ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: A glossary to be used by non-swedish genealogists.  (läst 4066 gånger)

1999-06-22, 02:00
läst 4066 gånger

Utloggad Antti Alfthan

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 99
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-10-09, 09:50
    • Visa profil
There's been a discussion on this arena concerning how bonde or torpare etc should be translated for non-swedish use. It is meant for swedish genealogists - as the site of course mainly is - to find out their proper words to be used in British / American English translations.  
My suggestion is somewhat a contrary. Non-swedish readers, though capable of reading these pages but having trouble with the special and often ancient words used here ore more often in the source text do have a need - in my opinion - of a handy glossary. We know the problem of how hard it is to keep explaining bonde for someone who is not familiar with the history of a northern, rather independent peasant, also knowing his rights and hence using them, compared with a british clown v.s. freeman, or with russian souls. And that the background is different in Danmark.  
About topics like above I'd love see the glossary - somewhere here (here you are, dear editord!) within foreign users. - Suggestions?
And the contents... Oh what the swedes love discussing, just like the russians. Pelase take a tour around to see the central points of trouble.  
After having been discussed thoroughly, I understand I'd be done in a few days, supposing the contributors agree in using their texts and the supremacy of an editor in charge.  
Looking forward: southwestwards from my point.
Hello to everyone!
Antti

1999-08-06, 00:47
Svar #1

Utloggad JoLeen Randolph

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 53
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-04-06, 15:27
    • Visa profil
Antti,

I have purchased a book called Swedish Genealogical Dictionary.  The Dictionary was compiled by Phyllis J. Pladsen and Joseph C. Huber.  In this dictionary bonde is translated farmer or peasant and torpare is translated crofter, cottager, or peasant.

JoLeen in Minnesota, USA

2000-02-14, 07:53
Svar #2

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
The Swedish Genealogical Dictionary is indeed usable, but, like all dictionaries, should be handled with care. There are occasional misprints and mistranslations, here and there are Danish entry words not marked as such etc.
However, it is the best English-Swedish glossary for genealogists that exists so far.

Heikki

2000-02-14, 07:54
Svar #3

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
Correction: I should have written Swedish-English, of course.

Heikki

2000-02-14, 11:08
Svar #4

per

I think the discussion about the two Swedish words ”bonde” and ”torpare” is quite interesting.
The word ”bonde” should  of course be translated with ”farmer”. You find this in most dictionaries and glossaries. In modern Swedish though, that word has been changed to ”jordbrukare”. Today in Sweden you usually don’t call a person ”bonde”. You should say ”jordbrukare”. As far as I know this change of words does nor reflex on the English expression ”farmer”. It is farmer also today. Or??
I think it is rather useless to analyse the word every time it is translated. To be a farmer in Sweden three hundred years ago is not the same as to be a farmer two hundred or one hundred years ago. Nevertheless the word ”bonde” is the same as farmer regardless to which century we talk about.

The Swedish word ”torpare” seems to be translated to crofter most of the time. A ”torpare” is a man who has got a ”torp” that is a croft. According to an very nice old dictionary I have , it is called Chambers’s Twentieth Century Dictionary , croft is ”a kind of small farm” and that is exactly what it also is in Sweden. It does not say WHAT kind.  
Many young Swedes today do not know what an old ”torpare” was. They have a vague idea of ”torpare” to be some kind of a small scale farmer, or an amateur farmer. Some Swedes today are inclined to call all small, old houses in the country side a ”torp”.  
There are no ”torpare” in Sweden today. Not in the old well established meaning. Around the 1860 the number of ”torpare” was about one hundred thousand (100.000). Those people had a piece of land belonging to a large farm or estate. They paid an annual fee, by working for the farmer or estate owner. They had to do a certain number of ”dagsverken” (a day’s work) every year. This system ceased in 1943, it was then prohibited by law.

Per

2000-06-04, 21:55
Svar #5

Wicklund

My ancestors lived around Vestå, Indals Liden,  
Medelpad, Vasternorrland from about 1860 till  
1892-93 when they emmigarated to the USA.
Pehr Wiklund and wife Brita Cajsa stayed in the  
above mentioned area till their deaths I beleive.  
His son Jacob Petter and wife and children  
emmigrated in June-July l893. Jacobs son Peter  
emigrated in June 1892. Where and what can I learn  
about where they lived, on a farm or what. How do  
I get birth certificates for them? Where did they  
sail from? Any information greatly app

2000-06-04, 22:40
Svar #6

Carl Szabad

Wicklund! Per Wiklund was born 1825 in Lockne in the district of Jämtland. His wife Brita Kajsa Jonsdotter was born 1820 in Brunflo in the district of Jämtland. In 1890 they lived in the village Västanå in Indals-Liden according to the census of Västernorrland 1890.

2000-06-05, 12:20
Svar #7

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 519
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-27, 09:40
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Here is some more information on torpare:  
Yes, a torpare could be definded as a small-scale farmer but there is a major difference between a farmer and a torpare.  
A torpare (crofter) was a tenant and therefore did no own the land he was farming. He paid the rent for the land to the landowner in form of a certain amount of days worked per year. Days worked or daily labor meant that the tenant had to do a certain number of full days' work per year on the landowner's land or estate as a payment for the tenancy.
The torp (croft) was always connected to a lager farm or an estate.
The crofter was part of a system with agricultural laborers that lived on the domains of the landowner but had his own croft and some land to farm. In return the crofter paid his tenancy by doing agricultural work for the landowner. This system with torpare was not abolished until 1945.

Hans

2000-08-07, 01:38
Svar #8

Duane Wicklund

My gggrandfather, Per Wiklund, born 31 Oct 1820  
and his wife Brita Kajsa Jonsd are listed in the  
husforhorslangd records for Westanå as living  
there in 1896. Where would his death be recorded?  
Indals-Liden judicial distr

2001-01-07, 00:24
Svar #9

Joyce Todd

On LDS microfilm of Askersund stadsfösamling
1866-70 film Al:16 for ancestor Frans Gust. Oskar Pettersson (f. 14 Dec 1851) there are  these words:Larf.hor Holm before his name.  That is, if I have read it correctly. (page 13 Garden No. 11 & 12) What does it mean?  Also on the right hand side of the page under  Bevestat Förhör och begåt H H.Nattvard there are dates 15/8 68, 15/8 69 and 25/8 70.  What meaning is this?  Can someone tell me.
On another page under frajd och enskilda antechninger there is notation El.Sh 18/l 1866.
I am finding this very difficult without help!

2001-01-07, 14:26
Svar #10

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 10:33
    • Visa profil
Joyce Todd

The meaning of Larf hor Holm escapes me. Larf is a name, but of place or person? There is a parish Larv (Larf, Larfv) some 83 miles southwest of Askersund town. Hor is an ancient word for adultery, but can be an abbreviation. Holm is a name, can be of a place or a person.
Your second problem is easier. Bevestat Förhör etc.  means Attended examination and taken the Holy Communion.  
Third notation frajd etc. means Character and Specific Notations

2001-01-07, 14:29
Svar #11

Utloggad Jan Jutefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4731
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-07-06, 10:38
    • Visa profil
Hi Joyce,

I can't explain the first one.  
2nd: Gården no 11 & 12 means: The house no 11 & no 12.
3rd: Bevistat förhör och begått H H Nattvard means: Been present at hearing and got the Holy Communion at this dates.
4th: Sorry, I can't explain this date. It might has something to do with confirmation. It is the right age.

2001-01-07, 16:21
Svar #12

Joyce Todd

2003-01-24, 04:25
Svar #13

Ro Aprill

My Gr Grandfather Ole P Ringdahl was born in Öved parish M-County.1857-11-04.Settled in Litchfield,MInnesota much of his life. Is locating his birth certificate the only way to locate his parents? He had a brother Olof Nagnus Petersson Ringdahl  1852-07-13 Malmö M-County.

2003-01-25, 03:34
Svar #14

Helen Butler

Ro,
The following is from the Minnesota Death index.  You can send for his death certificate and that should list his parents names along with other information on the individual.  Ova is probably Ole.  Litchfield is in Meeker County.

RINGDAHL, OLA P.  
 CertID# 1937-MN-008531      
    Date of Birth:
 Place of Birth:
 Mother Maiden Name:   not indexed
 not indexed
 not indexed
  Date of Death:
 County of Death:   08/30/1937
 MEEKER

2003-01-25, 03:48
Svar #15

Helen Butler

Ro, This is the link to the Minnesota Death Index.  I forgot to include it.

http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm

2003-04-25, 19:55
Svar #16

K Yates

Looking for info on an Uncle Jonas Persson B 6/2/1878 Ballsta Jamtland Sweden.  I am from his brother Olofs family settled in Belgrade,Nicollet Co MN  .

2003-04-25, 22:07
Svar #17

Bo Johansson

This doesn't seem to be the right place for this question, but anyway, in the 1890 census for Jämtland there is one Jonas born 1878 in Bällsta:
 http://www.foark.umu.se/census/z/personal.asp?lannr=23&forsnr=46&pnr=152

No brother Olof is mentioned there, but if this is the right family, maybe Olof had already left home and lived somewhere else.

// Bo Johansson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna