ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish sailors  (läst 815 gånger)

2010-02-13, 19:29
läst 815 gånger

Utloggad Mary Nelson Keithahn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 81
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-01-17, 06:45
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
My grandfather, Anders Nilsson (anglicized to Andrew Nelson when he immigrated to Minnesota in 1885) was born in Hjarsas in 1857.  He became a sailor at the age of 19, and we were told he sailed with the British Merchant Marine for seven years.  This would have been between 1876 and 1883. According to one obituary I have, he had been a tea-sampler for an American company in China,worked in South Africa, hunted whales in Alaskan waters, and was also in Australia, Japan, and Europe. I cannot verify the source of this information, and assume he told these tales to friends.  (He died before I was born and my father just said he had sailed around the world.)  Was it common for young Swedish men to join the British Merchant Marine? Where would he have gone to do this? Where could I find out more about the ship? A descendant of his mother's sister sent me a picture of a sailor that was in her grandmother's album without a name.  We wonder if it could be Anders/Andrew.  There is writing on the cap but I can't read the letters.  The photo was taken at the studio of Harold Cohen at Gothersgade 41, and I think that was in Copenhagen. Would there be any way to tell if he is wearing a Swedish navy uniform or British Merchant Marine uniform? I would be grateful for any leads.

2010-02-21, 13:22
Svar #1

Utloggad Bo Nordenfors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5383
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 14:38
    • Visa profil
Emigration record for Anders Nilsson:

Post 402737

Nilsson, Anders
Sjöman=sailor (unmarried man)

b. 8/16/1857 in Hjärsås, Kristianstads län (Skåne)

Emigrated 3/10/1885
from Hjärsås 9, Hjärsås, Kristianstads län (Skåne)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 77

Emibas migration file ID: Hjärsås L 1885 004

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna