ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Velborna  (läst 1236 gånger)

2004-03-11, 20:50
läst 1236 gånger

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Hi, all.

I believe the subject line has the modern spelling of this word. I have also seen older spellings like welborna and welborne.

As I search the church records, I sometimes see velborna used as some sort of personal title (for instance, Welborna Herr ...). Invariably that person uses a true surname rather than the patronymic.

What is the exact meaning of velborna? When would it be used and by whom? Surprisingly, I have not been able to discover a translation, even in otherwise excellent sources like Sweggate and Cradled In Sweden.

I'm guessing this translates to something like the English term well-born (vel = well), denoting birth into a noble family. This seems plausible considering that on occasion I've encountered a unmistakable noble title (Baron, for example) attached to a velborna family member. That's probably only a rough translation. I hope someone can explain the nuances associated with this word.

These people interest me. I haven't confirmed any velborna members in my direct-line ancestors (yet) but they appear on the fringes. I have found a couple instances of velborna folks marrying a relative off the direct line.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

2004-03-11, 21:57
Svar #1

Anna-Carin Betzén

The modern spelling would be välborne or välborna (different inflections for males and females). According to my dictionary, it translates to honourable. I leave the explanation of its use to those who are more knowledgable than myself.

2004-03-12, 09:38
Svar #2

Utloggad Anders Ryberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2648
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-08-23, 23:49
    • Visa profil
It basicly means they are nobles of some sort.

2004-03-12, 12:43
Svar #3

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 520
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-07, 14:22
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
According to Norstedts English Dictionary välborne/välborna translates into the Honourable .. and högvälborne/högvälborna into the Right Honourable ..

The title the Honourable was carried by younger sons of counts (earls in the UK) and by children of barons plus by ladies-in-waiting (hovdamer), members of the Supreme Court (högsta domstolen ) and by certain government officials etc.

The title the Right Honourable was carried by counts (earls in the UK) and barons etc.

The dictionary makes references to Britain so I guess this title originates in the UK.
Hans Högman

2004-03-12, 14:55
Svar #4

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Honourable= 1. Deserving or winning honour and respect; creditable an honourable deed 2. Bestowing honour;bringing distinction or recognition; an honourable burial. 3. Possessing and characterised by honour; for Brutus is an honourable man(Shakespeare). 4. Consistent with honour or good name; the only honourable course. 5. Capital H.Abbr.Hon. a.Used with the as a title of respect for certain high officials. b. British. Used with the as a courtesy title for the children of barons and vicounts and the younger sons of earls. c. British Used in the House of Commons as a title of respect when speaking of another member.

Maybe an alternative word for 'välborne/välborna' could be well-born= Coming of good stock; especially, born of a noble family.

The above is taken from 'Reader's Digest Universal Dictionary'.  

Ann Little

2004-03-12, 15:16
Svar #5

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Hej,

Many thanks to all who responded and confirmed my notion that välborna/e is a title reserved for nobility. Thanks also for correcting my spelling ;-). I knew about the e -> ä revision in many Swedish words but didn't think to apply it here. My little Swedish-English dictionary really wasn't up to the task on this problem.

MVH
Jeff

2007-04-14, 07:06
Svar #6

carriejo

Jämtland, Fors. 1693-1742 Liber Catechumenourm 118.1.53100 1737-1736  I have seen this Word this these recrods  It has the word Soror in front of this. What does it mean?
And these words
ancillia
sevg.
serar (Sp)
Any help apprecicated

2007-04-14, 20:43
Svar #7

Utloggad Matz-Ola Cajdert

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 20
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-07-22, 17:50
    • Visa profil
This is latin: soror=sister, ancilla=female servant (probably equals piga in Swedish)

Best regards,

Matz-Ola Cajdert

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna