ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Charles J. Anderson  (läst 1450 gånger)

2004-08-18, 00:05
läst 1450 gånger

Kent Nelson

Hello,

I am trying to trace my family history in Sweden. A starting point would seem to be Charles J. Anderson's (my great grandfather) birth date/place in Sweden and his parents' names. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

He was born in Sweden in 1877 or 1878; the 1910 US Census says '77, the 1920 US Census says '78. I don't know what his exact name was in Sweden (Charles, Carl or Karl Andersson?), but he emigrated to America (Minnesota, I think) in 1887. Unfortunately, I have no information about his father, mother, or siblings whom he must have emmigrated with.

His wife's (my great grandmother) name and ancestry are also interesting. Her name was Cena Wernlund, which sounds Swedish. I don't know the meaning of wern, but doesn't lund mean grove in Swedish? She was born in Wisconsin, but her family emigrated from Holland in the 1850s. Both her father, Hendrick, and her grandfather were born in Holland. My assumption is that at some point (1700s?), a Wernlund from Sweden emigrated to Holland and kept the Swedish name. What do you think?

Regards,
Kent Nelson

2004-08-18, 03:05
Svar #1

Anders Andersson

Charles J. Anderson sounds much too common a name to be identified in Swedish emigration records, when you don't have more precise information.

Wernlund definitely sounds Swedish, and it can be found in a Swedish phone directory although it's not very common: Maybe around 100 subscribers in all of Sweden using one of the spellings Wernlund, Wärnlund, Vernlund or Värnlund (there are a few duplicate subscribers in the phone directory, inflating the actual number of individuals).

The Swedish word värn means approximately protection, shield or guard, but I can also imagine a relationship with the male first name Werner.

2004-08-18, 18:03
Svar #2

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Eight of the 15 listed Wernlunds in the 1890 census are living in the county of Skaraborg. May indicate the origin of this family..

2004-08-19, 00:41
Svar #3

Kent Nelson

Anders, Olle,

Thanks for the Info.

Kent

2018-02-01, 18:39
Svar #4

Utloggad Irene Landsjö

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-09-23, 09:01
    • Visa profil
Kent Nelson, are you still here?
I am searching for a Charles Carl J (Johan) Anderson from Sweden
Born 1869, 15th of August.
Moved to US in 1874, living in Chicago first.
In 1927 he lives in Minnesota, in 1935 he lives in California..

Can´t find him!!

2018-02-02, 09:36
Svar #5

Utloggad Maud Mårtensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2920
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-07-31, 09:45
    • Visa profil

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna