ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Choosing your children's names  (läst 1586 gånger)

2000-05-28, 03:53
läst 1586 gånger

Ishbel Cormack

Has it been the custom to follow a pattern in giving the first name (given name)to your children in Sweden? In England I think a first son would be given the first name of his grandfather on his father's side. The second son would be named after the grandfather on his mother's side, and so on. There was also a pattern to follow with the daughters.

2000-05-28, 23:07
Svar #1

Utloggad Stig Geber

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1302
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-22, 17:51
    • Visa profil
Ishbel,
the same pattern could often be found here too.
Best regards Stig Geber

2000-05-29, 19:24
Svar #2

Ishbel Cormack

Stig:Thanks for answering. Ishbel

2000-05-30, 09:01
Svar #3

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 520
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-07, 14:22
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Hi Ishbel,

There has been many discussions at this website whether there is a naming tradition like the one you suggest or not in Sweden.
Traditions were the first child was given the same first name as the paternal grandfather's etc.
However, there is no statistical proof that support that theory. It might be true is some families for a couple of generation or in a smaller area for limited period of time.
In general there is no such tradition in giving first names to children.

I have not done any research in this area my self, but maybe some one else could give more information in this matter?

Hans

2000-05-30, 12:56
Svar #4

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
Hi!
I would say that there has been such a tradition in Sweden. During my 35 years of genealogical research I have found this pattern in almost every family. It differs on whether it is the fathers or the mothers ancestors names that has been first given , but only a few has not reused their ancestors names at all.
Regards     Sven-Ove Brattström
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2000-05-30, 23:53
Svar #5

Kristina Hard

I think, if you look to modern traditions, there is a fashion where sons are inheriting the names of their great grandfathers and the daughters inheriting the great grandmothers names. Today we are skipping one generation to benefit the older ones. Maybe because nowadays everyone live much longer as an average? What about UK?

2000-05-31, 01:24
Svar #6

Ishbel Cormack

Kristina,Sven-Ove and Hans:thank you. I mentioned UK because I have relatives from there but I am a Canadian. In my modern family there does seem a trend away from naming after family.I like the idea of naming after the great grandparents.
I am trying to figure out possible names for some Swedish family 1725 and earlier and a grandfather's father.The grandfather changed his name when he went to the USA.  
Ishbel

2000-06-01, 10:22
Svar #7

Johan Hurtig

Hi Ishbel

I would say it's very dangerous to assume that a grandfather or a greatgrandfather would have the same name as their grandson. Maybe the one you think is the first born son is the second and would then have a different name than the family-inherited name.  
A safer bet to deduce the name of the ancestor is to use the patronymikon, that is the kids got their fathers name as a familyname(father: Per Larsson - Son: Sven Persson ). But I really don't like this as a proof, but it's a good help in the search. I never present a father as Per NN if I just have a son named Sven Persson.

Best Regards Johan Hurtig

2000-06-01, 16:58
Svar #8

Utloggad Carl-Fredrik Hanzon

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1959
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-08-09, 16:27
    • Visa profil
Good Afternoon!

I quite agree with Stig and Sven-Ove (but not with Hans) that this pattern has been a very strong institution in the swedish namegiving tradition. It was, I would say, the main priciple for name-giving in all the social groups from kings to crofters and beggars until the period ca 1850-90, when the industrialism and urbanization more or less totally changed our social and cultural way of life.  

In the same period the tradition of patronymica disappered, and was replaced by family names, that often was the previous generation´s patronymicon unchanched.

There was, however, some exeptions from the general pattern:

1) If the paternal grandfather was still alive, when the first son was born, one could instead chose the maternal grandfather´s name, or (rather often) the paternal great-grandfather´s name (the result is similar to the ex. Kristina is refering to). And of course, the same thing goes for the grandmother´s name. The original principle was that only dead persons could be renamed, but this became more and more disregarded.

2) If the father or the mother had been married before, the first daugther or son of the second marriage was often named after the late wife/husband.

3) If the father (or the family) had remarkably changed the social position, f.ex. was graduated or was nobilited, a finer or more suitible name could be given. But the chosen name could often have a  or the same origin as the grandfather´s / grandmother´s name., f.ex. the latinized form Nicolaus instead of Nils.

4) If the grandfather/grandmother had a very old-fashioned name; f.ex. the archaic nordish names, like the ones we can find on the Rune-stones, another, more modern name could be chosen, but, even in this case, the chosen name had often a certain resemblance to the refused one, or beginning with the same letter.

2000-06-02, 13:50
Svar #9

Pia Stråhle Nichols

Ishbel,
You question of giving your child a Swedish name tickled me. Married to an American, when I was big with our first child I would suggest Swedish family names. My husband would then give the name a nick name that might be used here. It got very funny. We settled for Lars or Maria both being family names I love. (The unborn child was nicknamed Lasse Maja by my father. Lasse Maja was the last Swed, executed in 1912 - if I remember right)
Our Lars got an American middle name used in my husbands family for 6 generations. In school I know he sometimes was called Lars from Mars, but he took that with good humor.
By all means do use the beautiful Swedish names so often carried through generations. It's part of who they are and part of their history.
Good luck to you!
Pia

2000-06-03, 01:45
Svar #10

Ishbel Cormack

Thank you all for your interesting answers.I just recently found out about my Swedish ancestry and there is so much to learn.
Ishbel

2002-12-11, 09:03
Svar #11

Erika English

I would say there is a difference in the naming  
patterns though. In England a boy child would  
be (or would have been in the old days)  
named after his father or/and paternal  
grandfather but his seccond name would  
quite often be his maternal grandfathers last  
name,  the childs mothers maiden name.  
For example Mary  Smith nee Burn and James  
Smith has a son and he is then named  
James Burn Smith.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna