ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Soldier Explanation-Johannes Gustaffson Rangman  (läst 553 gånger)

2007-04-10, 17:41
läst 553 gånger

Heather Shepard

Hello!
I received some wonderful help yesterday, which led me to a relative named Johannes Gustafsson Rangman.  According to the household records, I believe he was a soldier and Rangman may have been his military or farm surname.  However, under the name of the village he lived at (Ranglebyn, Kila, Varmland) was the word(s) Soldatstommen No. 92.  Would anyone be able to help me with what that means?  One of his records is on page GID 499.2.90600.  

Any help would be wonderful!  

Thank you!
Heather Shepard

2007-04-10, 22:53
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Soldatstom (with definite article, soldatstommen) means soldier's croft. The term was mostly used by the regiment of Västgöta-Dal, other regiments preferred soldattorp.
The number, 92, meant that it was soldier's croft no 92 (probably no 92 in the company - every company had 150 men - which means 150 soldier's crofts).

The majority of soldiers until 1901 were hired under the allotment system. A small number of farmers (e.g. four) formed a rote and provided a croft and some basic necessities for one man and his family; for this the man had to serve as a soldier (so that the farmers didn't have to). Most of the time the soldier was a crofter like so many others, but now and then he went off to do some training - and of course, before 1814, to go to war.
Retired soldiers had to move out of the croft where they had lived for maybe 20 years; few of them were given pensions. However, if they were very energetic (with a thrifty, strong wife and healthy kids) they had the possibility of building up another croft during the years they served as a soldier. Many learned alternative crafts like tailoring or shoe-making in the army and quite a few were employed as teachers for the youngest children and also wrote letters etc (everybody was required to - and actually could - read, but writing was not thought necessary for the farmers).

Rangman was definitely a soldier's name. It was derived from the name of the village or the rote. When Rangman was discharged he was not supposed to use the name any more (it belonged to the croft), but if he'd had an honourable discharge the name would be used as a courtesy name. Neither his children nor his wife would use it (though by the latter half of the 19th century some children actually started using their father's soldier surname).

If you want to know a lot more about soldiers in the old days, visit this page (it's in English):
http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/slsoldat_eng.htm

Ingela

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna