ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Ships from Denmark  (läst 3848 gånger)

2001-08-28, 01:04
läst 3848 gånger

Carol Carlson

I think I may have found my ancestor, Carl Nilson, born 1865 on the Danish Emigration Database.  Now I don't know what to do with the information I have found.

Name:  Carl Nilson
Destination:  Grand Crossing, Ill.
Contract no.:  3062
Registration date:  4/15/1891
Birth place:  Sverrig
Birth place:  ?
Last res. parish:  ?
Last res. county:  -Sverige
Lst residence:  Sverrig
Destination country:  USA
Deestination city:  Grand Crossing
Destination state:  Illinois
Name of ship:  Indirekte
IDcode:  I9091N5210

Did this ship go directly to the USA?  If so, what port?  Did it go to England?

2001-08-28, 20:53
Svar #1

Anders Andersson

Since I'm not familiar with the Danish Emigration Database (where can I find it?) or associated statistics, I can't tell how common it was in 1891 to travel directly from Denmark to America. I believe most emigrants at that time took the route via Britain. However, Copenhagen was an important port also in those days, and your ancestor may very well have stopped over in Denmark rather than in Britain (look ma, no facts).

The interesting part of your database extract is the name of ship field. I understand that ships may have pretty strange names, but indirekte is actually the Danish word for indirect. So, does it mean it was a Danish ship named Indirekte, or did Carl Nilson go to America indirectly via Britain (or possibly, but not likely, some other place), departing on a ship with no name recorded here? I don't know.

Since the Ellis Island records begin only in 1892, I can't find your ancestor in those.

2001-08-29, 18:28
Svar #2

Eva Leksell

The English verion of the Danish Emigration archives could be found here:
www.emiarch.dk/home.php3

I am pretty sure that Indirekte means that the first ship went to Britain for example and that the passengers had to take another ship from there.

Relatives of mine who emigrated in 1870 are also in the database with the same Indirekte ship. And I know that they went to Britain first and then took another ship from Liverpool. The mother in the family wrote a diary from the trip, published as Ida Lindgrens resa till Amerika. But in the database her name is wrongly given as Amalia. The destination is said to be Chicago, Illinois. In fact they ended up in Kansas.

So be a bit suspicous about the information in the database. And do not take it for granted that Carl Nilson spelled his name just like that when he emigrated. It could be Carl Nilsson or Karl Nilsson. But perhaps you have additional facts to guide you to the right person.

2001-08-29, 23:01
Svar #3

Carol Carlson

I figured out after I posted my message yesterday that the word Indirekte means indirect and is not the name of the ship but means he was not going directly to the USA. I hope someone got a smile or a laugh out of that one. I did and the joke was on me.  

I have considered all spellings of this man's name. He is driving me crazy! In the US he went by Charley Nelson. I have found him with his wife and my grandfather as a child in Chicago on both the 1900 and 1910 census. They moved to Idaho when my grandfather was about 16. They traveled back to Sweden to visit when grandpa was only 3 1/2 years old and he remembers visiting his grandfather and going to see the reindeer and his grandfather making sure that the gate was shut. My mother thinks they were in Lappland. Charley Nelson's wife (I have a copy of their marriage certificate from Chicago - 1893) is Henrietta Wilhelmina Häger. She emigrated in 1893 from Karlstads. I found her in the on-line census. I do not know if they knew each other in Sweden. She told the family that her husband was from Gillberga, Värmland, but I have searched those records and cannot find him there. One man who was a close match was married with two children, though he did emigrate in 1891 which is the same year my ggrandfather emigrated. It could be him, but I don't think so.  

I know there is another Gillberga in another county, but I have not checked those records yet.  

Back to the ship question. I have had people check the emigranten c.d. with no luck. There are too many Karl Nilssons and Carl Nilssons and I don't think he had or used a middle name. If he did, I have not seen it on any of the records I have found so far. He always just put Sweden on every record as his place of birth. His birthday, by the way, is October 16, 1865.  

I would appreciate any further advice you might have.  

Carol

2007-05-11, 18:09
Svar #4

Utloggad Sten Persson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 19
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-07-17, 18:02
    • Visa profil
Could it be this man you are locking for?

Nilsson, Karl
Dräng (married man)

b. 11/6/1865 in Gillberga, Värmlands län (Värmland)

Emigrated 2/21/1890
from Häljebol, Gillberga, Värmlands län (Värmland)
to Nordamerika

0791890002 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 250

Emibas migration file ID: Gillberga S 1890 002

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna