before the barnagods (1649) [i.e. the widow's claim has priority]. A guardian acts with impunity when he cares for the barnagods as he would for his own property (1849, 1858)

Guardianships of women and their property did last until the woman married since an unmarried woman wasn't legally competent until 1858/1863 (when unmarried women attained majority at 25). Married women weren't legally competent until 1921. (But widows have always been legally competent.) There were however cases of women going to court to be declared legally competent, on the grounds that the guardian was wasting their property; not too many such demands for dispensation were approved in the 18th century but it became far more common in the early 19th century (a precursor to the 1858/1863 laws).

Also worth noting is that illegitimate children did NOT automatically inherit their parents until very late (19th century for the mother, and then only if she had caused a special note to be entered in the church records, 20th century for the father). Children born to betrothed parents counted as born in wedlock.
So if someone died intestate the person who inherits must be born legitimate. But not necessarily a child of the deceased - it can just as well be a niece/nephew!
If there is a will - not common neither then nor now in Sweden - it should be enclosed in the bouppteckning, and should also be mentioned in the bouppteckning.

Ingela

2011-08-16, 23:35
Svar #11

Utloggad Karen Van Etten

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Ingela - I appreciated that further explanation - it cleared some other questions.  

Karen V.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna