ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Unusual marriage entry in Hassela, Gävleborg, 1710  (läst 1013 gånger)

2006-10-15, 05:32
läst 1013 gånger

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Hi all,

Tonight I found the marriage entry for two of my distant ancestors, Pål Pålsson and Anna Staffansdotter. They lived at Stormörtsjön, Torp (Y) but according to her death entry, Anna was born at Kölsjön, Hassela (X). Pål and Anna had several children, the first born in 1711.

I found what seems to be their marriage entry in Hassela C:2, the first for 1710. (GID 596.13.69100, in case you want to it up yourself). I have transcribed it with a little cleaning up of the names.

Midsommars dagen  copularades Pål Pålsson ifrån Stöde i Målyrud och Anna Staffansdotter wid Kölsjön.

Ahem. Well. I've never before seen 'copularades' used as the verb in a marriage entry. Nor did I find any other entry like it in the Hassela vigselbok. All the rest use the term 'vigde'.

I think these are the right people despite that Pål is recorded as from someplace in Stöde. Kölsjön is located where the parishes of Torp, Hassela and Stöde (Y) all meet.

Am I making too much of this? Or, does it indicate that Pål and Anna married by some old-fashioned (perhaps even non-Christian) ceremony? I know that Midsommar is a big festival in Sweden but I'm not aware of any special significance with getting married then.

Also, what date should I record for Midsummers Day 1710? 21 June? Something else?

Thanks for any enlightenment,

Jeff

2006-10-15, 11:27
Svar #1

Utloggad Thomas Sjöndin

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 169
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-22, 16:37
    • Visa profil
Some additional info regarding your question here
http://hem.fyristorg.com/hasselareg/vigde_1706.htm

1710-06-24  
Pål Påhlsson  Stöde i Mälpad        
Anna Stephansdotter  Kiöhlsiön

Mälpad is called Medelpad today.

/Thomas

2006-10-15, 12:28
Svar #2

Utloggad Thomas Sjöndin

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 169
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-22, 16:37
    • Visa profil
Regarding the ceremonial matters: There are a description of a double finn wedding about 100 years later in Värmland (by Gottlund). I'm no expert regarding old weddings but it wouldn?t be too far-fetched to assume that there are greek-orthodox and possibly even pre-Christian details in this ceremony.
I don't think this has anything to do with the choice of word you mention.
/Thomas

2006-10-15, 16:39
Svar #3

Utloggad Kerstin Farm

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 475
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-03-17, 20:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.farm.se
The word copulerades is often used in the marrige books in the 1700 hundreds. It is an old word driven from the latin copulatio = join together.  

Best Regard

Kerstin Farm

2006-10-16, 00:45
Svar #4

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Jeff,

Today the most popular time for weddings in Sweden is Whitsun (50 days after Easter, which usually means May, or early June).
In the old days, in the country, the most popular time for weddings was late autumn and early winter: this was the dead season for farmers, they had very little to do, and also it was the best time of the year for travelling - roads being what they were in those days. And if it comes to pigor and drängar they were hired from Mickelsmäss to Mickelsmäss (Sept 27) in the 18th century (this was moved to a week later in the late 18th century since this suited the workload on the farms better); it was certainly possible to break an employment contract (by substituting another piga/dräng) but it was easier to wait for the term to end.

But there have of course always been exceptions, for various reasons (the most common no doubt being a pregnant bride), and your ancestors' wedding on a Midsummer's Day was certainly the best alternative if it had to be a summer wedding. Weddings were quite often celebrated in connection with a church holiday since nobody worked then and everybody that could possibly make it was at church anyway. And Midsummer may today be mostly connected with summer solstice and getting roaringly drunk (very Viking) but it is of course the day of St. John the Baptist.

In 1710 a church wedding was probably already the most common form of wedding, although not yet legally binding. Church weddings did not become legal until 1734; before this the legal form was a contract between the bride's and bridegroom's families - what after 1734 evolved into trolovning (public, official betrothal). Before 1734 the church ceremony was simply a blessing - but only regular Lutheran church weddings were written down in the marriage book. So no fun, scandalous, pagan ceremonies for ancestors Pål and Anna. Or, at least not in church - but there were plenty of traditions surrounding country weddings that of course go back to pre-Christian times; the church tried, with very little success, to curb these traditions.

Copulera is just as Kerstin describes it, only the infinitive is of course copulare in Latin (copulatio is the first person singular (I join)) - in English copulare is of course also the root of couple.

Thomas,
In 1810 a wedding - even in Värmland, for Finns - was a regular Lutheran wedding as far as the church ceremony went (even if not celebrated in church, which was quite common), but the traditions around it could have taken any form.

Ingela

2006-10-16, 04:49
Svar #5

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Thomas, Kerstin & Ingela!

Thank you very much for the useful information. I greatly appreciate all your responses.

Thomas: The hint about Mälpad=Medelpad is very welcome. I simply could not decipher the name I wrote as Målyrud. I knew that wasn't right but I couldn't find any place that matched. The landskap never occurred to me because I had never seen the archaic spelling of Medelpad before. There is always something new to learn in these old records! But, you've put me more at ease that I found the right entry.

Kerstin, Ingela: After getting over the initial surprise, I had decided that 'copularades' must have an archaic meaning that wasn't in my dictionary. I was pretty certain the meaning was close to couple, as you say, Ingela. And thank you especially, Ingela, for the essay on marriage customs.

I still don't understand why the priest decided to write this one entry different from all the rest in the vigselbok. I suppose that will remain forever a mystery.

Thanks again to all.

Kindest regards,
Jeff

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna