ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Avliden i förgiftning, begravd i tysthet.  (läst 2393 gånger)

2005-01-17, 15:10
läst 2393 gånger

John Anderson

Died of poisoning, buried quietly?  Would this indicate a suicide?  It seems to me I read elsewhere on this forum that those who committed suicide would not be buried in the church cemetery but somewhere on the outskirts of town.

Does it sound to you like this is what happened in this case?  

P.S.  I could not find s definition for tysthet, so I am guessing at the meaning.

Thank you all,

John

2005-01-17, 16:26
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
John, that looks like you have got it correctly.

Tysthet = silence, quietly

If he had been poisoned by somebody else, there would have been remarks about it.

2005-01-17, 17:41
Svar #2

John Anderson

Thank you Elisabeth for the confirmation.  Very interesting indeed.

John

2005-01-18, 12:43
Svar #3

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 519
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-27, 09:40
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
I guess that ”begrav i tysthet” meant that it was a quite funeral with only the closest family present.

People that had committed suicide weren't allowed to be buried at the church cemetery. Instead they were to be buried by the “bödel” (hangman) somewhere else. If the suicide was committed due to mental derangement, someone other than the hangman was allowed to bury the dead, however not at the church cementry.
From 1864 the church agreed bury people at the cementry even if they had committed suicide, but the ceremony had to be i stillhet (quite). From 1894 this type of burials could be performed as any burials.
Source: Nationalencyklopedin.
Hans Högman

2005-01-20, 12:49
Svar #4

John Anderson

Hej Hans,

Thanks for the input. In light of the fact that it says he died by poisoning, do you think it was most likely a suicide?  Or should I not make that assumption?  Your input is greatly appreciated.

John

2005-01-20, 17:38
Svar #5

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
John, do you have the period of time when this happened?
“avliden i förgifning” simply means, as you suggest; died of poisoning. However, from this short phrase it is almost impossible to draw any conclusions how he died. Was he submitted to a felony, was it an accident or was it suicide?
Is there more text in Swedish or is it just this phrase? Where did you find this text, in the death book or Hfl?
If this death took place between 1864 and 1894 the quite funeral could indicate suicide. However, you could have a quite funeral in the 19th century even without a suicide, I guess.
Hans

2005-01-20, 18:03
Svar #6

John Anderson

Here is the whole paragraph:

Anders Johannesson. Hemmansbrukare. Born 1803-02-24 in Strömhult
     Slätthög (G) (Kgf). Died 1859-09-08 in Fällorna Slätthög (G)
     (Kgf). Arrendator, Fällorna Slätthög. Avliden i förgiftning,
     begravd i tysthet.

So the year was 1859.

John

2005-01-20, 18:49
Svar #7

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
As mentioned above, a suicide in 1859 was not allowed to be buried at the church cemetery. The phrase “begravd i tysthet” indicates that there was a funeral ceremony at the church which, in my opinion, means that he was buried at the church cemetery. That should mean that he wasn't a suicide. However, this is my speculation. Anyone else who has an idea?
Hans

2005-01-20, 22:01
Svar #8

Utloggad Siv Nauman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 330
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-04-24, 22:33
    • Visa profil
Here is the full text.

regards
Sivan

2005-01-20, 22:10
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
It sometimes happened that when people committed suicide, the local district court or the bailiff (länsman) were asked to decide if the person could be buried decently anyway.  

If the court or the bailiff decided that the suicide was committed while of unsound mind, they could give a permit for a begravning i tysthet, quiet burial, but still in sacred ground.

I have now checked the Slätthög Death records and my theory seems to be correct, as he was buried i
tysthet according to a resolution, a decision by someone (does not say whom).

2005-01-20, 23:42
Svar #10

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
I think begravd i tysthet means that there was no bell-ringing allowed (though today the meaning of the expression has shifted towards a generally low-profile burial). I base my assumption on what I've read in a recent book about Swedish culture in the middle ages, Signums svenska kulturhistoria: Medeltiden. It has a full 20 pages on bell-ringing practices and their significance, from the middle ages and on.  

In the book there's a section named Burial without bells, and in short it says that a person who committed suicide couldn't be buried in the churchyard, nor would there be any bell-ringing for him/her. The book says that the lack of bell-ringing was considered a substantial punishment, and that relatives sometimes tried to conceal the suicide so that the bells would be rang. From 1684 and on, if suicide was suspected it was the judge who determined if there had to be a quiet burial, and in that case no bell-ringing was allowed. These conditions were valid until 1908 (in some cases 1894). For those who'd died while committing a serious crime, the conditions applied up to 1951.

So, the book seems to back up Elisabeth's conclusions above.

2005-01-21, 05:38
Svar #11

John Anderson

This is all very fascinating.  Thank you all for your input.  I only wish I could find out the details behind his death and what drove him to such a way out, if in fact that is what he did.  I guess those details are probably lost forever to time.

I did find the information about the bell-ringing very interesting.  That would explain the phrase in tysthet.

Thank you all again,

John

2005-01-21, 09:45
Svar #12

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
John,  

If the decision was made by the local district court, it's probably documented in the judgment book (Dombok) of the district.

2005-01-21, 15:21
Svar #13

John Anderson

Thanks Anna.

Would I contact the parish archives to find that information?

John Anderson

2005-01-21, 18:05
Svar #14

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
The parish archives have never kept judicial records as far as I know - only the church's own records. I understand that Dombok microfiche can be borrowed or bought from SVAR (the national archives). I don't know if there are other access options; I've never gotten so far as to read judicial records myself yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who can give you more information.

2005-01-21, 21:40
Svar #15

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Slätthög belonged in the old days to Allbo härad (legal district) in Kronoberg county. The records for Allbo härad are kept in the Provincial Archives (Landsarkivet) of Vadstena, Sweden.  

They are also available on microfilm through the Mormon Family History Centers until around 1840 (check the catalog at Familysearch), and on microfiche through the Swedish SVAR institution for the same years.

2005-01-22, 02:56
Svar #16

John Anderson

Thank you Anna and Elisabeth,

We have a family history center very near where I live.  I will look into borrowing the microfilm there or buying it from SVAR if that is possible.

John Anderson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna