ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Identity of Possible Navy Uniform about 1830  (läst 1551 gånger)

2002-04-07, 19:59
läst 1551 gånger

John Kleberg

I have a photo of a person thought to be family in what I think is a Navy uniform. I am trying to identify the uniform, period, and person. It is possible it is family from Onsala Parish, born 1795 and died 1872. Served as rotebatsman in Norra Hallands lan rote batsman company in the 1820's and retired from military. His name is Johan Benjamin Larsson, called (Smedman) after military service.

I will attempt to post the photo.

2002-04-07, 20:48
Svar #1

Utloggad Rolf Ström

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 175
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-09-04, 20:30
    • Visa profil
    • hem2.passagen.se/mrwalker/index.htm

Hej!
Här är bilden på uniformen som John Kleberg enligt ovan vill ha hjälp med att identifiera.
mvh Rolf

2002-04-07, 22:46
Svar #2

Utloggad Sören Andersson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 113
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-11-04, 20:34
    • Visa profil
This person is probably born around 1870. He cannot be born as early as 1795.

2002-04-08, 08:21
Svar #3

Bo Johansson

The photogrpher seems to be Axel Sjöberg & Co in Karlsborg. Karlsborg is not at the coast, but by lake Vättern in Västergötland.
I wonder what kind of soldier would have a sword like that. Could he have been an engineer soldier at Karlsborg Fortress?

// Bo Johansson

2002-04-08, 11:50
Svar #4

Nina M. Nordby

Axel Sjöberg & co started as a photographer in 1885 and was still a photographer in 1899.

The owner of this firm was Alfred Sjöberg who also seems to be the owner of Alfred Sjöberg in Karlstad (opened in 1887, still operative in 1911)He was also a photographer for his Royal Highness.

2002-04-08, 15:20
Svar #5

Nina M.Nordby

Sorry it should be Karlsborg and not Karlstad

2002-04-09, 23:27
Svar #6

John Kleberg

This is good information, thank you. This photo is from part of the family that lived in Goteborg. I have some information that talks about a career soldier, Johan Benjamin Larsson, born in Kungsbacka 1795 and died 1872. It is now clear it could not be him. His son, however, is Anders Mikael Smedman, born 1847 in Rosan, Onsala Parish, and died in 1924. I have older pictures of him, about 1922, but nothing as a young man. Maybe it is he during his military service? He lived in Goteborg and was a glazier by trade. This is a very good and helpful discussion group. Thank you all for helping me with this project.

John

2002-04-10, 10:53
Svar #7

Nina M. Nordby

Why don't you send us the older photo too so that we could compare them?

Do you know the origin of the Smedman name? I guess thats the name he received as a soldier.
SMED=blacksmith, MAN =man

2002-04-10, 22:39
Svar #8

Utloggad Rolf Ström

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi John,
Rösan was a båtsmansrote no 11 serving for Norra Hallands 1st Båtsmans-Company, so Anders Mikael Smedman was probably a mariner (båtsman). I agree with Nina that Smedman probably was his soldier name.

2002-04-16, 19:14
Svar #9

John Kleberg

Rolf:  So Rosan is the military company and not a place? I had assumed that it was a farm or village of some smaller size. Smedman was the military name. Larsson was his birth name, see original note. Appreciate all the help.

2002-04-22, 20:52
Svar #10

Utloggad Rolf Ström

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi John,
Rösan is a name of a village or/and the farm. The farmers of Rösan were responsible to set up and supply one mariner.  
The old Swedish system organizing and financing the Swedish navy was similar as the system for the army called 'Indelningsverket', a unic Swedish system. The parishes in administrative county districts in the coastal area were divided into units with 1-3 farmers, and a unit or station was called 'rote' or 'båtmansrote' (a mariner 'rote'). The Company, Norra Hallands Båtmans-Kompani, was divided into 289 'rotar' or stations and the 'rote' number 11 was Rösan in Onsala parish. The name of the rote was often also name of the village or the farm that was responsible for this naval unit. I have written more about this military system (the Allotment system) in the following adress: http://hem.passagen.se/mrwalker/military_b.htm
Regards
Rolf

2002-10-31, 16:12
Svar #11

p

It is not a navy uniform but an army uniform from late 1800. I don remember the uniform code but it is before m/1886 anyway. The sword is a knife carried by all private soldiers kalled Faschinkniv in Swedish.

It could also be a uniform from the Coast Artillery since they carried uniform similiar to the army. I am not sure about that.

It would be nice if you put in your full name in the box for 'Användarnamn' in the future, not just a 'P'..

2002-12-08, 21:53
Svar #12

John Kleberg

I continue to search for an association of the person or military unit. Did different regiments or companies have different uniforms? For example, a question about the cuff marking, is that a branch mark (army, navy) rank, or specific to a particular organization?

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna