ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Strömberg, John Sigurd, born 1873 in Osby (?)  (läst 1794 gånger)

2001-06-18, 20:50
läst 1794 gånger

Käll Anghagen

To Sandie

Here is some information from the emigrant and passenger lists, which are to be find at the Emigrantinstitut in Växjö, Sweden.

Cecilia (Sissa) Strömberg  - depart 1879-09-04 from Malmö for Caribou, Maine.

Nils Strömberg - depart 1882-04-06 from Malmö for Caribou Me
and son Bengt.

Svante Strömberg - depart 1884-05-01 from Göteborg for New York.

Sven Joh. Strömberg - depart 1892-03-03 from Malmö for New York.

Olof Persson - no information.

Nothing about John (Johan) Sigurd Strömberg

Emigrantinstitutet has also microfilm of the church records at many places in U.S.A. Following is from the Gustaf Adolph Evangelical Lutheran Church at New Sweden, Maine.

Carl Hjalmar Törnquist b. 1862-10-29 in Ekesjö, Sweden
1st (?) wife
Tilda Strömberg b. 1861-08-10 in Ousby - no date of death
son Carl Edvard b. 1888-10-02 in Caribou d. 1889-07-12
2nd wife - married 1893-06-24
Tilda Ridderborg b. ---- in -----
Carl Edward b. 1894-08-14 in Caribou
Alden Reginald b. 1895-12-31 in Caribou
Hazel Emelia b. 1898-04-30 in Caribou
Anni Otelia b. 1900-07-01 in Caribou

Nils Olof Strömberg b. 1859-07-16 in Ousby, Chr.l.
1st (?) wife - married 1887-04-09
Marta Larsson b. 1863-01-20 in ----  d. 1888-01-10
son Nils Marthin b. 1887-12-24 in Caribou - probably dead
2nd wife - married 1889-02-03
Clara Sofia Ögren b. 1863-05-04 in Nordmaling, Vestb-n

The information probably covers the period 1871-1929. - This two families lived in Caribou, which seems to be a part of the city New Sweden, Maine

Hope this information could be to some help in your research over there.

Regards,
Käll

P.s. I'll write soon about Bertil and other questions. Just now he is on a journey.

2001-06-18, 23:46
Svar #1

Utloggad Susanne Gillenfelt

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 62
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-10-24, 19:58
    • Visa profil
Hi Käll!
I'm working on tracking Sven Joh. from New York to Illinois.  Not an easy task.  I'm working backwards, so it may take a while.

The church info. on the children of Nils & Bengta is so sad!  It looks like life was really tough on the women.  I suspect Matilda died probably too early from the cold and harsh climate there.  And her first and only son only lived about 9 months. Nils Olof's 1st wife died 9 months after they married (probably from childbirth because she died about 2 weeks after giving birth); i wonder if their son survived.  This gives me a good lead though to try and trace the descendants once I hear from you about what Bertil has to say. Thanks.

2001-06-19, 18:58
Svar #2

Käll Anghagen

To Sandie

The ddss-register is a database, which not yet is complete. Today several groups are working with this project. If you for example select Birth, continue with Time period and you get a specification on that material which is done up to now. Therefore you don't get an answer including all socknar of Skåne, Blekinge and Halland.

LDS has microfilmed church records in Sweden. Husförhörslängd (HFL), books of birth (FB), marriage (VB), death (DB) and so on. The HFL is written village after village, family after family, all people which are living in the parish. As a rule information about when and where a person was born, marriage, death, moving in and out at a place, and so on. Every 5th or 10th years new HFL were listed. The FB, VB and DB were kept besides and in chronological order. - Following records you can find:
Osby HFL 1781-   FB.VB.DB 1647-
Knislinge HFL 1861-   FB.VB.DB 1851-
Färlöv HFL 1771-   FB.VB.VB 1690-
Göteryd HFL 1769-   FB 1688-   VB.DB 1689-
The old records of Knislinge were in 1895 destroyed by a fire at the parish office.

I found Sven Johan b. 1874-01-28 and his parents in the HFL at the village Brunkelstorp. Then I could follow the family backwards some years to the parents and grandparents of Elsa Persdotter and get their names and other datas.

Bertil Strömberg is very interested in this case. Now I give him a copy of all correspondence between you and me and others. I think he had more information about his ancestors, especially those of Nils Strömberg. He had a private E-mail at his work as following:

bertil.stromberg@swenova.se

He would be very glad, if you send him a copy of the picture.

Regards,
Käll

2001-06-26, 18:25
Svar #3

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Käll:

Just a quick note to you to once again thank you for all your help.  I've received some very valuable information from you.  Bertil and I have been communicating and I look forward to meeting him someday.  He feels he recognized the woman as his farmor in the picture I sent him.  He's fairly certain, as am I, that we are 2nd cousins.  I continue to try and find information out on Sven Johan/John to track his arrival in America and his first 7 years in USA which are currently a mystery.  My daughter will also check the records you recommended to see if there is a deras mentioned in relation to Sven Johan.  In the meantime, I would appreciate any other information you may have regarding Nils Strömberg's ancestry, on the assumption that he is my ancestor or on Elsa Persdotter. Also, I'm having trouble finding any information on Olof Persson's emigration.  Thanks again.

2001-06-30, 00:24
Svar #4

Käll Anghagen

To Sandie

Conc. Råby Räddningsinstitut.

Now I have visited the archives in Lund and found the records of Olof Persson.
1. he was admited 1889-07-04 (10 years old) but don't because of any crime.
2. nothing about his father.
3. he had written 2 letters from America to the institution, the last 1898 Febr. -- The letters were not to be found at the archives. -- Bad luck.
4. however, those letters confirm that he do had left Sweden for America.
------
I tried to find his depart in passengerlists from Copenhagen, Denmark. Those lists have no information about the Swedish parish, from which the person came. Therefore a very uncertain source.

At last I found Olof in the microfilmed records from the First Lutheran Church, Monmouth, Illinois  --  He is noted as Olof Strömberg, born 1879-03-08, unmarried, arrived 1895 in America, member of the Church 1896-01-03. He left the parish at Monmouth but there are no date and no new home address.
--------
Again I've been a bit careless with the words. In message June 19th I wrote .... Sven Johan ... and his parents ... By that I meant parents = his mother Elsa Persdotter and his stepfather Nils Strömberg. (As we earlier have discussed, it is possible, maybe probable, Nils also was the biological father).
--------
I want to compare my notes about the ancestors of Nils Strömberg and Elsa Persdotter with Bertil's. Then we will send you more information.

Regards
Käll

2001-07-02, 17:21
Svar #5

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Käll:

This last bit of information from you is VERY exciting!!!!!  Finding Olof in Monmouth, Illinois!  That is the same area my grandfather, John Stromberg (most probably Sven Johan) went.  Monmouth is about 15 miles west of Galesburg, (about a 10 minute drive)which is where John met his wife Ida, and then they moved to Kewanee which is about 30 miles north east of Galesburg.  A bit of trivia for you:  Monmouth is the birthplace of Wyatt Earp, a famous sheriff of the Wild West. Movies and television series have been made about him. Kewanee is also just about 10 miles from Bishop Hill, a famous Swedish settlement which is now a restored 18th & 19th century town showing the ways of life of the early settlers from Sweden with museums, shops, etc. A great place to visit.  Its an area of what we call the Midwest, in the country, and warmer climate than Chicago (Chicago is much like Stockholm weather, but has more extreme winters & summers).  The land is very flat around there, there used to be good farming, but also some factories, which is where my grandfather worked in Kewanee.  That town was well known for making the iron radiators that heated our homes - The Kewanee Boilermakers.  My grandpa worked in that factory making pipes.

Its too bad that the Råby didn't have the letters that Olof sent from America.  They would have been so interesting and helpful.  I'm glad to know he wasn't admitted as a criminal!  I shall now search for Olof in America.  I shall let you know of my progress.

I wonder if Bertil knows of any old letters from America.  

It will be very interesting to see how the information compares between your info and Bertil's.  Ciao!  Sandie

2001-07-18, 22:50
Svar #6

Käll Anghagen

To Sandie

Just now I am trying to complete the earlier information about Per Berggren and Per Persson families. Then I found, that Elsa Persdotter Strömberg had a brother, Olof Persson by name, b. 1855-11-13 in Brunkelstorp. He left Osby 1876-09-12 for N. America.
According to the passsenger lists there was a man called Olof Persson, age 21, who departed from Copenhagen 1876-09-22 with destination New York.  --  Could be our Olof but as I have mentioned before, the Copenhagen-lists only have Sverige as residence. Therefore uncertain information.

Regards
Käll

2001-07-19, 22:12
Svar #7

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hi Käll:

Age fits, date of emmigration fits.  Looks like it very likely could be Elsa's brother.  Its too early to check Ellis Island Records for a passenger list.  I will try & see how difficult it would be to view the passenger lists, but it would be very difficult without the name of the ship and approximate arrival date.  Didn't the passenger list indicate the home town of Olof Persson?

Is Bertil still out there?  Last I heard from him he was going to compare information with you and get back to me.  That was July 2nd.  

Thanks,  Sandie

2001-07-20, 22:16
Svar #8

Käll Anghagen

To Sandie

There is no more information about home town than Sverige (Sweden) in the passenger list.
Bertil has vacation from his place of work. Now he is on a holiday-trip. I guess he is back at home next week.

Regards
Käll

2001-07-21, 20:06
Svar #9

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Hej Käll!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I guess I'll just exercise extreme patience in waiting to hear from Bertil.  

Bästa hälsningar

Sandie

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna